Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haydn 2032

Performing and recording all 107 of Haydn’s symphonies to the deadline of his 300th anniversary in 2032!

Really enjoying the unfolding of this project and how the symphonies aren’t chosen in the usual way. Four releases and twelve symphonies in, and Il Giardino Armonico and director, Giovanni Antonini have delivered some extremely interesting performances. The most recent release contains among others, an excellent symphony #60, Il Distratto

Comment

Haydn came to refer to this piece as 'Der alte Schmarn' (The old rubbish).

Comment

Originally posted by rauschwerk View Post
        Haydn came to refer to this piece as 'Der alte Schmarn' (The old rubbish).
        "den alten Schmarrn", Shrovely[sic]?

Comment

Well, I hope Maestro Antonini survives to complete the series (and that I survive to listen to it). I just downloaded volumes 3 and 4. I liked the first two a lot, although for me they're a bit "too conducted" sometimes. Of course Haydn's music would generally have been led from the first violin or the keyboard (which of these is still the subject of debate), which places certain limits on how much micromanagement of tempo and phrasing might be thought appropriate. But the playing of Giardino Armonico is really the way I like Haydn to sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
            Well, I hope Maestro Antonini survives to complete the series (and that I survive to listen to it).
            I was just going to say, this whole thing sounds like tempting fate something shocking

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
              I was just going to say, this whole thing sounds like tempting fate something shocking

... well, I may treat myself to the concluding volume - as my eightieth birthday present

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                The Maestro will be but 67 years of age in 2032. I am somewhat older than Richard but I certainly aim to still be around and compos mentis come that year. It's only 15 years away, after all.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                  It's only 15 years away, after all.

Comment

It's only 15 years away, after all.
                    I was thinking more of, erm, external factors, rather than health and well-being. That's the rest of the current presidential term, plus three more, not to mention....but just ignore me, it'll probably all be fine

Comment

"den alten Schmarrn", Shrovely[sic]?
                      German - not my strong point!

Comment

Rauschwerk is correct in fact. I would normally say "Haydn referred to the work as der alte Schmarrn", or "as alter Schmarrn", using the nominative, whereas Haydn presumably wrote something like "schicken Sie mir den alten Schmarrn", which is the context of the quote, when asking for a copy of the score to be sent to him, using the accusative.

Comment

I'm a wee bit confused by this project...the official Haydn 2032 website says that Antonini will direct the symphonies, but shared between Il Giardino Armonico and the Kammerorchester Basel. I always believed that the latter was a modern instrument ensemble, although adopting period practices - so does this mean that technically the cycle will not be totally on period instruments?

Comment

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                            I always believed that the latter was a modern instrument ensemble, although adopting period practices - so does this mean that technically the cycle will not be totally on period instruments?
                            My understanding is that the Kammerorchester Basel uses either "modern" or period instruments depending on the repertoire.

Comment

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                              I'm a wee bit confused by this project...the official Haydn 2032 website says that Antonini will direct the symphonies, but shared between Il Giardino Armonico and the Kammerorchester Basel. I always believed that the latter was a modern instrument ensemble, although adopting period practices - so does this mean that technically the cycle will not be totally on period instruments?
                              It does appear somewhat unclear, though what is there to make of the comment in the "In the footsteps of Joseph Haydn" section:

"It is many years since a recording was made of all of Haydn's symphonies. And there has never been a complete recording of all the symphonies played on historic instruments."?

To me that at least implies that the recordings, if not all the concerts, in the project will use "historic instruments".

However, having now seen Richard's comment re. the instruments used by the Kammerorchester Basel, it looks more certain that the whole project will employ historic instruments.

Comment

Working...
                              X