Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
    Interesting interpretation, Foxy. What would your take be on the last movement of the 6th Symphony?
    I think a verbal quote from VW himself reinforces the extra-musical message of the final bars of the 6th, & also the 9th. When towards the end of his life a well-meaning interlocutor of religious bent inquired whether he had any views as to what would become of him in the afterlife, his reply was gently dismissive - " No, the only thing that will be left of me will be music ! " QEDVW

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
      OT slightly, but I find RVW such an interesting figure. Can anyone recommend a good biography of him?
      Tony Palmer's film O Thou Transcendent is a good all-purpose introduction to VW.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
        Tony Palmer's film O Thou Transcendent is a good all-purpose introduction to VW.
        http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thou-Transce.../dp/B00118DQX8

Comment

Originally posted by FoxyTheCat View Post
          RVW A Biography of Ralph Vaughan Williams by Ursula Vaughan Williams (OUP) is the most authoritative.

For a quicker read Vaughan Williams in The illustrated Lives of Great Composers series by Paul Holmes (Omnibus Press)

or for a short visual presentation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA4NGeyalPg
          I find the Ursula VW biography a little bit 'matter of fact',it's a decent read but feels a bit like a list of what he did,wrote and who he knocked around with.
          Still everything's there I suppose.

These are good.

Ralph Vaughan Williams,A Pictorial Biography,John E. Lunn.

Ralph Vaughan Williams,A Life in Photographs,Jerrold Northrop Moore.

The works of Ralph Vaughan Williams,Michael Kennedy (contains biographical detail as well as analysis of the music).

I reckon there's a stonking big book waiting to be written,along the lines of Northrop Moore's Elgar or Dibble's Parry.
          Who would write it I've no idea.

Comment

I agree with you Rob but the first two books are out of print.

Michael Kennedy's book is the Bible, plus his Catalogue of the Works of RVW (OUP), which is such a vital resource.

Agree there is a big book still to be written, maybe Alain Frogley or Stephen Johnson? I'd give it a go, for the price of a pint but
            the punters would perhaps ignore a biography by his cat!

Comment

I agree with you Rob but the first two books are out of print.

Michael Kennedy's book is the Bible, plus his Catalogue of the Works of RVW (OUP), which is such a vital resource.

Agree there is a big book still to be written, maybe Alain Frogley or Stephen Johnson? I'd give it a go, for the price of a pint but
              the punters would perhaps ignore a biography by his cat!

Comment

Alain Frogley is a co-editor of a recently published volume about VW in the "Cambridge Companion" series.

The BBC documentary "The Passions of Vaughan Williams", which was produced for BBC4 around the same time as Palmer's programme, is on Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by vibratoforever View Post
                  ......... Palmer's programme, is on Youtube
                  Does anyone recall the name of Palmer's programme?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                    Does anyone recall the name of Palmer's programme?

Thanks.
                    Tony Palmer's Film was called 'O Thou Transcendent' it is available as a DVD but I don't think on YouTube.

Comment

Many thanks, Foxy.

Comment

Tony Palmer's Film was called 'O Thou Transcendent' it is available as a DVD but I don't think on YouTube.
                        Someone has made a very good documentary on RVW on YouTube, but for the life of me cannot remember the title.
                        Don’t cry for me
                        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                          Someone has made a very good documentary on RVW on YouTube, but for the life of me cannot remember the title.
                          It was John Bridcutt for the BBC. The Passions of Vaughan Williams

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

It was John Bridcutt for the BBC. The Passions of Vaughan Williams

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUjWo-diK-Y
                            Thanks Foxy, I was sure though he did it off his own back?
                            Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                              Thanks Foxy, I was sure though he did it off his own back?
                              Yep! The problem is that it is not in colour which greatly enhances the original film.

Comment

Yep! The problem is that it is not in colour which greatly enhances the original film.
                                If anyone hasn't seen this film, please do! Strongly recommended!
                                Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                                X