No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BaL 30.03.13 - Bach's Accompanied Violin Sonatas

9.30am Building a Library
    As part of Baroque Spring, Caroline Gill with a personal recommendation from recordings of Bach's accompanied violin sonatas

Recommended:
    Frank Peter Zimmermann (violin), Enrico Pace (piano)
    Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 28-02-15, 10:54.

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    9.30am Building a Library
    As part of Baroque Spring, Caroline Gill with a personal recommendation from recordings of Bach's accompanied violin sonatas
    I assume this is BWV 1014-1019. I've been looking forward to this BaL for a while now, as these are works that I have been getting to know via Qobuz for the past month. It has to be a harpsichord for me, not a modern piano version.

At the top of the pile for me, the exquisite playing of Catherine Manson accompanied by an admirably-restrained Ton Koopman (Challenge Classics). This is followed closely by a very recent release: Chiari Banchini/Jörg-Andreas Böttiger (ZigZag).

I expect Podger/Pinnock (Channel Classics) will do well. I'm a big fan of Pinnock's Bach in general, especially the harpsichord-led stuff, but Podger's violin sound is not to my taste.
    It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

I have the Andrew Manze/Richard Egarr set, which is very much to my taste.

Comment

This is another gap in my collection. I've had Suk (such a great fiddler) with Ruzickova on LP since the 1960s! I'll listen to it again - and look forward to something new.

Comment

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
          I have the Andrew Manze/Richard Egarr set, which is very much to my taste.
          And to mine, too

I also have the NAXOS set with Lucy van Dael and Bob van Asperen, which I find very satisfying if not as imaginative as Manze. Used to be an astonishing bargain before NAXOS put up their prices and the Internet brought everybody else's down.
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

This could be a very illuminating and possibly expensive BaL.

Comment

NOT even MORE baroque - pleeeeeeeeease - give us something else!

Having said that, I do have my occasional baroque listening phases, and have found that my two fav. composers of this era/style are Telemann and Vivaldi.

I've jst seen that it's all part of the baroque spring, so it looks like I'm lumbered with it!

Comment

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                NOT even MORE baroque - pleeeeeeeeease - give us something else!

Having said that, I do have my occasional baroque listening phases, and have found that my two fav. composers of this era/style are Telemann and Vivaldi.

I've jst seen that it's all part of the baroque spring, so it looks like I'm lumbered with it!
                I tend to agree visualnickmos and I'm quite prepared to accept that the failing is mine.

However, have you tried CPE Bach, Duphly and Zelenka? - to my surprise & delight all rather nifty

Comment

Be interested to see how my exquisitely packaged version with Glodeanu and Haas on Ambronay Editions does in the survey. No point having the 'mit obligater violine' played on a 1604 Groblicz and a 1751 Hemsch if the performance doesn't stack up, eh?

Comment

The last 'Baroque Spring' BAL! Hurrah!

I'll just get my coat ...
                    Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

I have Podger/Pinnock, Grumiaux/Jacottet, and Ehnes/Beausejour. I turn to Ehnes most often.

Will seek out Thropplenoggin's recommendations (thanks for those).
                      "Not too heavy on the banjos." E. Morecambe

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Preview View Post
                        "Not too heavy on the banjos." E. Morecambe

Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Preview View Post
                          I have ... Ehnes/Beausejour. I turn to Ehnes most often.

Will seek out Thropplenoggin's recommendations (thanks for those).
                          Glad I've inspired you, Andrew . My copy of Ehnes playing Bach's violin sonatas and partitas arrived today. Utterly wonderful playing, flawless, virtuoso, and superb use of dynamics to draw you into the music. Finally opened these works up for me.

The accompanied sonatas are another treasure that don't get as much recognition, sadly.

Comment

Originally posted by Parry1912 View Post

I like baroque but I'd have to agree. In particular,
                            Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
                            It has to be a harpsichord for me, not a modern piano version.
                            this Baroque Spring mullarkey has worn through my tether to breaking point as regards harpsichords... I have been sent inexorably Beecham-wards and confess to switching off now when I hear more rattling plucked strings...

"...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Parry1912 View Post

Wait until you see what's coming up in April. Nothing of interest to me on all four Saturdays.

Though Nice Guy Calibosh will be pleased with April 13th: Liszt's Piano Concerto No. 2.

Comment

Working...
                              X