No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BaL 2.11.13 - Brahms Piano Concerto no. 1 in D minor

9.30 a.m.
    Harriet Smith surveys recordings of Brahms's First Piano Concerto and makes a personal recommendation.

The list is vast. I've made notes, but please be patient.

Available versions:

Leif Ove Andsnes, CBSO, Sir Simon Rattle

Claudio Arrau, Concertgebouw Orchestra, Bernard Haitink (download)
    Claudio Arrau, Santiago PO, Juan Pablo Izquierdo (DVD)
    Claudio Arrau, Philharmonia Orchestra, Carlo Maria Giulini
    Claudio Arrau, Bavarian Radio SO, Rafael Kubelik
    Claudio Arrau, French National Orchestra, Carl Schuricht
    Vladimir Ashkenazy, Concertgebouw Orchestra, Bernard Haitink
    Emanuel Ax, Chicago SO, James Levine
    Wilhelm Backhaus, VPO, Karl Böhm (studio & live versions)
    Wilhelm Backhaus, BBC SO, Sir Adrian Boult
    Paul Badura-Skoda, Moscow Academic Music Theatre Orchestra Orchestra, Felex Korobou
    Daniel Barenboim, New Philharmonia Orchestra, Sir John Barbirolli
    Daniel Barenboim, Munich PO, Sergiu Celibidache (DVD)
    Daniel Barenboim, Israel PO, Zubin Mehta (DVD)
    Daniel Barenboim, BPO, Sir Simon Rattle, (DVD)
    Idil Biret, Polish National Radio Orchestra, Antoni Wir
    Alfred Brendel, BPO, Claudio Abbado (download)
    Alfred Brendel, Bavarian Radio SO, Sir Colin Davis
    Rudolf Buchbinder, Concertgebouw Orchestra, Niklaus Harnoncourt
    Rudolf Buchbinder, Israel PO, Zubin Mehta
    Van Cliburn, Boston SO, Erich Leinsdorf
    Clifford Curzon, National SO, Enrique Jorda
    Clifford Curzon, LSO, George Szell
    Bruno Leondardo Delber, Berlin Radio SO, Gerd Albrecht
    Misha Dichter, Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra, Kurt Masur
    Peter Frankl, Hungarian Radio SO, Thamás Vásáry
    Leon Fleisher, Cleveland Orchestra, George Szell
    Leon Fleisher, Boston SO, Pierre Monteux
    Rudolf Firkusny, NYPO, Guido Cantelli
    Rudolf Firkusny, NYPO, Hans Rosbaud
    Rudolf Firkusny, Pittsburg, SO, William Steinberg
    Nelson Freire, Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra, Riccardo Chailly
    Nicola Frisardi, RPO, Hans Graf
    Emil Gilels, BPO, Eugen Jochum
    Glenn Gould, NYPO, Leonard Bernstein
    Glenn Gould, Winnipeg SO, Victor Feldbrill
    Gary Graffman, Boston SO, Charles Munch
    Hélène Grimaud, Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra
    Hélène Grimaud, Staatskapelle Dresden, Kurt Sanderling
    Horacio Gutierrez, RPO, Andre Previn
    Confrad Hansan, RIAS SO, Ferenc Fricsay
    Stephen Hough, Salzburg Mozarteum Orchestra, Mark Wigglesworth
    Vladimir Horowitz, NYPO, Arturo Toscanini
    Vladimir Horowitz, Concertgebouw Orchestra, Bruno Walter
    Jeno Jando, Polish National Radio Symphony Orchestra, Antoni Wit
    William Kapell, Philharmonic SO, Dimitri Mitropoulos
    Julius Katchen, BBC SO, Rudolf Kempe
    Wilhelm Kempff, Saxon State Symphony Orchestra, Konwitschny
    Wilhelm Kempff, Staatskapelle Dredsen, Konwitschny
    Stephen Kovacevich, LSO, Sir Colin Davis
    Stephen Kovacevich, LPO, Wolfgang Sawallisch
    Anton Kuerti, Grand Montreal Metropolitan Orchestra, Joseph Rescigno
    Karin Lechner, Berlin SO, Eduardo Marturet
    John Lill, Hallé Orchestra, James Loughran
    Radu Lupu, LPO, Deo de Waart
    Witold Malcuzinski, Warsaw PO, Sanislav Wislotzki (download)
    Plamena Mangova, National Orchestra of Belgium, Walter Weller
    Israela Margalit, LSO, Bryden Thompson
    Ivan Moravec, Czech PO, Jiri Belohlávec
    Ivan Moravec, Dallas SO, Eduardo Mata (download)
    Maurizio Pollini, BPO, Claudio Abbado
    Maurizio Pollini, VPO, Karl Böhm
    Maurizio Pollini, Staatskapelle Dresden, Christian Thielemann
    Hardy Rittner, L’arte del mondo, Werber Ehrarat
    Arthur Rubenstein, BBC SO, Colin Davis
    Arthur Rubenstein, Concertgebouw Orchestra, Bernard Haitink (DVD)
    Arthur Rubenstein, Israel PO, Zubin Mehta
    Arthur Rubenstein, Chicago SO, Fritz Reiner
    Artur Schnabel, LPO, George Szell
    Lars Sellergren, Stockholm PO, Sixten Ehrling
    Rudolf Serkin, Boston SO, Charles Munch
    Rudolf Serkin, Cleveland Orchestra, George Szell (download)
    Dimitris Sgouros, Sophia PO, Tabakov
    Solomon, Philharmonia Orchestra, Rafael Kubelik
    Solomon, RAI Orchestra of Turin, Lorin Maazel
    Cèdric Tiberghien, BBC SO Jiri Belohlávec
    Alex Weissenberg, LSO, Carlo Maria Giulini
    Kristan Zimerman, VPO, Leonard Bernstein (DVD)
    Kristan Zimerman, Sir Simon Rattle
    Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 26-02-15, 20:35.

I wonder if this has been timed to take account of the new recording from Hélène Grimaud?
    Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

I saw Pierre Laurent-Aimard mangle this work in an impeccable performance by the Philharmonia Orchestra and Christoph Von Dohnanyi. He turned it into two works: a very abstract solo piece for piano with orchestral outbursts/accompaniment.

So, not him.

(I'd probably plump for Fleisher w. Cleveland Orchestra/Szell).
      It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

Ooh where do you stop . Gilels/Jochum. Kovacevich/Sawallisch, Angelich/Jarvi, Barenboim/Barbirolli , Arrau with Haitink and Giulini , Fleischer/Szell, Andsnes/Rattle, Solomon/Kubelik, SErkin/Szell, Rubinstein/Reiner ...

All have something to say - if I had to choose only one though I suspect the performance that has given me most pleasure over the years is the Curzon/Szell.

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
          Ooh where do you stop . Gilels/Jochum. Kovacevich/Sawallisch, Angelich/Jarvi, Barenboim/Barbirolli , Arrau with Haitink and Giulini , Fleischer/Szell, Andsnes/Rattle, Solomon/Kubelik, SErkin/Szell, Rubinstein/Reiner ...

All have something to say - if I had to choose only one though I suspect the performance that has given me most pleasure over the years is the Curzon/Szell.

I would add Julius Katchen, Emil Gilels and Claudio Arrau to that distinguished list.

HS

Comment

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
            I would add Julius Katchen, Emil Gilels and Claudio Arrau to that distinguished list.

HS
            Ogdon with Stokowski live on M & A. Simply phenomenal on every level.

Comment

Originally posted by Il Grande Inquisitor View Post
              I wonder if this has been timed to take account of the new recording from Hélène Grimaud?
              100% certain I'd have thought. Having sat about 3m away from her playing it the other week, I'll be interested to hear how it fares....

Gilels/Jochum almost every time, though I did/do like the Zimerman/Rattle recording too.
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Fond memories of a youthful Barry Douglas (flush with the laurels from his Tchaikovsky success) going full knots at the solo part, with Skrowaczewski and the LSO lending a restraining hand on the tiller.

Re the Curzon/Szell collaboration: probably apocryphal but love the story about how Szell, increasingly riled by Curzon's inability to play the solo part without error, got up and went over to the Steinway and proceeded to play impeccably what Curzon had just made a horlicks of; turn to Sir Cliff and say, "Now Clifford, do you think you could possibly do it like that?"

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                  Having sat about 3m away from her [Grimaud] playing it the other week, I'll be interested to hear how it fares....
                  Will you go to No.2 in January? I booked for the Oxford one a long time ago and heard her give a magnificent No.1 at Symphony Hall last year.

PS A couple of years back I sat on the RFH platform about 3m from Daniel Barenboim as he played LvB Op.111. I give Helene the edge on good looks

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                    Fond memories of a youthful Barry Douglas
                    Likewise - I heard him in the 80s give a fine account of it in Belfast, with the Montreal/Dutoit.

My first live Brahms 1 was Bruno Leonardo Gelber, who also recorded it at some point. Not a name I've heard in a while. His Wiki entry notes his stubby fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                      Likewise - I heard him in the 80s give a fine account of it in Belfast, with the Montreal/Dutoit.

My first live Brahms 1 was Bruno Leonardo Gelber, who also recorded it at some point. Not a name I've heard in a while. His Wiki entry notes his stubby fingers.
                      There is a recent release from Audite of BLG playing the Brahms 1 and very good it is too - coupled also with a splendid live Schumann Cello Concerto with a teenage Jacqueline du Pre .I would recommend it highly .

Amusing as it maybe that Curzon would make mistakes - the finished result is superb.

Comment

I understand he originally conceived this work as a sonata for two pianos - so it is good to see that the naxos series 'Brahms : Four Hand Piano Music' includes both the version for piano duet (one piano four hands) published in 1864 and the version for piano duo (two pianos four hands) published in 1873. They are vols 9 and 17 in this series, with Silke-Thora Matthies & Christian Köhn.

I do hope they get a mention : they certainly deserve it.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post

My first live Brahms 1 was Bruno Leonardo Gelber, who also recorded it at some point. Not a name I've heard in a while.
                          Denon (remember them?) house pianist for a while, IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                            I understand he originally conceived this work as a sonata for two pianos - so it is good to see that the naxos series 'Brahms : Four Hand Piano Music' includes both the version for piano duet (one piano four hands) published in 1864 and the version for piano duo (two pianos four hands) published in 1873. They are vols 9 and 17 in this series, with Silke-Thora Matthies & Christian Köhn.

I do hope they get a mention : they certainly deserve it.
                            I concur that these four-hand versions deserve a mentioning.

The work however started as a project for a symphony.
                            There was an earlier version of the concerto/symphony/four-hands-sonata which included a scherzo.
                            Brahms ultimately decided the material was best suitable for a three mvt piano concerto, though e.g. the use (doubling) of the bassoons in the very opening shows that he was not completely at home in the art of orchestration (despite the two serenades opp.11 and 16).
                            The scherzo eventually found a place in the Deutsches Requiem, though in a slower tempo than originally envisaged.
                            Whatever, the Blitzkrieg opening of the work was too much for the public at the premiere in Leipzig. Critics and public alike trashed the work.

Comment

What are the Zimerman/Bernstein recordings like ? I see their B Flat Concerto is still in the catalogue at full price ! The D Minor apparently superseded by the Rattle is deleted .

Comment

Working...
                              X