Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our Summer BAL 45: Bartok Quartets

I feel in need of a new set of these bewitching, dazzling works. I've had two sets for many years on LP - one by the Takacs, made in Budapest in 1984 and neglected after they re-recorded some years later for Decca; and the other by the Hungarians on DGG from 1962. And I have plenty of other sundries, many of them on Supraphon, which were my introduction to these works. And quite recently the wonderful performance and recording of No 2 by Brooklyn Rider.

I notice that it was the set by the Tokyos that was recommended a decade or more ago on BAL. What a pity it is that the Lindsays isn't available, except at silly prices. I loved their interpretations of this repertoire, last heard in Leamington a short time before they retired.

But what do boarders prefer?
    Last edited by verismissimo; 08-08-15, 11:02.

Oh! One of these BaLs with whole sets of works. Couldn't we just have one quartet?

Comment

The Tokyos are excellent in this Music. The Lindsays are wonderful, too, and their set should never have been deleted. Avoid the Emersons on DG - glaring, one-dimensional performances.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        The Tokyos are excellent in this Music. The Lindsays are wonderful, too, and their set should never have been deleted. Avoid the Emersons on DG - glaring, one-dimensional performances.
        Couldn't have written this better myself

Comment

Three sets here.
          Emerson (Gramophone Record of the Year 1989!)
          supplanted by
          Fine Arts (remember those dark red, blue, and green covers of the Saga LPs?), the recording I got to know them from, and
          Juilliard (1963 recording, rather annoyingly with number 4 split over the two CDs).
          While taking Alpie's comment on board, these so often appear coupled together that surely it makes sense to look for a satisfying complete set?
          Last edited by Pulcinella; 08-08-15, 10:05. Reason: Space missing (now added!)

Comment

I havent heard the Emerson Quartet, but The Penguin Guide 2010 says "... in terms of virtuosity, finesse and accuracy [they] outstrip most of their rivals." They also note that the set won the Gramophone 'Record of the Year' award in 1989. They do comment that "If at times their projection and expressive vehemence are a bit too much of a good thing, these are concentrated and brilliant performances that are very well recorded." I guess one man's "projection and expressive vehemence" are another's "glaring, one-dimensional performances."

I have two sets on LP: The Juilliard Quartet, which is the set I have played the most, and the Tatrai Quartet, which I have played but really cant remember. I also have a couple of quartets played by the Vegh Quartet and the Prague City Quartet. I would go for the Juilliard, if they are/have been on CD. On LP I fear they would now cost rather a lot of money.

Comment

I'd favour Takacs Qt. Decent readings, plenty of fizz.

Comment

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                I'd favour Takacs Qt. Decent readings, plenty of fizz.
                Which set, Draco?

Comment

Pulcinella, mine are Columbia LPs SAX 5260 - 2, records and sleeve notes dated 1965. I didnt know there was an earlier recording, but I see from the notes they were founded in 1946. So I guess mine are the 1963 recordings. I have a 2006 price guide which suggests you would pay sixty quid each, but I suspect now it would be more, Columbias are very collectible.

Comment

I don't know other sets but have always been happy with the Kellers, now well-priced on Apex
                    Last edited by gurnemanz; 08-08-15, 10:57.

Comment

I have 2 complete sets:

Keller Quartet on Apex.

Vermeer Quartet on Naxos.

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                        I have 2 complete sets:

Keller Quartet on Apex.

Vermeer Quartet on Naxos.
                        Are they any good? Do you have a preference?
                        thanks
                        Mike

Comment

Originally posted by umslopogaas View Post
                          Pulcinella, mine are Columbia LPs SAX 5260 - 2, records and sleeve notes dated 1965. I didnt know there was an earlier recording, but I see from the notes they were founded in 1946. So I guess mine are the 1963 recordings. I have a 2006 price guide which suggests you would pay sixty quid each, but I suspect now it would be more, Columbias are very collectible.
                          I think the LP version I had (probably bought when I lived in Canada, and surely of the 1963 recording, as I moved back to the UK in 1981) was a Sony box set, so it's interesting (well, it might be to those that are interested in such things!) that your version is on Columbia. I wonder if they were released on different labels in different countries?

The booklet in the CD release has a time chart of the quartet members, showing who they were for their three recordings.

PS! Memory lapse corrected in message 19; CBS not Sony back then.
                          Last edited by Pulcinella; 08-08-15, 12:18. Reason: PS added.

Comment

According to John Hunt's discography of Columbia, the name was launched in the USA in 1894 as Columbia Phonograph Company, and began marketing in the UK in 1907. In the USA it modified the name to Columbia Broadcasting Systems, then to CBS and "now" (the discography is not dated, but I think around 2000) as Sony. I've never seen any Sony LPs, but I suspect they werent marketed in the UK, where Columbia was absorbed into EMI. I know, for example that music issued in the USA on the Mercury label was issued in the UK under the Mercury name, but produced by HMV/EMI. RCA recordings were issued in the USA coded LSC, but in the UK they were pressed by Decca and issued with the SB code.

This is very confusing, if anyone knows more than me about this, which wouldnt be difficult, please tell us!

Comment

Working...
                            X