Jan DeGaetani
    Kurt Moll
    Natalie Stutzmann
    John Shirley-Quirk
    Jose Van Dam
    Janet Baker
    Alexander Kipnis
    Thomas Quasthoff
    Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 19-06-11, 10:37. Reason: Adiitional versions

EA: wot, no Alexander Kipnis?

Apart from Kipnis I can field Ferrier, Flagstad and Lemalu from your list, plus Janet Baker (is she really NLA?) and Norman Bailey, and single songs by Emmi Leisner and Hans Hotter.
    I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

Looking at Amazon the following caught my eye:

Jan DeGaetani
      Kurt Moll
      Natalie Stutzmann
      John Shirley-Quirk
      Jose Van Dam

Janet Baker is still available and so is Kipnis

And for those who don't like singers, you can choose between Maisky playing cello transcriptions of 1-3, or a solo piano version arr. Reger. Talk about Hamlet without the prince
      I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

I do not know this work, so it be an ideal oppurtunity to hear these songs.
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

I just have the two Ferriers.These songs are thought provoking and beautiful. They and the Richard Strauss Four Last Songs are streets ahead of any similar sets to me.

Comment

Originally posted by salymap View Post
            I just have the two Ferriers. These songs are thought provoking and beautiful. They and the Richard Strauss Four Last Songs are streets ahead of any similar sets to me.
            Seconded. Salymap, one of the two Ferrier sets is with Sargent conducting his orchestration of the songs, I guess?

Comment

Roehre, yes it is. The recording you thought I was being flippant about some time ago,if you remember. I know he loved the songs and his arrangment was made at a very sad time in his life. Whatever I said 'came out wrongly' as it sometimes does. bws

Comment

I appear to have the Kipnis with Gerald Moore from the late 1930s, the DFD with Barenboim and Norman Bailey with John Constable. Plus sundry individual songs (Leisner, Hotter etc).

Comment

EAlpensinfonie, another recording is by Thomas Quasthoff accompanied by Justus Zeyen on DG. The title is "Schubert: Schwanengesang; Brahms: Vier Ernste Gesänge."

It comes highly praised:

Comment

Originally posted by Estelle View Post
                    EAlpensinfonie, another recording is by Thomas Quasthoff accompanied by Justus Zeyen on DG. The title is "Schubert: Schwanengesang; Brahms: Vier Ernste Gesänge."

It comes highly praised:

http://www.amazon.com/Schwanengesang...7022571&sr=1-3
                    Noted and added to the list.

Comment

I'm not sure how many are still in print, but Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau recorded this several times over the years: With Hertha Klust early in his career, Gerald Moore for EMI, Jorg Demus on DG, and again with Moore for a live recording from the Salzburg Festival in the 60s released on Orfeo; probably several more I can't remember off the top of my head. In any event, you can't go wrong with Gerald Moore.

Comment

And DFD with Sawallisch, which earlier I wrongly attributed to Barenboim.

Comment

Am I the only listener who would appreciate a listing on the "CD Review" programme page of the CD/DVDs under consideration in "Building a Library?" It is difficult to hear and understand a long foreign name without being able to consult a listing. Is there a tradition of keeping the contenders selected for this programme secret before the broadcast? I simply cannot understand this omission, especially when it would be so helpful. I am a neophyte who would appreciate being advised as to why no listing is provided!

Comment

Possibly a full listing would be misleading. For reasons of time, it would not be possible to compare all available versions. But if only the ones under discussion were mentioned, there would be howls of protest.

Comment

E.A., Do you think an advance listing of only the works to be heard and discussed on the programme would cause problems? I would think listeners understand that time limitations allow the host to select those performances which s/he considers worthy of consideration. Listeners are given complete playlists for all other R 3 programmes; why is this one hour exempt?

Comment

Working...
                              X