No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BaL 8.02.14 - Vaughan Williams Symphony no. 9

Building a Library 9.30 a.m.
    Jonathan Swain makes a personal recommendation from recordings of Vaughan Willliams' darkly enigmatic 9th Symphony.

Available recordings:-

Bournemouth SO, Kees Bakels
    National Symphony Orchestra, Pedro de Freitas Branco
    LPO, Sir Adrian Boult (2 versions)
    BBC SO, Sir Andrew Davis
    LPO, Bernard Haitink
    RLPO, Vernon Handley
    LSO, Andre Previn
    RPO, Sir Malcolm Sargent
    Philharmonia Orchestra, Leonard Slatkin
    Stokowski Symphony Orchestra, Leopold Stokowski
    London Symphony Orchestra, Bryden Thomson
    Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 27-02-15, 13:00.

Great list as always - but I thought there would have been a few more recordings......

Looking forward to this BaL; tomorrow's as well, for that matter. I quite like Haitink's EMI recording of this from the marvellous box set.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
      Building a Library 9.30 a.m.
      Jonathan Swain makes a personal recommendation from recordings of Vaughan Willliams' darkly enigmatic 9th Symphony.

Available recordings:-

Bournemouth SO, Kees Bakels
      LPO, Sir Adrian Boult (2 versions)
      LSO, Sir Adrian Boult
      BBC SO, Sir Andrew Davis
      LPO, Bernard Haitink
      RLPO, Vernon Handley
      LSO, Richard Hickox
      LSO, Andre Previn
      Philharmonia Orchestra, Leonard Slatkin
      London Symphony Orchestra, Bryden Thomson
      And again it looks like RVW is recorded exclusively if a British orchestra or conductor is involved

Comment

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
        Great list as always - but I thought there would have been a few more recordings......
        Perhaps EA hasn't finished the list yet?

http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...-nuits-d-été

Comment

I really have finished.
          But don't be so glum. When I first became interested in VW in the last 60s, there were ZERO recordings available. The pioneering Boult recording had been deleted. It may still be his least popular symphony, though a poll on the BBC Messageboards revealed it to be many people's favourite, following a Proms performance.

Comment

It may still be his least popular symphony, though a poll on the BBC Messageboards revealed it to be many people's favourite, following a Proms performance.
            Ah, yes! The Andrew Davis eye-opener: my respect for him shot up after that concert - and wasn't it available on a BBCMusMag cover CD? If so, well worth investing in if you can find it.
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Let's not forget:

Comment

I think this symphony has one of the most haunting and mysteriously beautiful endings of any symphony - but not all recordings that I've heard so far, "pull it off" if I can put it like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                  And again it looks like RVW is recorded exclusively if a British orchestra or conductor is involved
                  Two non-British performance have indeed been overlooked:

Leopold Stokowski and his Symphony Orchestra - 'live' US Premiere, Carnegie Hall, 1958, on Cala Records CACD0539
                  Pedro de Freitas Branco and the National Symphony Orchestra - 'live' Portuguese Premiere, also 1958, on Strauss Portugalsom SP 4084

Hopefully the Belgian Premiere will be issued sometime on CD from a 2008 Flemish Radio Orchestra broadcast conducted by Richard Egarr.
                  Until it is released, Egarr's terrific performance can be heard on You Tube ...

Vaughan Williams's last symphony received its World Premiere in 1958 but had to wait until 2008 for its first performance in Belgium. It was part of a "Tribu...

There has never been a complete RVW cycle recorded outside the UK, whereas the number of non-Finnish Sibelius cycles from the USA and Europe make up a very long list indeed. Are RVW's symphonies really that inferior to Sibelius's, I wonder?

I see also that the World Premiere of RVW9 by the RPO under Sargent is on Pristine Audio (PASC 234) and is a much better performance than RVW commentators would at one time have had us believe. It's coupled with Mitropoulos and the NBC SO in a wartime broadcast of RVW's "London" but unfortunately that is not in such good sound as the Sargent BBC broadcast.

Comment

Ah, yes - the Stokowski. I've added it. Not sure whether the de Freitas Branco is generally available.
                    Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 31-01-14, 21:12.

Comment

Ah, yes - the Stokowski. I've added it. Not sure whether the de Freitas Branco is generally available.
                      The Stokowski CD is of course available direct from Cala Records direct, or via Amazon, both as a conventional CD and as a download ...

The Portuguese CD seems to be available as a download if this site is to be believed ...

The Sargent is also available as a CD or a download, as per this link ...

Superb award-winning historic classical, jazz and blues recordings restored and remastered to the highest standards. CDs, HD downloads and streaming services.

Incidentally, Cala also has Stokowski in No. 4 with the NBC SO from a wartime broadcast and No. 6 with the NYPO from 1949. Those, plus his No. 9 from New York and a No. 8 from the 1964 Proms on BBC Legends, go almost halfway to a complete cycle. Pity he didn't record the others!
                      Last edited by seabright; 01-02-14, 13:29.

Comment

One of those rare occasions when I have most of the versions mentioned.

I think the Bakels on Naxos is stunning,indeeed the whole cycle doesn't get the acclaim it deserves IM0.

Availabe for less than £13 new here http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Complete.../dp/B0017PB25Y

Comment

A difficult choice thinking about it,not really a duff one amongst them.

The LPO,Boult (1958)is clearly very special,being recorded so soon after RVW's death,and with the tribute from Sir Adrian on the record.
                          The sound is great too,this would be my choice.

Comment

This one is of RVW's most underrated symphonies. Infact, probably his best?
                            Don’t cry for me
                            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                            X