Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wolfram View Post
    I think the previous BaL winner was Price/HvK. And I think, but may very well be mistaked, that it was the choice of Rodney Milnes.

I would have said that there were only two essential Toscas; Callas/de Sabata and Price/HvK, but after listening to Tebaldi and Molinari-Pradelli on Spotify I would have to add that as a third. It's every bit as electric as de Sabata, and yes del Monaco does sing as though he were at La Scala projecting to the back row of the gods - at La Fenice. Tebaldi is wonderful, but George London's Scarpia was the surprise, nothing subtle about it; his is a dark colossus, a monster of a man, completely different from Gobbi and Taddei - I liked it as an alternative take on the part.

Sadly, as others report, the complete opera on disc seems not to be available from any of the usual second hand sites. It will will have to be a charity shop search.
    Make it a challenge for pastoralguy.

PS: Isn't this it?

Last edited by Pulcinella; 14-07-22, 15:25. Reason: PS added.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
      Make it a challenge for pastoralguy.

PS: Isn't this it?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dellAccadem.../dp/B003TUL43K
      You got me all excited there. However, when you click on the cd option up pops and image of the French DG budget issue of the DG Karajan.

Oh well, back to the charity shops.

Comment

You got me all excited there. However, when you click on the cd option up pops and image of the French DG budget issue of the DG Karajan.

Oh!
        I didn't investigate.
        Sorry to have raised expectations.

Comment

Yes I saw that one - I did find one secondhand copy for about £30 which was not tempting - the highlights however I found at £1.04 which includes most of the good stuff and you can get an idea of the excellence of the performance.

The Price/Karajan is included on Amazon Prime . I was very impressed by what I heard yesterday afternoon.

Comment

Amazon France has a used copy with Zoverstocks.fr for about 14€ - and they will, I think, deliver to the UK for the same price as to an address in France:

Comment

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
              Amazon France has a used copy with Zoverstocks.fr for about 14€ - and they will, I think, deliver to the UK for the same price as to an address in France:

https://www.amazon.fr/Puccini-Tosca-...al%2C78&sr=1-1
              I really appreciated the help seeking this out, but sadly it appears the Amazon France recording is the earlier one conducted by Erede, and not the later one with del Monaco conducted by Molinari-Pradelli that was recommended.

I would consider paying the 30 quid for the copy on Amazon UK, but can't locate it.

Comment

I really appreciated the help seeking this out, but sadly it appears the Amazon France recording is the earlier one conducted by Erede, and not the later one with del Monaco conducted by Molinari-Pradelli that was recommended.

I would consider paying the 30 quid for the copy on Amazon UK, but can't locate it.
                Oops! Apologies - I didn't look very carefully. Plentifully available on vinyl, the 2 x CDs of the complete opera conducted by Molinari-Pradelli seem to have disappeared off the face of the earth

Comment

For £17.99 + £4 shipping you can get a box set of Tebaldi’s Decca Puccini recordings, including the complete Tosca with Molina-Pradelli, from Oxfam. That’s a bit better value and you get 5 other operas as a bonus

https://onlineshop.oxfam.org.uk/clas...t/HD_300874937
                  "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                  Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

Originally posted by LHC View Post
                    For £17.99 + £4 shipping you can get a box set of Tebaldi’s Decca Puccini recordings, including the complete Tosca with Molina-Pradelli, from Oxfam. That’s a bit better value and you get 5 other operas as a bonus

https://onlineshop.oxfam.org.uk/clas...t/HD_300874937
                    Would you believe it - it’s flagged as ‘out of stock’. I’ll keep trying.

Comment

Would you believe it - it’s flagged as ‘out of stock’. I’ll keep trying.
                      That’s a shame. It was listed as in in stock last night, but I suspect there was only one copy and someone has beaten you to it.
                      "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                      Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

Originally posted by LHC View Post
                        That’s a shame. It was listed as in in stock last night, but I suspect there was only one copy and someone has beaten you to it.
                        This just might be it, new, but you'll have to check which Tosca got included in the set:

PS: From the poor shot of the box here, it looks like it's the one you want, Wolfram!

Last edited by Pulcinella; 16-07-22, 14:47. Reason: PS added

Comment

It is. Thank you very much indded.

Comment

I guess none of you wants to be told that there’s no difficulty finding it on Qobuz? No, thought not.

Comment

Originally posted by Goon525 View Post
                              I guess none of you wants to be told that there’s no difficulty finding it on Qobuz? No, thought not.
                              In post #19, Wolfram specifically mentions 'on disc'; hence the searches to help find a copy.
                              I've lined it up on Deezer/Sonos to stream at some point.

Comment

In post #19, Wolfram specifically mentions 'on disc'; hence the searches to help find a copy.
                                I've lined it up on Deezer/Sonos to stream at some point.
                                I’m sorry but I still like the physical product and all that goes with it. I’ve already listened to it on Spotify. In fact I’ve started to use Spotify more and more in this way to check out recordings. I’ll stream it, and if I like it, then I’ll buy the cd.

Comment

Working...
                                X