Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our Summer BAL 64: Elgar's Sea Pictures

Still dominated by Janet Baker / LSO / Barbirolli?

I've been listening again recently with great pleasure to Yvonne Minton with the LPO under Barenboim.

So often I find others too wobbly.

Is this another work which in the best hands can be made to sound better than it is?

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post

I've been listening again recently with great pleasure to Yvonne Minton with the LPO under Barenboim.

Is this another work which in the best hands can be made to sound better than it is?

I recently acquired this recording, and am equally listening with much pleasure. The Baker/Barbirolli recording, I haven't heard.

Comment

I have the Vernon Handley EMI Eminence release, bought in the early '90s.

Tod unscrupulously and very deceptively makes this opus sound far better than it actually is.

I have a vague recollection that a Rubber Brolly performance lurks somewhere in my house.

Comment

I absolutely agree. To find a Sea Pictures which doesn’t overdo the vibrato is rare, I’ve long had Minton’s at the top of my list. Another I like is Kerstin Meyer with Barbirolli and the Halle which is a live recording from King’s Lynn - JB’s last concert? Of recent versions Alice Coote and Sarah Connolly worth a listen.

Comment

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
          I recently acquired this recording, and am equally listening with much pleasure. The Baker/Barbirolli recording, I haven't heard.
          Splutters - so you haven't heard its coupling either ?

Baker head and shoulders above all other contenders .

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post

In your very humble unbiased opinion. In my opinion it is good but at times oversung. Have you heard the Minton?

Comment

Not only heard, but have in my collection; part of a 2-CD Du Pre - sort of anthology.... (EMI)

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                I absolutely agree. To find a Sea Pictures which doesn’t overdo the vibrato is rare, I’ve long had Minton’s at the top of my list. Another I like is Kerstin Meyer with Barbirolli and the Halle which is a live recording from King’s Lynn - JB’s last concert? Of recent versions Alice Coote and Sarah Connolly worth a listen.
                Was the Meyer on BBC Legends I don't know that one ?

Comment

In your very humble unbiased opinion. In my opinion it is good but at times oversung. Have you heard the Minton?
                  All opinions on here are humble and unbiased surely that goes without saying

Coupled with Barenboim's 1970s Falstaff on Sony ? Yes - good but not a patch on Baker I don't think she oversings at all - indeed that is a recording that does make the music sound better than it is.

Another excellent version is Gladys Ripley with George Weldon.

Comment

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                    The Baker/Barbirolli recording, I haven't heard.

Mind you, I've never watched Coronation Street.

The Baker/Barbirolli is superb, but I do also have Della Jones, which isn't bad; and Leila Megane under the composer's baton.

Comment

Yes - good but not a patch on Baker I don't think she oversings at all - indeed that is a recording that does make the music sound better than it is.
                      Or does it just get you caught up in the performance so well that you forget the awfulness of (some of) the lyrics?

Baker/LSO/Barbirolli
                      Greevy/LPO/Handley
                      Palmer/LSO/Hickox
                      and
                      Johnston/BBCNOW/Angelico (BBC MM)
                      here, but the Baker is indeed incomparable (in my humble and unbiased opinion too!).

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                        Or does it just get you caught up in the performance so well that you forget the awfulness of (some of) the lyrics?

Baker/LSO/Barbirolli
                        Greevy/LPO/Handley
                        Palmer/LSO/Hickox
                        and
                        Johnston/BBCNOW/Angelico (BBC MM)
                        here, but the Baker is indeed incomparable (in my humble and unbiased opinion too!).
                        Certainly a recording that makes the verses sound less terrible than they are.

Comment

Was the Meyer on BBC Legends I don't know that one ?
                          I have it coupled with Sym 1 on the Itaglio label (Italian methinks)- there is a copy of this on Amazon for £4.99, which label also has Elgar 2 (BostonSO Barbirolli), £35.99 on Amazon and a Mozart Sym 34/39 (BostonSO/Boult). The King’s Lynn Elgar 1 is on BBC Legends but coupled with Int & All from the same concert. On a tangent, but with a marginal link to the Halle which he conducted way back and was in consideration as their chief to succeed JB, an Intaglio CD (Amazon £20) is available of him with the Leningrad conducting Shostakovich 5 and Tchaik Sleeping Beauty Suite. And finally this label also hosts JB’s Mahler 4 BBCSO/Heather Harper recorded in Prague!
                          Last edited by cloughie; 21-08-18, 09:04.

Comment

Do you mean the DuPre CC, or DoG?

Comment

Do you mean the DuPre CC, or DoG?
                              I think maybe he means Du Pre with Barbirolli, cloughie.

Comment

Working...
                              X