Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    According to the online schedule, Jonathan Swaiin has been allocated a full hour for his review. Good news indeed.
    While welcome, it is bizarre that a work with relatively few recordings is given ten minutes more than DON was given for the Grieg piano concerto, with versions coming thick and fast.

I'd be happy for BaL to occupy an hour each week (with Interpretations on Record every Sunday afternoon, of course )
    Last edited by Guest; 01-02-14, 13:11. Reason: vowel transposition

Comment

According to the online schedule, Jonathan Swaiin has been allocated a full hour for his review. Good news indeed.
      Hmmm.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Ihave Boult's (I think 1962 version) and his 2nd recording both with the LPO, the Sir Andrew Davies and Vernon Handley, plus individuals. Perhaps I should acquire the Previn?
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
          Ihave Boult's (I think 1962 version) and his 2nd recording both with the LPO, the Sir Andrew Davies and Vernon Handley, plus individuals. Perhaps I should acquire the Previn?
          Don't be too hasty, Bbm - less than a week to 'til BaL

Comment

The list in #1 shows an LSO / Boult recording. On what label can we find that, as I only know of his two LPO versions. The Stokowski incidentally is as available both as a download and as a conventional CD at ÂŁ10.15 direct from Cala itself.

Comment

If anyone is interested in downloading the 1958 Sargent/RPO performance, it can be found here:

The correspondence below the download links is not exactly edifying, although it does shed some light on the otherwise obscurely acrimonious exchange contained in the 'Pristine Audio Favourites' thread elsewhere in this CD Review meta-thread

Comment

Building a Library 9.30 a.m.
                Jonathan Swain makes a personal recommendation from recordings of Vaughan Willliams' darkly enigmatic 9th Symphony.

Available recordings:-

Bournemouth SO, Kees Bakels
                LPO, Sir Adrian Boult (2 versions)
                LSO, Sir Adrian Boult
                BBC SO, Sir Andrew Davis
                LPO, Bernard Haitink
                RLPO, Vernon Handley
                LSO, Richard Hickox
                LSO, Andre Previn
                RPO, Sir Malcolm Sargent
                Philharmonia Orchestra, Leonard Slatkin
                Stokowski Symphony Orchestra, Leopold Stokowski (download)
                London Symphony Orchestra, Bryden Thomson
                Such a (compared to your recent efforts) short list for you to type, Alpie. I hope that you make good use of your free time.

I have the Boult recording, which features a short speech by the Conductor mentioning that the Composer had died the previous day. How can that ever be matched?
                I also have Bryden Thomson and Previn but haven't listened to them in ages.

Comment

This will be an interesting BAL. I have the complete set by Handley and the RLPO. I am going back listening to them again.

Comment

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                    If anyone is interested in downloading the 1958 Sargent/RPO performance, it can be found here:

The correspondence below the download links is not exactly edifying, although it does shed some light on the otherwise obscurely acrimonious exchange contained in the 'Pristine Audio Favourites' thread elsewhere in this CD Review meta-thread
                    It's also on You Tube from an Italian uploader ...

Ralph Vaughan Williams (1872-1958): Sinfonia No.9 in MI minore (1956/1957). Registrazione della prima esecuzione mondiale, Londra, Royal Festival Hall, 2 Apr...

Comment

An amazing performance. It's the only one of the 9th I have!

Comment

Originally posted by seabright View Post
                        How do the three saxophone players and percussion batterie in the Bakels 'Scherzo' compare with the American players in Stokowski's performance, as per this extract on You Tube? ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3DApLXA0ww
                        Remarkably similar,maybe the side drum sounds more prominent in the Stokowski and the saxophones seem to sound more menacing (I think they should sound so,or sinister is maybe a better word) in the Bakels.
                        The timings for this movement are almost identical too.

Interesting piece on Stokowski and RVW here http://www.stokowski.org/Stokowski_a...n_Williams.htm

An introduction to the Symphonies here

I don't know of a Boullt/LSO recording.
                        Last edited by EdgeleyRob; 01-02-14, 20:32.

Comment

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post

I don't know of a Boullt/LSO recording.
                          This could be an error, but in my research, I thought I'd stumbled on a live performance with the LSO.

Comment

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
                            One of those rare occasions when... I don't think I've got a single recording, nor ever actually heard the work.
                            The above is complete rubbish. Can't think who can have written it. I used to have the Boult 9 on an Everest LP in awful sound. Now gone. And I purchased the 1968-1970 Boult set quite recently and have not given it much play time.

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                              Ah, yes! The Andrew Davis eye-opener: my respect for him shot up after that concert - and wasn't it available on a BBCMusMag cover CD? If so, well worth investing in if you can find it.
                              It was a very fine Prom, which I've looked out on DVD this afternoon. It featured an interesting interval feature with CB-H on location in Winchester and at Stonehenge tracing the symphony's Tess roots.
                              Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

It's a pity that neither Norrington nor Hickox recording the 9th as part of their incomplete surveys of the symphonies of RVW. I feel each would have had something of value to contribute.

Comment

Working...
                                X