Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
    Yes. It's a university for people who didn't go when they were 18.
    indeed Beefy. I enjoyed it immensely.
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

In the past couple of days I've listened to Martinon and the first Boulez (with the New Philharmonia). The highly French sound of Martinon's ORTF orchestra is highly attractive, but in the end Boulez is committed to this piece in a way I don't think many if any conductors are, and it shows. I still prefer his later Cleveland recording for its greater depth and detail in sound though. That leaves Tilson Thomas among the recordings I have. (edit: I mean Tilson Thomas and the LSO, not his later one.)
      Last edited by Richard Barrett; 26-07-18, 13:19.

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
        indeed Beefy. I enjoyed it immensely.

Comment

Although the orchestral playing doesn't reach the stellar heights of the Concertgebouw or the LSO, I would hate to be without the Hans Zender and Ernest Bour recordings - not quite so sure about Michael Gielen but it's still well worth a listen. The NPO/Boulez recording was my first exposure to Jeux in 1968 (?) so it has my special place in my affections, although, as Richard B says, his Cleveland recording is superior in terms of recording and playing.

Comment

I have now had the opportunity to absorb the new Harmonia Mundi disc with Les Siècles conducted by Roth. This recording has attracted conflicting opinions concerning the couplings on another thread, but I bought it primarily for Jeux, having been impressed by Roth's conducting of the piece with the LSO last year. It does not disappoint, being somewhere between the hyper-detailing of Boulez and Dutoit's choreographic approaches - so pretty much ideal. The sound quality is very vivid, and the use of period instruments reveals fresh and illuminating details in this fascinating and kaleidoscopic score. The issue is handsomely packaged, I had not realised that it comes with a bonus DVD of a concert performance in Granada, which I have yet to watch. A splendid addition to the discography.

Comment

Working...
            X