Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
    We 'did' Tchaikovsky Violin fairly thoroughly a year ago. The nearest thing to a a BaL recommendation was found by an eagle-eyed Dave2002 as a coupling to the Sibelius.
    Yes - that is a smashing CD - I've had it for some years, but never realised the Sibelius was once a BaL choice. I prefer 'choice' as opposed to 'winner' which sounds rather like a school sports-day announcement.....

Comment

Heifetz/Reiner for me please! And a rather interesting one with Eugene Fodor and Leinsdorf, one of those made before Fodor slipped off the rails into obscurity.
      I think Jascha and Fritz clinch it on account of H's immaculate playing and Fritz giving as good as he gets. It's a combat style version but I like it, and a classic Living Stereo record.

Comment

Has anyone heard the new recording from Nemanja Radulović with the Borusan Istanbul Philharmonic Orchestra under Sascha Goetzel? My copy arrived last week and I was keeping it for a 'special occasion' but, in the event, I ended up listening to it in the car.

Very impressive playing indeed with just enough 'interpretation' to make it interesting but not mannered. I've heard dozens of recordings of this work and I don't think I've ever heard it played so well in tune! Even the greatest players have been known to be slightly inaccurate in some of the high writing at the end of the first movement before the coda. This guy is bang on with intonation.

Fine playing from the orchestra too. (And their intonation must be pretty good too otherwise the soloist's tuning wouldn't be as accurate!) My only criticism is that it's recorded at a slightly low level so I'm having to turn the juice up on the Hi-Fi in the sitting room.

The coupling is a rather odd arrangement of the Rococo Variations for Viola, strings and piano. I like the 'cello part transcribed for Viola but the wind parts are played by the piano which takes a bit of getting used to. Fabulous playing from everyone concerned, though.

An interesting cd that, imho, is well worth seeking out.

Next up is the Tchaikovsky violin concerto played by Gidon Kremer mit Die Berliner Philharmoniker unter Lorin Maazel. This is the recording the BBC Music Magazine reckons is 'one to avoid!' I remember it as being pretty good when I bought the Lp back in the dark ages.

Comment

Its on Naxos Mus Library - #29 - details here http://http://www.for3.org/forums/sh...-library/page3

Comment

Working...
          X