Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bychkov's Tchaikovsky Project with The Czech Philharmonic

Really surprised to see PRESTO advertising The Complete Tchaikovsky Symphonies as well as the Piano Concertos and various other works on a complete 8 disc set slated for a 30th August release. Having purchased the first two volumes it seems a big step to release everything in one box.

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
    Really surprised to see PRESTO advertising The Complete Tchaikovsky Symphonies as well as the Piano Concertos and various other works on a complete 8 disc set slated for a 30th August release. Having purchased the first two volumes it seems a big step to release everything in one box.
    To be honest, it's so long since the second release that I thought the project had foundered. Both issues were fine, the Manfred being exceptionally fine, but I did wonder about the rationale behind the series when there are already very many good Tchaikovsky sets out there in what is a crowded market
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

There are many fine versions out there. Perhaps it’s time for the record companies to embark on projects from the lesser known repertoire, which deserves more recognition.
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Mrs. PG's godfather plays in the Czech Philharmonic so we'll definitely get it. I'm not sure the Czech Phil have recorded a full Tchaikovsky cycle so this'll be another to add to the many.

Comment

I listened to the first two symphonies (I agree the Sixth and Manfred were good) - but was not impressed, especially in No 2. There is a distinct lack of impetus, I have about half a dozen recordings of the Second and Bychkov was slower than all of them in all four movements... The Second Piano Concerto however was very enjoyable.

Comment

I’ve heard a lot of mixed feelings about this set. I’ve listened to the first three symphonies and then I heard Jansons’s cycle. The latter is far superior I hasten to add, despite its age but I see that Chandos have remastered this set.
            I find this most unusual, because Bychkov alwAys, in my mind, sets a very high standard. This set just feels underwhelming.
            Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

I guess that I will be an outlier here. I listened through the Symphonies on Qobuz a few weeks ago and thought it was excellent, with the best recording of the Second that I am familiar with

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                I guess that I will be an outlier here. I listened through the Symphonies on Qobuz a few weeks ago and thought it was excellent, with the best recording of the Second that I am familiar with
                Well I better hear this again then!
                Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                X