• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pulcinella
    Host
    • Feb 2014

La Tribune 12.05.2024 - Beethoven: String quartet Op 127

A post to launch the first of our new La Tribune threads!
    Many thanks to those who have offered to populate the sub-forum with future episodes.
    Last edited by Pulcinella; 11-05-24, 10:59. Reason: Holding post edited to say something more sensible!
  • Roger Webb
    • Feb 2024

Les caprices du Quatuor LaSalle, le chant éperdu du Quartetto Italiano : Fabienne Bouvet, Thomas Dechamps et Célia Oneto Bensaid élisent la version de référence du Quatuor à cordes n°12 de Ludwig van Beethoven.

Comment

• Roger Webb
      • Feb 2024

After much listening and thought my list of eight contenders (I know, your favourite is missing).

Amadeus ('82).......Berg (live).......Takács ('05)........Lindsay........Vegh........Italian... .....Ébène (live).......Quartetto di Cremona (a new discovery)

Overall choice has to go to Italians - I grew up with it.....but for 'today' my recommendation is the Ébène (live)

Last edited by Roger Webb; 10-05-24, 11:20.

Comment

• ostuni
        • Nov 2010

I have yet to listen to the Ebène's Beethoven. I expect they’ll turn up as one of the Tribune’s six, which I shall enjoy listening to some time after Sunday (avoiding spoilers here…). I got to know the late quartets back in the 1970s, from the Amadeus set, but a decade or so later discovered the Vegh's stereo set, which seemed to be on a different level altogether. In the 90s, inspired by various posts on the old RMCR listserv, I explored the various US approaches (Yale, FAQ, Juilliard etc), but decided I preferred the European sounds of the Alban Berg.

In more recent times, my tastes (influenced by many years of playing alongside period-instrument string players) have moved towards a leaner, cleaner approach to string sound, and my current favourite (for early & middle, as well as late Beethoven) is Cuarteto Casals - though I must listen again to the Belceas' recording, because I heard them last week at the Wigmore playing Brahms sextets (with Zimmermann and Queyras) and was reminded just what a superb quartet they are.

Comment

• Roger Webb
          • Feb 2024

Originally posted by ostuni View Post
          I have yet to listen to the Ebène's Beethoven. I expect they’ll turn up as one of the Tribune’s six, which I shall enjoy listening to some time after Sunday (avoiding spoilers here…). I got to know the late quartets back in the 1970s, from the Amadeus set, but a decade or so later discovered the Vegh's stereo set, which seemed to be on a different level altogether. In the 90s, inspired by various posts on the old RMCR listserv, I explored the various US approaches (Yale, FAQ, Juilliard etc), but decided I preferred the European sounds of the Alban Berg.

In more recent times, my tastes (influenced by many years of playing alongside period-instrument string players) have moved towards a leaner, cleaner approach to string sound, and my current favourite (for early & middle, as well as late Beethoven) is Cuarteto Casals - though I must listen again to the Belceas' recording, because I heard them last week at the Wigmore playing Brahms sextets (with Zimmermann and Queyras) and was reminded just what a superb quartet they are.
          Thanks for sharing that, I hope La Tribune does play the Ébène 'round the world' Qt......try and get to hear them, I think you'll be impressed.

I have to listen on 'catch-up' too, and, although I may post the six chosen 'contenders', I won't post the podcast with the final order until Monday or probably Tuesday.

Agree about the Vegh later set on Valois, it had a similar effect after the Italians to that which you describe after the Amadeus.

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

... like many, grew up with the Italians and the Hungarians, also the Guarneri; made my due obeissance to the Busch, then the Vlach, Vegh, Takacs, Talich... when I listen now it's probably the Belcea or the Mosaiques...
            Last edited by vinteuil; 11-05-24, 13:56.

Comment

• Roger Webb
              • Feb 2024

For the first time in weeks I would have been able to hear La Tribune 'live'.....but we had the most tremendous storm which knocked out the internet.....I do however know the result, but I won't put it up until probably tomorrow.

The six recordings that were considered were.....in no particular order:-....Prazak.....Berg (1981)....La Salle......Ébène......Artemis......Italian.

Comment

• Roger Webb
                • Feb 2024

The report on La Tribune on Beethoven String Quartet Op 127

Les caprices du Quatuor LaSalle, le chant éperdu du Quartetto Italiano : Fabienne Bouvet, Thomas Dechamps et Célia Oneto Bensaid élisent la version de référence du Quatuor à cordes n°12 de Ludwig van Beethoven.

Glad to see my all-time favourite selected as their first choice.......and my 'second choice' as their third choice.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                  Host
                  • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Roger Webb View Post
                  The report on La Tribune on Beethoven String Quartet Op 127

Glad to see my all-time favourite selected as their first choice.......and my 'second choice' as their third choice.
                  And apart from having to choose your cookie option, you don't need any French to find out the order in which they place their selected recordings.

Comment

• vinteuil
                    • Nov 2010

... a useful reminder that French writing on music performance is really untranslatable into anything that makes sense in English.

Comment

• MickyD
                      • Nov 2010

Next week La Stravaganza, hope to contribute to that one.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                        Host
                        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                        Next week La Stravaganza, hope to contribute to that one.
                        The thread is up and running, Micky, so go ahead!

Comment

• Roger Webb
                          • Feb 2024

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

And apart from having to choose your cookie option, you don't need any French to find out the order in which they place their selected recordings.
                          Quite neat isn't it, with a little picture of each sleeve - I've tested this on all our 4 devices and it translates ok....I've discovered that Google Translate is doing it - in fact once set it translates all the foreign radio station info. WDR, BR klassik, NPO etc without having to ask it.....is this not an option on your devices?

Comment

• gurnemanz
                            • Nov 2010

I tried this out of curiosity and to test my French (A Level, well over 50 years ago and exposure to mélodies). The podcast on my streamer proved the best way of linking it to my hifi setup. I am a linguist (mainly German ...) but wasn't catching enough of the drift to make it a useful exercise. It seemed a bit wordy - even if one was understanding it. I didn't go beyond about 20 minutes and on that basis obviously cannot offer a valid verdict on the programme as a whole.

It's an interesting idea for a programme but, if I've grasped the format correctly, it strikes me that potential flaws are that the pundits are listening to versions chosen by someone else, so their own preferred recording/s might not actually be involved and that recordings are rejected on the basis of hearing extracts only - how can that be a reliable method? With an opera, say, particularly.

Re blind listening: in opera or song they are surely in many cases going to recognise the voice - eg Callas.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                              ... like many, grew up with the Italians and the Hungarians, also the Guarneri; made my due obeissance to the Busch, then the Vlach, Vegh, Takacs, Talich... when I listen now it's probably the Belcea or the Mosaiques...
                              I wonder why the Hungarian Quartet hasn’t had a major reissue. Warner reissued the mono set but not the stereo,afaik. I obtained the stereo set with difficulty from France many years ago and it’s still my preferred set but a modern remaster would be nice

Comment

Working...
                              X