X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thropplenoggin
    • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Curalach View Post
    I agree. The programme was headlined as "David Vickers with a personal recommendation". It would be surprising if his personal view matched that of every listener. To find it "unbearable" suggests a degree of intolerance in the listener.
    I listened to the programme as I do not have a recording of these pieces and accordingly perhaps had no preconceptions. I found it interesting, well presented and, for me, a sensible recommendation.
    Which one will you plump for? Goodman or Ensemble 415?
    It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• waldo
      • Mar 2013

You can listen to pretty substantial excerpts from the Goodman set on the Hyperion website.

I don't know this set and haven't heard the programme yet, but I have to say that I don't feel like quarreling now I have heard the final choice.

Comment

• Black Swan

I agree. The programme was headlined as "David Vickers with a personal recommendation". It would be surprising if his personal view matched that of every listener. To find it "unbearable" suggests a degree of intolerance in the listener.
        I listened to the programme as I do not have a recording of these pieces and accordingly perhaps had no preconceptions. I found it interesting, well presented and, for me, a sensible recommendation.
        I found myself in the same position, that I did not even have a recording of these works. So I was quite open and have ordered the recommended version.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

To find it "unbearable" suggests a degree of intolerance in the listener.
          True. But smugness can be unbearable, and that opening gambit was ultra-smug (in my opinion).

Comment

• Curalach

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
            I have ordered the Goodman but could well be tempted to add the 415.

Comment

• waldo
              • Mar 2013

I know this is an ancient dispute, but I really don't understand what there is beyond the personal taste of the reviewer. Asking the reviewer to put it to one side would be to ask them to surrender the very faculty which makes aesthetic judgments possible in the first place. It can't be done. The most we can ask for is that the taste is informed and developed - and, if we are sensitive to these things, expressed with a bit of tact and humility.

Not that it is relevant here, but I have just had a quick listen to the Marriner and it really does sound as if it has passed it sell-by date. (But that's just my taste.........)

Comment

• Sir Velo
                • Oct 2012

I would agree but go further and say that the following attributes are also required: a thorough knowledge of the score; ideally to be an authority on the composer (the late Robert Simpson on Nielsen; Richard Osborne on Bruckner; Robert Layton on Sibelius; are examples who come to mind); and the ability to advise on recording quality.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by waldo View Post
                  Asking the reviewer to put it to one side would be to ask them to surrender the very faculty which makes aesthetic judgments possible in the first place. It can't be done. The most we can ask for is that the taste is informed and developed - and, if we are sensitive to these things, expressed with a bit of tact and humility.
                  I cannot argue with that. But the tact and humility seemed to be lacking, as though we were being lectured by a politician who I shall not name.

Not that it is relevant here, but I have just had a quick listen to the Marriner and it really does sound as if it has passed it sell-by date. (But that's just my taste.........)
                  Ironically, the clip we were played convinced me otherwise, and I placed an order for the maligned recording.

Comment

• waldo
                    • Mar 2013

Placed on order!

Doesn't anyone use Spotify before they buy? (Or instead of buying?)

Comment

• Sir Velo
                      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                      I cannot argue with that. But the tact and humility seemed to be lacking, as though we were being lectured by a politician who I shall not name.
                      The last five words of that sentence are surely redundant.

Comment

• Sir Velo
                        • Oct 2012

Placed on order!

You do know this is the Luddites forum don't you?

Comment

• MickyD
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
                          Be like me and get both! At times I love the rather hedonistic sound of 415 , but the Goodman is really the version to go for if you only want one, in my view.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                            • Mar 2013

Placed on order!

Yes. I always sample before buying. Though more often I use the French equivalent (and, I must say, superior) Qobuz.
                            It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• Barbirollians
                              • Nov 2010

I could not quite understand all the praise for the Pinnock and then only playing one extract before kicking it off even the shortlist without explanation. I am afraid anyone who heard that BAL would not get a proper impression of the Pinnock set at all . I liked the sound of the Goodman but see no reason to supplement the Pinnock.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                                I could not quite understand all the praise for the Pinnock and then only playing one extract before kicking it off even the shortlist without explanation. I am afraid anyone who heard that BAL would not get a proper impression of the Pinnock set at all . I liked the sound of the Goodman but see no reason to supplement the Pinnock.
                                This often happens on BaL - an apparently favoured version that is ditched without any explanation.

Comment

Working...
                                X