X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you, Bryn.

Comment

I don’t know these pieces only Op 10 .

I have found a copy of that big HVK 2nd Viennese School box set for £5.93 on Amazon so look forward to acquainting myself with these pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
        I don’t know these pieces only Op 10 .

I have found a copy of that big HVK 2nd Viennese School box set for £5.93 on Amazon so look forward to acquainting myself with these pieces.
        Just a few bits of 'trivia':

Webern, it is said, never heard the revised version performed, he nevertheless regarded it as definitive, Boulez favoured the original 1909 version.

In the booklet notes for the DG 'complete webern', both the 1909 original and the 1928 revision are mentioned, but the 1920 chamber version gets left out all-together, neither recorded nor mentioned.

The Craft/Philharmonia recording on Naxos is given as for "Large Orchestra" but also noted as being the 1928 revision, for which Webern dropped the "Large", I think.

Re. Op. 10, Webern composed several other pieces around the time he wrote those incorporated into Op. 10. These were included in the Atherton et al survey broadcast on Radio 3, back in the 1980s and can also be found on disc 2 of the DG 'complete webern' survey.
        Last edited by Bryn; 16-07-19, 12:04. Reason: Typo

Comment

Isn't that six BALs? For those with more than one CD, who is best piece by piece?

I often struggle with modern music, but I very much like Sinopoli's take on this:

Bargain apex CD, so I might invest... or might even go for a super-bargain 8 cd box set of the 2nd Viennese School if I'm feeling very adventurous... though probably not, there are several pieces on my "I'm walking out if that comes on" list

Karajan also on youtube... Sinopoli more atmospheric, Karajan over-dramatic in slightly harsh sound (although 3rd ear says Karajan in Pasacaglia Op.1 is "in a class by himself" so Webern: Passacaglia / Schoenberg: Variations op. 31 / Berg: 3 Pieces from the "Lyric Suite" (DG The Originals) might be worth sampling...)
          Last edited by Mal; 16-07-19, 12:29.

Comment

The Rattle 5-CD Second Viennese School box set arrived this morning, so I now have a spare copy of his recording, in the HMV Classics incarnation, coupled with Schoenberg's Five Orchestral Pieces and Berg's Lulu Suite.

PM me if you'd like it.

Comment

Currently listening to Craft with the London Philharmonia. I think I prefer this recording to the Rattle/CBSO, which I listened to earlier - whether because of the interpretation and playing/conducting or because of the recording/production, I can't say, though I think I can hear more parts on this one, it is recorded more closely. I have a couple of Boulez ones to listen to: one from the Columbia boxed set and one from the complete Webern on DG.

Comment

Great joy at reading this, Bryn - many thanks.
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

In Webern it has to be Boulez! As simple as that!
                  Last edited by Stanfordian; 17-07-19, 11:30.

Comment

A rare excursion into Webern from Lennie (though the orchestra here was well-attuned to the Musical idiom from its then-recent association with Mitropoulos).

... a bit slow, but I love the laissez vibrer at the end of #4. (The audience doesn't seem to have been told about handkerchiefs, alas.)
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Re. the Gielen. Beware! The first 8 tracks of CD 11 in Vol. 8 of the Michael Gielen edition (which include the first 3 movements of Op. 6) are missing from QOBUZ. I have contacted them regarding this error and await their response. The missing tracks can, however, be found on the QOBUZ offering of the Gielen Mahler 3rd, on which they comprise part of the 'fill-up', (interspersed with the Schubert as mentioned in the revised message #3 of this thread).

Comment

Working...
                      X