Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
    This one is of RVW's most underrated symphonies. Infact, probably his best?
    Without a shadow of doubt BBM,but only IMVH and by no means expert O.

Comment

The 9th was the first RVW symphony I heard when I bought the LPO/Boult recording in advance of hearing a live performance from James Loughran and the Halle Orchestra in 1976. Since then I've also acquired Haitink, Previn, Andrew Davis x2 and Handley.

My immediate impression was of an under-rated masterpiece and that view hasn't changed. I'm happy with the versions I have and don't need to look any further.
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
        One of those rare occasions when I have most of the versions mentioned.

I think the Bakels on Naxos is stunning,indeeed the whole cycle doesn't get the acclaim it deserves IM0.

Availabe for less than £13 new here http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Complete.../dp/B0017PB25Y
        How do the three saxophone players and percussion batterie in the Bakels 'Scherzo' compare with the American players in Stokowski's performance, as per this extract on You Tube? ...

Leopold Stokowski conducted the US Premiere of Vaughan Williams's 9th Symphony in New York on 25 September 1958. The New York Times critic Harold C. Schoenbe...

Comment

One of those rare occasions when I have most of the versions mentioned...
          One of those rare occasions when... I don't think I've got a single recording, nor ever actually heard the work.

Comment

Without a shadow of doubt BBM,but only IMVH and by no means expert O.
            Oh, I think the Fifth casts quite a few shadows, Edgey (as does the Sixth). But the Ninth is the work of a Master at the very top of his game, no mistake.
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
              Oh, I think the Fifth casts quite a few shadows, Edgey (as does the Sixth).
              ... and the Pastoral, too. But with "doubts" of this calibre, who needs certainties?
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

I did not know the work until relatively recently and became acquainted with it through the Haitink recording which I think is very fine indeed . A very great shame that there isn't a Barbirolli. Perhaps a live recording will turn up like his 1950 4th.

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                  I did not know the work until relatively recently and became acquainted with it through the Haitink recording which I think is very fine indeed . A very great shame that there isn't a Barbirolli. Perhaps a live recording will turn up like his 1950 4th.
                  Did JB ever perform the 9th? Certainly, neither the Michael Kennedy or Charles Reid biographies of JB mention it. A curious omission in some ways given JB's close friendship with RVW and short-sighted of EMI not to have given Barbirolli the chance to record the whole cycle while the chance was there.

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                    Did JB ever perform the 9th? Certainly, neither the Michael Kennedy or Charles Reid biographies of JB mention it. A curious omission in some ways given JB's close friendship with RVW and short-sighted of EMI not to have given Barbirolli the chance to record the whole cycle while the chance was there.
                    The whole history of the 9th is a little strange. JB had premiered the 7th and 8th with great success. Then Sargent was given the 9th, without much aplomb. Boult had recorded 1-8 for Decca, but then recorded the 9th for Everest, breaking up the cycle.

Comment

Which of Barbirolli's late EMI recordings would you prefer had not been made, to accommodate the making of the RVW?

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                        Which of Barbirolli's late EMI recordings would you prefer had not been made, to accommodate the making of the RVW?
                        In addition to, not instead of anything that he actually did set down.

Comment

In addition to, not instead of anything that he actually did set down.
                          Is it known that EMI did have the studio time and the money and that Barbirolli had the health and apparently the advocacy of RVW to undetake this or are you guessing?

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                            Is it known that EMI did have the studio time and the money and that Barbirolli had the health and apparently the advocacy of RVW to undetake this or are you guessing?
                            Wishful thinking more than anything. The problem is that EMI had Boult and Barbirolli tackling a lot of the same repertoire and in those days it's doubtful if another RVW cycle would have been contemplated much as we would have been grateful 50 or so years hence to have had it.

Comment

According to the online schedule, Jonathan Swaiin has been allocated a full hour for his review. Good news indeed.

Comment

Wishful thinking more than anything. The problem is that EMI had Boult and Barbirolli tackling a lot of the same repertoire and in those days it's doubtful if another RVW cycle would have been contemplated much as we would have been grateful 50 or so years hence to have had it.
                                Understood Pet!

Comment

Working...
                                X