Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our Summer BAL: Early Start?

The sun has been shining. BAL is in disarray.

Time for an early start?

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post

Time for an early start?

We could do our own on the two that have been abandoned for which Alpie has already done the hard work of compiling the lists of available recordings.

Comment

Time for an early start?
      Perhaps we could hide our time, as it’s only March. However, in view of the chaos at the BBC (not all because of COVID-19) Recordings in Discussion might be a better place to compare different recordings.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
        Perhaps we could hide our time, as it’s only March. However, in view of the chaos at the BBC (not all because of COVID-19) Recordings in Discussion might be a better place to compare different recordings.

That's a very good idea!

Comment

I've reinstated the ex-BaL threads on the last 4 (FOUR) BBC Radio 3 mix-ups. These can be found on the Recordings in Discussion sub-forum. Some forumists asked me to do this a while ago, but I held off in the hope that the Radio 3 management would sort things out and reinstate the BaLs later. But this hasn't happened with any of them. It's clear that there are some real problems at the BBC.

Comment

Successfully nipped that one in the bud then, Alpie.

Comment

Successfully nipped that one in the bud then, Alpie.
              Well - I wasn’t dismissing your suggestion, but if the BBC does get its act together and broadcast new BaLs, it could get a little complicated if we had Summer BaL and the real thing side by side. But we can discuss the works they intended to review, and rebrand the threads if and when the whole thing is sorted out.

Comment

Time for a real start?

Looks like we'd be beginning our 2020 Summer season with number 71.
                Any ideas?
                I had one about considering pieces that had been premiered at The Proms, but then found out that my first thought (Walton's Viola concerto) had been done not that long ago (and a recommended version was the one that had popped through the post last week, coupled with the Rubbra Viola concerto, which is what I'd really bought the CD for).

I'm willing (fool and/or sad person that I am) to have a stab at compiling a list of available versions (within limits!!) if members who would otherwise like to start a thread find that too daunting, so don't let that put you off (send a PM or mention it in the first post).

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                  Time for a real start?

Looks like we'd be beginning our 2020 Summer season with number 71.
                  Any ideas?
                  I had one about considering pieces that had been premiered at The Proms, but then found out that my first thought (Walton's Viola concerto) had been done not that long ago (and a recommended version was the one that had popped through the post last week, coupled with the Rubbra Viola concerto, which is what I'd really bought the CD for).

I'm willing (fool and/or sad person that I am) to have a stab at compiling a list of available versions (within limits!!) if members who would otherwise like to start a thread find that too daunting, so don't let that put you off (send a PM or mention it in the first post).
                  Ooh that does sound appetising, pulci Sounds like a lot of work, though. Are you sure you've got time? Having just googled the Walton/Rubbra concerto it must be the Hyperion Lawrence Power version, is it? Does the CD include the Meditations on a Byzantine Hymn “O Quando in Cruce” Op.117 for Solo Viola? This was a recommendation received in a mailing from local music society supremo Graham recently. Very nice, too. Graham writes:

"Written for Maurice Loban and first performed in December 1962 on the BBC Home Service. It is not strictly a set of variations but the meditations do have a central theme (Leo Black 2007). Rubbra went on to recompose it for 2 Violas under Op.117a."
                  And the tune ends too soon for us all

Comment

Originally posted by Constantbee View Post
                    Ooh that does sound appetising, pulci Sounds like a lot of work, though. Are you sure you've got time? Having just googled the Walton/Rubbra concerto it must be the Hyperion Lawrence Power version, is it? Does the CD include the Meditations on a Byzantine Hymn “O Quando in Cruce” Op.117 for Solo Viola? This was a recommendation received in a mailing from local music society supremo Graham recently. Very nice, too. Graham writes:

"Written for Maurice Loban and first performed in December 1962 on the BBC Home Service. It is not strictly a set of variations but the meditations do have a central theme (Leo Black 2007). Rubbra went on to recompose it for 2 Violas under Op.117a."
                    Well, I might rescind my offer if the workload becomes too heavy.

Yes, that's the CD, and it does indeed include the Opus 117 Meditations (first recording, the CD claims).
                    The two-viola version, Opus 117a, features on the Dante Quartet CD of Rubbra's String quartets numbers 2 and 4 (CDLX 7114).

Comment

I'm willing (fool and/or sad person that I am) to have a stab at compiling a list of available versions (within limits!!)
                      Have a care. There’s a regular weekly job waiting in the wings.

Comment

Have a care. There’s a regular weekly job waiting in the wings.
                        Isn't that presupposing that BAL resumes and is no longer repeats?

I won't claim to be anything like as comprehensive; Bryn has usually caught me out within minutes when I've compiled some lists in the past!

Comment

Isn't that presupposing that BAL resumes and is no longer repeats?

I won't claim to be anything like as comprehensive; Bryn has usually caught me out within minutes when I've compiled some lists in the past!
                          My vote says go for it pulcers .......

Comment

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                            My vote says go for it pulcers .......
                            Do you have a work in mind?

Comment

Do you have a work in mind?
                              Your, much appreciated, efforts, should, I feel, entitle you to first choice ......

Comment

Working...
                              X