Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having been impressed by the NYO's performance of this work in the 2023 Proms, and deciding to buy a score, I discovered that there were two available editions.
    I hadn't realised that there had been 'revisions', despite having posted a link to the Wiki article, but details are given there:

In 1947 Leonard Bernstein, while performing the work in Israel, removed some 12 bars from the fourth movement without Copland's consent. Later on, the composer agreed to these cuts, which were incorporated in the 1966 edition published by Boosey & Hawkes. However, in June 2015, Boosey & Hawkes published a new performing edition in which the cuts have been restored to conform with the original 1946 manuscript.​

Does anyone know where in the final movement the 12 bars are, and why they offended Bernstein so much?

For those interested, the Wiki article also gives a list of recordings and identifies those which are of the original 1946 score.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphony_No._3_(Copland)

PS: I see that a San Francisco performance under MTT has now appeared.
    Last edited by Pulcinella; 26-08-23, 07:45. Reason: PS added

Comment

Copied from 'The cost of printed music' thread. My copy of the score arrived in this morning's post.

Just arrived!
      Not only is it new, it is a new edition.
      The copyright page says:
      First printing 1947
      Second printing 1966
      Third printing with new engraving by Philip Rothman, December 2014
      Corrected July 2017

The notes (by Rothman) explain (amongst other things) the cuts that Bernstein made (now restored); there is a section labelled 'alternative ending' (should an orchestra wish to perform the version with cuts).

Thanks again to Andrew for finding this for me.​

Comment

Working...
      X