• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pulcinella
    Host
    • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
    Suspecting an innate gallic resistance to a British "winner" I reckon Fabio Biondi and his band are strong contenders. Great sound and exciting performances .
    Surely provenance should not be apparent in a blind listening though, good sir?

Comment

• Roger Webb
      • Feb 2024

Suspecting an innate gallic resistance to a British "winner" .
      I doubt this, as Pulcinella says the listening is 'blind'. The charge could be brought that not enough British artist are even selected for consideration - hard to reconcile this with the fact that this year so far British artists have been placed 1st four times:- Bach Cello Suite No1 David Watkins...Beethoven Piano Concerto No5 Stephen Hough......Mahler Sym 6 Sir John Barbirolli.....Byrd Mass for 5 Voices Hilliard. Not bad in less than 20 shows, eh?........and a British work featured as well.

The only time I can remember a comment being made that could be (mis?) construed as anti British is Janet Baker's rendition of Delage's Hindu Songs.....although they did like Felicity Lott's - and so do I! The French are notoriously fussy about their language......if we applied the same criteria half our radio presenters would be sacked!

Comment

• MickyD
        • Nov 2010

Suspecting an innate gallic resistance to a British "winner" I reckon Fabio Biondi and his band are strong contenders. Great sound and exciting performances .
        I haven't heard that recording and have often wondered if I'd like it. For me the likes of Biondi are exciting in concert but not for a library choice. All the same, I must try and find it and have a listen.

Comment

• Sir Velo
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

Ah but it could affect the pre selection, non?

Comment

• Sir Velo
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by MickyD View Post

I haven't heard that recording and have often wondered if I'd like it. For me the likes of Biondi are exciting in concert but not for a library choice. All the same, I must try and find it and have a listen.
            For me Biondi's performance of L'estro armonico is still the clear 1st choice after 20+ years and the most exciting Vivaldi performances I've heard (alongside Sergio Azzolini's bassoon concertos).

Comment

• richardfinegold
              • Sep 2012

The name of the Orchestra is very Italianate (in the Podger recording).

Comment

• richardfinegold
                • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Roger Webb View Post

I've just swapped over to the Podger from the Simon Standage/Pinnock, and I agree about both the playing and the sound (I'm getting 24bit/192k from Qobuz into a Sabre ess 2019 DAC monitoring on Quad 2812s), I'll keep this on for a while as I know the Standage - good for its time - but the Podger has something special, can't put my finger on it yet.
                The Podger “La Cetra” set has a similar recorded feel. These 2 sets have been a good share of my Vivaldi listening over the past few years

Comment

• Roger Webb
                  • Feb 2024

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post

The Podger “La Cetra” set has a similar recorded feel. These 2 sets have been a good share of my Vivaldi listening over the past few years
                  Yes, thanks, I'm a fan already! Of course I've heard some on Radio 3 as each release comes out, but not really sat down and listened seriously. I do notice the strings have a rounder sound, or smoother, you could say, than the Standage/Pinnock - this of course is an older 16 bit 44.1k recording, which I often find is a bit 'grainy'. The Podger does have very good dynamics, and late last night with the lights dimmed the sound was very convincing.

Edit. Just playing Podger 'La Cetra'. Very impressive, but there's a fault on the first movt. of the 2nd concerto at 57 secs on Qobuz. How are you playing it? If streaming which service?
                  Last edited by Roger Webb; 14-05-24, 13:13.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                    Host
                    • Feb 2014

Ah but it could affect the pre selection, non?
                    I don't know/understand the process of choosing the six to comment.
                    Listener suggestions (so French-dominated) before the programme?
                    Maybe mea cupla if I've not read the threads closely enough.

Comment

• Roger Webb
                      • Feb 2024

I don't know/understand the process of choosing the six to comment.
                      Listener suggestions (so French-dominated) before the programme?
                      Maybe mea cupla if I've not read the threads closely enough.
                      See my post #17, but I'm sure listeners are not asked to suggest versions....I think this is down to Jérémie Rousseau (producer/presenter) France Musique's very own CDmcG! As I said above looking at the number of times British artists are included/win, any charges of selection along national lines don't stack up.

Comment

• MickyD
                        • Nov 2010

See my post #17, but I'm sure listeners are not asked to suggest versions....I think this is down to Jérémie Rousseau (producer/presenter) France Musique's very own CDmcG! As I said above looking at the number of times British artists are included/win, any charges of selection along national lines don't stack up.
                        You're quite right, the six selections are down to Rousseau. What I really enjoy about the blind listening is the shock you can hear in some of the critics voices once they have eliminated one contender and then learn who it was. It makes for great listening and I cannot believe it would cost R3 to do their own version.

Comment

• Roger Webb
                          • Feb 2024

You're quite right, the six selections are down to Rousseau. What I really enjoy about the blind listening is the shock you can hear in some of the critics voices once they have eliminated one contender and then learn who it was. It makes for great listening and I cannot believe it would cost R3 to do their own version.
                          I quite agree Micky, what a lovely thought, CDMcG 'in the chair' and Owen-Norris, Kate Molleson and Flora Willson fighting it out! Imagine, though a panel made up of Tom Service, Elizabeth Alker and Georgia Mann....how could the BBC pass up an opportunity like that! Blind listening? You bet!!

I thought it was Rousseau who probably chose, of course you're always going to upset someone.....

Comment

• MickyD
                            • Nov 2010

I quite agree Micky, what a lovely thought, CDMcG 'in the chair' and Owen-Norris, Kate Molleson and Flora Willson fighting it out! Imagine, though a panel made up of Tom Service, Elizabeth Alker and Georgia Mann....how could the BBC pass up an opportunity like that! Blind listening? You bet!!

I thought it was Rousseau who probably chose, of course you're always going to upset someone.....
                            I fear that with a panel like that, you'd never hear anyone else but Tom Service !

Comment

• Roger Webb
                              • Feb 2024

I fear that with a panel like that, you'd never hear anyone else but Tom Service !
                              Yes, the T Service does tend to rattle on a bit.....

Comment

• richardfinegold
                                • Sep 2012

Yes, thanks, I'm a fan already! Of course I've heard some on Radio 3 as each release comes out, but not really sat down and listened seriously. I do notice the strings have a rounder sound, or smoother, you could say, than the Standage/Pinnock - this of course is an older 16 bit 44.1k recording, which I often find is a bit 'grainy'. The Podger does have very good dynamics, and late last night with the lights dimmed the sound was very convincing.

Edit. Just playing Podger 'La Cetra'. Very impressive, but there's a fault on the first movt. of the 2nd concerto at 57 secs on Qobuz. How are you playing it? If streaming which service?
                                No, I have good old fashioned SACDs at my disposal, but I will try to listen to that specific passage to see if the defect is present

Comment

Working...
                                X