X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roger Webb
    • Feb 2024

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post

No, I have good old fashioned SACDs at my disposal, but I will try to listen to that specific passage to see if the defect is present
    Thanks Richard, it's quite possible/likely that the fault is peculiar to Qobuz...a blip when it was loaded or something - I'm trying out a new streamer so it would be nice to trace the fault as it might be that.

Comment

• richardfinegold
      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Roger Webb View Post

Yes, thanks, I'm a fan already! Of course I've heard some on Radio 3 as each release comes out, but not really sat down and listened seriously. I do notice the strings have a rounder sound, or smoother, you could say, than the Standage/Pinnock - this of course is an older 16 bit 44.1k recording, which I often find is a bit 'grainy'. The Podger does have very good dynamics, and late last night with the lights dimmed the sound was very convincing.

Edit. Just playing Podger 'La Cetra'. Very impressive, but there's a fault on the first movt. of the 2nd concerto at 57 secs on Qobuz. How are you playing it? If streaming which service?
      I’ve just played the SACD and listened to the relevant passage twice and there is no defect

Comment

• Roger Webb
        • Feb 2024

I’ve just played the SACD and listened to the relevant passage twice and there is no defect
        Thanks for your trouble Richard, it must be a faulty upload at Qobuz's server. I've tried all the streaming services and find Qobuz 100% reliable...up til now.

So keen on Podger now that we are thinking of attending the Brecon Baroque festival in October, although the details are not published, a 'French' theme is all they've said. We think we may hire a narrowboat on the Monmouth and Brecon Canal to use as a base!

Thanks again

Comment

• Sir Velo
          • Oct 2012

Edit. Just playing Podger 'La Cetra'. Very impressive, but there's a fault on the first movt. of the 2nd concerto at 57 secs on Qobuz. How are you playing it? If streaming which service?
          Have you tried clearing the cache? I've just listened on Qobuz at CD quality and no fault noted.

Comment

• Roger Webb
            • Feb 2024

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
            Have you tried clearing the cache? I've just listened on Qobuz at CD quality and no fault noted.
            Thanks Sir V, no I haven't, in fact I now notice that it plays perfectly using just my tablet on the Qobuz app. but is faulty via the Playfi app. and both my streamers. I'll try clearing the Playfi app. cache.....thanks for the tip.

Edit. Thats done it! Cleared the cache in the Playfi app. force stopped it, opened it and it now plays perfectly. Strange no other albums were affected, and that it always stopped at exactly the same point. Reading a bit about streamers, it seems many good ones are undermined by poor operating apps. Thanks again.
            Last edited by Roger Webb; 16-05-24, 08:18.

Comment

• richardfinegold
              • Sep 2012

Thanks for your trouble Richard, it must be a faulty upload at Qobuz's server. I've tried all the streaming services and find Qobuz 100% reliable...up til now.

So keen on Podger now that we are thinking of attending the Brecon Baroque festival in October, although the details are not published, a 'French' theme is all they've said. We think we may hire a narrowboat on the Monmouth and Brecon Canal to use as a base!

Thanks again
              It was no trouble at all, more like a labor of love. Where exactly is the festival to be held? I assumed Brecon was somewhere in France.

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

It was no trouble at all, more like a labor of love. Where exactly is the festival to be held? I assumed Brecon was somewhere in France.
                ... it takes place in the Brecon Beacons National Park, in the Welsh Marches, ie the borderlands between Wales and England. As of last year the name for the Brecon Beacons is officially Bannau Brycheiniog -

Comment

• Sir Velo
                  • Oct 2012

Thanks Sir V, no I haven't, in fact I now notice that it plays perfectly using just my tablet on the Qobuz app. but is faulty via the Playfi app. and both my streamers. I'll try clearing the Playfi app. cache.....thanks for the tip.

Edit. Thats done it! Cleared the cache in the Playfi app. force stopped it, opened it and it now plays perfectly. Strange no other albums were affected, and that it always stopped at exactly the same point. Reading a bit about streamers, it seems many good ones are undermined by poor operating apps. Thanks again.
                  My pleasure. Whenever I have any kind of software issue the first question they always ask is "Have you cleared the cache?" Doesn't always work but usually worth a try.

As it happens my preference with Qobuz is to import files first before listening as I find this tends to prevent glitches in playback.

Comment

• Roger Webb
                    • Feb 2024

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post

My pleasure. Whenever I have any kind of software issue the first question they always ask is "Have you cleared the cache?" Doesn't always work but usually worth a try.

As it happens my preference with Qobuz is to import files first before listening as I find this tends to prevent glitches in playback.
                    Yes, actually I was going to try downloading the album, saving it and see if it played properly then. I do download a load of stuff to play offline if I'm going somewhere with no internet - for example we stay in National Trust properties, but I've never considered it for day to day use. As I've had no problems before, and it seems ok now, I'll probably carry on as I am, but I'll bear that tip in mind. Thanks again.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                      Host
                      • Feb 2014

We would welcome any updates on the programme once it's broadcast; Roger won't be around and is unable to assist this time round.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                        • Nov 2010

I had forgotten how good Standage and Pinnock's set is . Listened to it all the way through on Friday with a great deal of pleasure.

Comment

• MickyD
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                          We would welcome any updates on the programme once it's broadcast; Roger won't be around and is unable to assist this time round.
                          Ok, unless I have any unexpected interruptions, I'm due to be listening to it this afternoon and will do my best to give details.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                            Host
                            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by MickyD View Post

Ok, unless I have any unexpected interruptions, I'm due to be listening to it this afternoon and will do my best to give details.

Comment

• MickyD
                              • Nov 2010

Starting well, one of the critics on the panel is violinist Julien Chauvin, director of Le Concert de la Loge! One of the other critics has already declared his love of the Podger version, even if he doesn't know which versions are on the list.

Comment

• MickyD
                                • Nov 2010

First two eliminations - Fabio Biondi and L'Europa Galante on Virgin - the panel found it too uniform, the same amount of colour and light and that it doesn't breathe. Must admit I was surprised this version was by Biondi. Sorry, Sir Velo, I know you like it!

Second elimination is that by Anton Martynon and Modo Antiquo on Dynamic - considered superficial, heavy, lacking imagination and in bad taste! I have to say I agree with this decision, the least attractive of the six versions.

Allez, on to the final four!

Comment

Working...
                                X