Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our Summer BAL 63: Richard Strauss Burleske for Piano and Orchestra in D minor

Not, perhaps, Strauss's magnum opus but, like Saint-Saëns's Fifth Piano Concerto, a work I really enjoy hearing. Unhelpfully, as it's not on record, my favourite performance is by Francesco Piemontesi from the 2014 Proms. That aside, do any other forumistas have a soft spot for this early work. Any particular favourites? Must-hears?
    Last edited by HighlandDougie; 02-08-18, 14:37.

Byron Janis, Chicago, Reiner, for me.

Comment

Seems strange to select such a slight work to have a BAL on.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        Surely worth discussing though.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
          Surely worth discussing though.
          Is that why the thread disappeared (and number 62 became the Mozart Clarinet Quintet) but has now been resurrected?

Not a piece I know, though I discover I have it (unsurprisingly) in a 9CD EMI set of Strauss Orchestral Works conducted by Rudolf Kempe (Malcolm Frager as pianist) so must give it a spin.
          In general, for me, the operas beat the orchestral works hands down (sorry, Alpie; ).

PS: Just spotted HD's comment in post #1.
          Last edited by Pulcinella; 02-08-18, 12:04. Reason: PS added.

Comment

I have to agree!

Comment

Well, before we dismiss this as being "too slight a work", there was an "official" BaL of Ravel's Alborada del gracioso. A nine minute work!

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                Well, before we dismiss this as being "too slight a work", there was an "official" BaL of Ravel's Alborada del gracioso. A nine minute work!
                Perhaps I'm thinking more of quality than length!

Comment

I've only the recording as part of Kempe's complete cycle of RS's orchestral output. Always a delight to hear, like with his oboe concerto, as well. RS in summery mood?
                  Don’t cry for me
                  I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

A story Previn told more than once and is also contained in Donald Rosenberg's history of the
                    Cleveland Orchestra:

At some point, Szell wanted to program Richard Strauss's Burleske.
                    He decided that perhaps Previn would be a good choice to play the
                    piano part, and asked him to meet him. As Previn told the story, he
                    went to see Szell in a hotel. So he must have been on tour.
                    Previn said that after initial conversation, Szell asked Previn to
                    play the piano part. Previn looked around. There was no piano to be
                    seen. He said so and asked how he could play it. Szell replied that
                    Previn should play it on the top of the table at which they were
                    sitting. Szell would watch Previn's "playing" and evaluate it. So
                    Previn, thinking it was perhaps a bit weird, did. At some point,
                    Szell stopped him. He said Previn was not "playing" the part
                    correctly. To which Previn replied
                    "I'm sorry. I've never played this table before."
                    Szell said "young man, that will be all!" and threw him out.
                    Like BBMMk2 I only have the Kempre/Frager/Dresden version.

Comment

That was my view for a long time and then I heard it by chance, wondered what it was - and, slight or not, it burrowed its way into my ear/brain. It was/is in the repertoire of some classy pianists (Serkin, Richter, Argerich, Janis, Gulda, Triifonov, Piemontesi et al) so it it is not, IMV, to be entirely despised.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                        A story Previn told more than once and is also contained in Donald Rosenberg's history of the
                        Cleveland Orchestra …
                        Nice story, RT.

I have Philadelphia/Ormandy with Rudolf Serkin from 1970, not listened to for yonks. Maybe I will connect with the work this time around …

Comment

Strauss himself conducting Burleske at his last concert in London in 1947 with the Philharmonia Orchestra, Alfred Blumen the pianist.

Richard STRAUSS: "Burleske" in D minor for piano and orchestra, TrV 145 (1885/86)Alfred Blumen, pianoPhilharmonia OrchestraRichard Strauss, conductor(AUDIO |...

Comment

Working...
                          X