• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pulcinella
    Host
    • Feb 2014

Originally posted by MickyD View Post

I could possibly have a go at translating the results, but sorry to say that I'm not sure I could do it on a weekly basis. I'm still getting over the Car T cell therapy I had for my lymphoma some months ago and thus am never sure when I will be at my best!

I would suggest anyone interested in the brief summary of winners and losers on the Tribune des Critiques web page simply copies and pastes the summary into a translation service - I find DeepL provides a pretty good free translation.
    See the PM I sent, Micky.
    We're primarily looking for someone(s) simply to start a thread off each week (as I'm currently doing for BaL) for a while to see if interesting discussions follow (though obviously a summary of results would be good).
    But we certainly don't want to impose.
    Just a possible alternative set of discussion threads on works other than those chosen for BaL.
    So perhaps little more than a thread for each of the forthcoming programmes Roger flagged:
    The coming weeks will feature. May 12th Beethoven SQ Op.127.........May 19th Vivaldi La Stravaganza..........May 26th Fauré Nocturnes.........June 2nd Puccini Madame Butterfly.​
    Hope your therapy went (and continues to go, if indeed it is continuing) well, btw.

Comment

• MickyD
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

See the PM I sent, Micky.
      We're primarily looking for someone(s) simply to start a thread off each week (as I'm currently doing for BaL) for a while to see if interesting discussions follow (though obviously a summary of results would be good).
      But we certainly don't want to impose.
      Just a possible alternative set of discussion threads on works other than those chosen for BaL.
      So perhaps little more than a thread for each of the forthcoming programmes Roger flagged:

Hope your therapy went (and continues to go, if indeed it is continuing) well, btw.
      No, you're not imposing at all! I'm happy to see what I could do but as I say, some days are better than others for me...on the whole, I'm making good progress after the therapy, but getting my strength back is a long process.

I was interested to see in Roger's previous message that the Tribune website summary is in English...I haven't been able to find anything else other than the original French.

Comment

• Pulcinella
        Host
        • Feb 2014

No, you're not imposing at all! I'm happy to see what I could do but as I say, some days are better than others for me...on the whole, I'm making good progress after the therapy, but getting my strength back is a long process.

I was interested to see in Roger's previous message that the Tribune website summary is in English...I haven't been able to find anything else other than the original French.
        Watch this space: or, rather, a different one tomorrow, and we'll see what we can do between us.
        Thanks; good to hear of your progress too.

Comment

• Roger Webb
          • Feb 2024

Hi Micky, yes I can get a translation, in fact the page comes up in French and is immediately translated into English....I assume that this is done by Chrome on by my tablet, rather than being 'sent' from France Musique....but I'm so inept at tech nowadays that I can't really say! What OS do you use? Does it have a 'translate function? BTW this happens when I use YLE...one of my favourite stations, the Finnish is translated automatically.

Here's the Grieg from yesterday, interesting to see if it's in English when you open it, it is here.

Quelle est la meilleure version du Concerto pour piano de Grieg ? Radu Lupu pesant, Leon Fleisher démoniaque : Bertrand Boissard, Melissa Khong et Alain Lompech élisent la version de référence du Concerto pour piano d’Edvard Grieg.
          Last edited by Roger Webb; 06-05-24, 22:48.

Comment

• Barbirollians
            • Nov 2010

Sorry to be a bit grumpy about this but can all the Jardin posts not about the Ravel concerto be moved to another thread . They are completely off topic .

Comment

• vibratoforever
              • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
              Sorry to be a bit grumpy about this but can all the Jardin posts not about the Ravel concerto be moved to another thread . They are completely off topic .
              Agree!

Sadly this has been happening quite a bit lately

Comment

• Pulcinella
                Host
                • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                Please be patient: we hope to arrange a new sub-forum very soon, but wanted to assess interest and availability of members to populate it first, were it to be launched.

Comment

• silvestrione
                  • Jan 2011

Please be patient: we hope to arrange a new sub-forum very soon, but wanted to assess interest and availability of members to populate it first, were it to be launched.
                  Sorry Barbirollians, but in view of what Pulcinella says, I will just add that I would very much welcome a sub-forum on La Tribune: it has been mentioned a few times on and off over the years, including by me. The spoken part is mostly beyond my French, but I can read the summary OK.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

I’ll be happy to chip in de temps en temps - there was a period when the works under consideration by the Tribune didn’t float my boat, and I got out of the habit of listening. I plan to get back into it while driving in France this summer - this exchange has usefully reminded me to download appealing programmes from their podcast library.

I suppose for me the downside of an up-to-date thread here on the Forum is that - habitually listening on catch-up - the spoiler effect could undermine the blind-tasting element of the programme…
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• MickyD
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roger Webb View Post

Hi Micky, yes I can get a translation, in fact the page comes up in French and is immediately translated into English....I assume that this is done by Chrome on by my tablet, rather than being 'sent' from France Musique....but I'm so inept at tech nowadays that I can't really say! What OS do you use? Does it have a 'translate function? BTW this happens when I use YLE...one of my favourite stations, the Finnish is translated automatically.

Here's the Grieg from yesterday, interesting to see if it's in English when you open it, it is here.

https://www.radiofrance.fr/francemus...-grieg-1189150
                      Thank you for that, Roger - I searched in vain for the English, but having tried the link you gave, my version comes up in French only. It's presumably automatically generated according to where you live. I'm down in Provence and can happily understand the spoken and written French, but of course if I can't receive the English translation, that's not going to be very helpful for me if I want to contribute straightaway to the future Tribune threads. I use Firefox as my server, but I am probably even more non-tech-savvy than you about how to check if it has a translate function!

Comment

• Roger Webb
                        • Feb 2024

Thank you for that, Roger - I searched in vain for the English,.......................................... I am probably even more non-tech-savvy than you!
                        Yes, I don't think they have one, but because mine always came up in English I thought that was the way it was 'sent'. I've tried sending various pages of France Musique to several people, incl. Pulcinella and they all receive it in French. Interestingly both my Chromebook tablet and my Android (the one I use for France Musique pages) show them in English, but for a fraction of a second I can see they are in French, so I think it is the tablet doing the translating - I see no way of posting in English, apart from doing it 'by hand' so to speak, from the French....far beyond my limited knowledge of the language!

In answer to your second point above, no you're not - I can tell you what it does, but not why!...we do need a tech-savvy person to look into it really.

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

This thread can be tidied up if thought necessary. The sub-forum is now available for new threads.
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Roger Webb
                            • Feb 2024

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                            This thread can be tidied up if thought necessary. The sub-forum is now available for new threads.
                            Thanks French Frank, why don't I start with this coming Sunday's.

Les caprices du Quatuor LaSalle, le chant éperdu du Quartetto Italiano : Fabienne Bouvet, Thomas Dechamps et Célia Oneto Bensaid élisent la version de référence du Quatuor à cordes n°12 de Ludwig van Beethoven.

We are not sure how this post will translate to English, feedback would be appreciated.

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Roger Webb View Post

Thanks French Frank, why don't I start with this coming Sunday's.

Les caprices du Quatuor LaSalle, le chant éperdu du Quartetto Italiano : Fabienne Bouvet, Thomas Dechamps et Célia Oneto Bensaid élisent la version de référence du Quatuor à cordes n°12 de Ludwig van Beethoven.

We are not sure how this post will translate to English, feedback would be appreciated.
                              I got a pop-up asking if I wanted it to be translated. On screen it became: Beethoven's String Quartet No. 12 in the ears of the Tribune but the podcast would still be in French wouldn't it, and the url to the translated page was the same as yours.

Do you want to start a new thread for each work, as for BaL? E.g. La Tribune: Beethoven String Quartet No 12 op. 127.
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• silvestrione
                                • Jan 2011

A little while back, I notice, they chose Toscanini for Sibelius Sym 2!

Comment

Working...
                                X