Our Summer BAL 84: Martinu Double concerto (for 2 string orchestras, piano and timps)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our Summer BAL 84: Martinu Double concerto (for 2 string orchestras, piano and timps)

Bohuslav Martinů's Double Concerto for Two String Orchestras, Piano, and Timpani (H. 271) was written in Switzerland in 1938 during deteriorating diplomatic relationships throughout Europe. Commissioned by Paul Sacher for the Basel Chamber Orchestra, it reflects intense impressions, from both the composer's personal life and the political events of the time.
    The Concerto is structured upon the concerto grosso, the three movements scored as 1. Poco Allegro, 2. Largo, 3. Allegro; its outer movements are characterized by a mood of anxiety expressed through syncopated rhythms, while its Largo centres upon a defiant, declamatory statement; the concerto as a whole lasting circa 21 minutes in total.
    The cover of the manuscript score bears the dedication to my dear friend Paul Sacher to commemorate the quiet and fearful days spent at Schönenberg amongst the deer and the threat of the war. Martinů finished the last movement of the sketch on the same day of the signing of the Munich Treaty. It was first performed by the Basel Chamber Orchestra conducted by Paul Sacher in Basel in February 1940. Martinů travelled from Paris to attend the Basel performance, despite the difficult international situation. The Swiss composer Arthur Honegger was among the audience of its first performance.
    Other contemporary compositions with a similar instrumentation as Martinů's Double Concerto are Bela Bartók's Divertimento for String Orchestra, also commissioned by Paul Sacher for the Basel Chamber Orchestra in 1938, and Sir Michael Tippett's Concerto for Double String Orchestra (1938–39).

[From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia]

Czech Philharmonic Orchestra/Jiri Belohlavek (Chandos) [CD/D]
    Orchestre National de France/James Conlon (Erato) [nla?]
    Malmo Symphony Orchestra/James DePriest (BIS) [CD/D]
    City of London Sinfonia/Richard Hickox (Warner) [D]
    Philharmonia Orchestra/Rafael Kubelik (Testament) [CD]
    Brno State Philharmonic Orchestra/Charles Mackerras (Alto) [CD]
    Prague Radio Symphony Orchestra/Charles Mackerras (Supraphon) [CD/D]
    Essener Philharmoniker/Tomas Netopil (Supraphon) [CD/D]
    Czech Philharmonic Orchestra/Karel Sejna (Praga Digitals) [nla?]

Last edited by Pulcinella; 27-07-23, 11:42.

A first attempt at launching a new thread on the new site: title length limit restriction has caused a slight abbreviation!
    I have the Conlon and Mackerras (Prague) versions on the shelves (and streamed the Sejna yesterday).
    Any versions that other forum members recommend? Or indeed any to avoid?

Comment

I recently picked up Malmo/DePriest, which is very impressive both sonically & musically. Coupled with Les Fresques and the Rhapsody-Concerto for viola with Nobuko Imai.

Comment

I have the Bělohlávek​ (recorded live, 2004), the Conlon (recorded 1990) and the two Mackerras (recorded 1982 and 1990, respectively) on CD. Each is well worth consideration.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          I have the Bělohlávek​ (recorded live, 2004), the Conlon (recorded 1990) and the two Mackerras (recorded 1982 and 1990, respectively) on CD. Each is well worth consideration.
          Just streaming the Mackerras (Brno) performance: it certainly has an energy that I found lacking in the DePriest and (especially) the Hickox versions I listened to this morning.

Comment

I'm a Jakub Hrůša fan so, in the absence (as far as I know) of a commercial recording, this will have to do:

​Sound quality is not bad - fine performance, though, from Paris in January 2016 The Martinu starts at 12'46".
            Last edited by HighlandDougie; 28-07-23, 10:12.

Comment

This isn't a work I know much at all and the only CD I have is the elderly Philharmonia/Kubelik. Both Belohlavek and Mackerras should be self recommending so I've just ordered the Czech PO/Belohlavek on Chandos.
              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                This isn't a work I know much at all and the only CD I have is the elderly Philharmonia/Kubelik. Both Belohlavek and Mackerras should be self recommending so I've just ordered the Czech PO/Belohlavek on Chandos.
                Started to listen to the Belohlavek yesterday, but annoyingly (as seems to be increasingly the case) the stream on Deezer is crazy: the first movements of the pieces on the CD, then the second, and so on. I guess I have to create an ordered playlist by selecting the individual tracks. I'm very happy with the Prague Mackerras and the Conlon that I already owned. For what is supposedly Martinu's most popular work (I read that somewhere!) I'm surprised that there aren't more recordings.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

Started to listen to the Belohlavek yesterday, but annoyingly (as seems to be increasingly the case) the stream on Deezer is crazy: the first movements of the pieces on the CD, then the second, and so on. I guess I have to create an ordered playlist by selecting the individual tracks. I'm very happy with the Prague Mackerras and the Conlon that I already owned. For what is supposedly Martinu's most popular work (I read that somewhere!) I'm surprised that there aren't more recordings.
                  I've never come across it in 50+ years of concert-going either. It made me think that there might be logistical issues in platform arrangement but I can't see any and certainly less than eg the Bartok Music for Strings, Percussion and Celeste..
                  "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Working...
                  X