Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our Summer BAL 40: Ravel Piano Trio

Just returned, jet-lagged, from Australia, I reach for one of my 'comfort' pieces, Ravel's Piano Trio in A from 1914.

Fairly recently I acquired the well-received recording by the Capucons and Frank Braley. But my default is always the Trio di Trieste on LP from 1960.

What do boarders prefer in this work?

Since it 'won' the French critics' round table on the work, I've discovered and love the performance by the Trio Dali

I also have the Capuçons/Braley, and also Bell/Thibaudet/Isserlis and the J-J Kantorow (used in the film 'Un Coeur en Hiver')

I'd put the Dali performance top, though I don't know the Trieste recording.
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Very interesting from Caliban. I am going to have to look and see if I don't have a Capucon recording of this work in one of the Martha Argerich and Friends from Lugano. Both the Capucon brothers regularly perform on them.

Just checked and no. I only have a recording by the Trio Fontenay. So I may need to invest....

j

Comment

At the risk of derision, may I say that the recording on Naxos with the Joachim Trio is fab. and very well recorded as well. Paired with Debussy's Trio No 1, and a tiny piece by Schmitt(?) Ref. 8.550934

I would like to hear some alternative recordings, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
          the Trio Dali
          Ah! Time just melts away in their performance.

I have just the one recording of this lovely work, Pladermacher, Jarry & Tournus, recorded in 1968 for EMI France. I need to get a couple more to supplement it.
          Last edited by ferneyhoughgeliebte; 06-09-14, 20:26.
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
            Just returned, jet-lagged, from Australia, I reach for one of my 'comfort' pieces, Ravel's Piano Trio in A from 1914.

Fairly recently I acquired the well-received recording by the Capucons and Frank Braley. But my default is always the Trio di Trieste on LP from 1960.

What do boarders prefer in this work?
            I'm with you on the Trio di Trieste (I first got to know it in my grandad's LP collection, and it's reissued on CD in DG's Original Masters box of TdiT recordings).
            There have certainly been some good recent ones, but among the half dozen I have, it's this old favourite that I always come back to.

Comment

Originally posted by makropulos View Post
              I'm with you on the Trio di Trieste... and it's reissued on CD in DG's Original Masters box of TdiT recordings).
              ÂŁ168 and more for 5 CDs from Amazon suppliers.

P-lease.

Comment

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                At the risk of derision, may I say that the recording on Naxos with the Joachim Trio is fab. and very well recorded as well. Paired with Debussy's Trio No 1, and a tiny piece by Schmitt(?) Ref. 8.550934

I would like to hear some alternative recordings, too.
                Snap!

Comment

Originally posted by makropulos View Post
                  I'm with you on the Trio di Trieste (I first got to know it in my grandad's LP collection, and it's reissued on CD in DG's Original Masters box of TdiT recordings).
                  There have certainly been some good recent ones, but among the half dozen I have, it's this old favourite that I always come back to.
                  A golden period of chamber recordings. A box I value highly (as the LPs are boxed up long since) and a wonderful rounded performance.

Comment

I just watched the movie "Birdman", which features the sublime slow movement. I only have one recording--3 anonymous French Musicians on a CD-R I must have made 20 years ago--and I must say I don't recognize any of the Trios recommended in this thread. Did any of the "Big Boy" Trios ever recordthis piece? Beaux Arts, Oistrakh, Million Dollar, etc?

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                      I just watched the movie "Birdman", which features the sublime slow movement. I only have one recording--3 anonymous French Musicians on a CD-R I must have made 20 years ago--and I must say I don't recognize any of the Trios recommended in this thread. Did any of the "Big Boy" Trios ever recordthis piece? Beaux Arts, Oistrakh, Million Dollar, etc?
                      The Beaux Arts certainly have

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ravel-Piano-...vel+piano+trio

And the Oistrakh:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trio-Minor-D...vel+piano+trio

Comment

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                        A golden period of chamber recordings. A box I value highly (as the LPs are boxed up long since) and a wonderful rounded performance.
                        Just spotted this. I didn't know much about the Trio di Trieste, and this page is in Italian - http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trio_di_Trieste

The Trio started to be known around 1933, and gave its last performances in 1995. Only the cello player was changed during the 60 years of its performing history.

They went on a tour of South America in 1963, and a river steamer they travelled on caught fire, so they had to jump overboard. The cello (Stradivarius) was lost, and the violin was ruined - http://classicalmusicianstoza.blogsp...i-trieste.html

Comment

The Beaux arts Trio recorded the Ravel Trio many times, including three with Giulet (Parlophone LP, Philips LP/CD, SWR Festival 1960 on Hanssler CD) one with Cohen (digital 1983), and probably more as the personnel changed further - I haven't kept up.

The Trio di Trieste recorded the work for HMV on 78s in June 1947, and again for DGG in 1959. The first probably never reissued commercially, the latter in the 'Originals' box.

As to other 'big boys', most of them have recorded it, including:

Boise
                          Bolzano
                          Borodin
                          Caecilian
                          Capucons
                          Collard et al
                          Czech
                          Florestan
                          Italiano
                          Joachim
                          Nash
                          Rubinstein/Heifetz/Piatigorsky
                          Menuhin/Kentner/Cassado
                          Mondrian
                          Oistrakh/Knushevitsky/Oborin
                          Ravel
                          Wanderer

Comment

Just ordered a Beux Arts recording for the princely sum of 54 cents. To bad the shipping charge is 5 times that

Comment

A lovely work. I haven't heard any of the Beaux Arts' recordings of it but must try to as they could generally be relied on to set the benchmark for almost anything they played. My only recording of the Ravel is the Florestan Trio on Hyperion, coupled (or should that be tripled?) with Debussy and Fauré. Susan Tomes's playing, in particular, is magical in all three pieces.

Comment

Working...
                              X