Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our Summer BAL 79: Hindemith Symphony "Mathis der Maler"

Symphony: Mathis der Maler (Matthias the Painter) is among the most famous orchestral works of German composer Paul Hindemith. Music from the symphony was incorporated into, or reworked for, Hindemith's opera Mathis der Maler, which concerns the painter Matthias Grünewald (or Neithardt).

Currently available recordings [information gleaned from the Presto website]

BPO/Abbado [D]
    Sydney SO/Albert [D]
    ORF Vienna RSO/Alsop [CD/D]
    U of Illinois Symphony Band/Begian [D]
    Israel PO/Bernstein [PCD]
    SFSO/Blomstedt [PCD/D]
    BBCSSO/Brabbins [CD/D]
    NBC SO/Cantelli [CD/D]
    Swedish RSO/Celibadache [D]
    NZSO/Decker [CD/D]
    NDR SO/Eschenbach [CD/D]
    Saarbrücken RSO/Gielen [CD/D]
    BPO/Hindemith [CD/D]
    LSO/Horenstein [CD/D]
    Radio France SO/Horenstein [CD/D]
    ORF SO/Horvat [D]
    BPO/Karajan [D]
    VPO/Karajan [CD]
    Dresden PO/Kegel [D]
    OSR/Kletzki [PCD/D]
    Atlanta SO/Levi [CD]
    Danish RSO/ Monteux [D]
    Sao Paolo SO/Neschling [SACD/D]
    Bavarian RSO/Ormandy [D]
    Philadelphia O/Ormandy [D]
    NBCSO/Reiner [CD/D]
    LAPO/Salonen [D]
    Philadelphia O/Sawallisch [D]
    BSO/Steinberg [PCD/D]
    Pittsburgh SO/Steinberg [D]

Key:
    CD: CD (single or in set)
    D: download
    PCD: Presto CD

Prompted to choose this work by seeing that BBM had recently been listening to a fair bit of Hindemith.

I first got to know it in 1968, from this Helidor LP, which a fellow A-level Music student brought in, initially for the Bartok Divertimento coupling:

A friend and I then played the introduction to the first movement at the start of a school assembly, and we were asked by several members of staff what the music was: it was new to them too.

I now have the SFSO/Blomstedt, Philadelphia/Ormandy, and BSO/Steinberg in my collection.

Which other versions do forum members have and recommend?

Comment

I was given - as a 14th birthday present (pretentious brat that I was) - the stereo Karajan/BPO Bartók Music for Strings etc which had, as its B side, the Hindemith. I was greatly taken with the music at the time - and probably played it more often than the Bartók. However, I've no idea quite how the HvK stands up to more modern competition. I seem to have the Composer, Kletzki, Steinberg in Boston, Abbado and Blomstedt - the last of these being a recent rediscovery. Great Decca recording.

Comment

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
        I was given - as a 14th birthday present (pretentious brat that I was) - the stereo Karajan/BPO Bartók Music for Strings etc which had, as its B side, the Hindemith. I was greatly taken with the music at the time - and probably played it more often than the Bartók. However, I've no idea quite how the HvK stands up to more modern competition. I seem to have the Composer, Kletzki, Steinberg in Boston, Abbado and Blomstedt - the last of these being a recent rediscovery. Great Decca recording.
        I also grew up with th Karajan, which I still have on vinyl. I too will be interested in modern recommendations.

Staying with Hindedmith I love his Symphonic Vars.... I've transferred from tape a blistering performance, live broadcast from RFH, by Kempe & RPO. A treasured recording, never issued on CD as far as I'm aware.

Comment

I have the Blomstedt, which I think was coupled with the Symphonic Met….etc. The Composer was highly regarded by Critics when Started listening to music in the mid seventies but then fell out of favor seemingly, and I don’t think that there have been many recordings since that era.

Comment

I have the Boston/ Steinberg on LP and the SFSO/ Blomstedt. Never compared them, and am inclined to think that it's a work where decent performances tend to sound much the same, not much scope for a stand-out winner. Probably showing my ignorance, of which I have plenty!
            I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
              I have the Boston/ Steinberg on LP and the SFSO/ Blomstedt. Never compared them, and am inclined to think that it's a work where decent performances tend to sound much the same, not much scope for a stand-out winner. Probably showing my ignorance, of which I have plenty!
              I thought that that might be the case (interpretations, not your ignorance!) but I've listened to several versions this afternoon, and have been distinctly more impressed with some than others.

BPO/Karajan (dreadful!)
              BSO/Steinberg (pretty grim too; memory might have been playing tricks as I thought that this version was well regarded!)
              BPO/Abbado (dull)
              ORF Vienna RSO/Alsop (pedestrian start, but improved)
              NZSO/Decker (nothing special)
              Philadelphia/Sawallisch (this made me sit up and listen!)
              OSR/Kletzki (so did this)

I now need to (re)listen to the Blomstedt and Ormandy (in my collection): maybe the Philadelphians, with Ormandy or Sawallisch, are the frontrunners for me.
              Last edited by Pulcinella; 17-07-22, 16:45.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                I thought that that might be the case (interpretations, not your ignorance!) but I've listened to several versions this afternoon, and have been distinctly more impressed with some than others.

BPO/Karajan (dreadful!)
                BSO/Steinberg (pretty grim too; memory might have been playing tricks as I thought that this version was well regarded!)
                BPO/Abbado (dull)
                ORF Vienna RSO/Alsop (pedestrian start, but improved)
                NZSO/Decker (nothing special)
                Philadelphia/Sawallisch (this made me sit up and listen!)
                OSR/Kletzki (so did this)

I now need to (re)listen to the Blomstedt and Ormandy (in my collection): maybe the Philadelphians, with Ormandy or Sawallisch, are the frontrunners for me.
                Pulcinella’s judgement on the Karajan made me chortle, not because it isn’t fair but because it reflected that I almost certainly haven’t missed much since I last listened to it - maybe 45 years ago. Very much agree about the Abbado. It put me off listening to the work until I re-discovered the Blomstedt a few moths ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Lordgeous View Post
                  I also grew up with th Karajan, which I still have on vinyl. I too will be interested in modern recommendations.

Staying with Hindedmith I love his Symphonic Vars.... I've transferred from tape a blistering performance, live broadcast from RFH, by Kempe & RPO. A treasured recording, never issued on CD as far as I'm aware.
                  One to Bootleg Lordy.
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

I have the Philadelphia / Ormandy ( not sure where I acquired this, could be somebody’s duplicate) and the Dresden PO / Kegel, in the Brilliant Classics box.
                    Might try one of the ones that Pulcers trashed as a comparison, before commenting further !!
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Is the Furtwangler nla ?

Comment

Was Pulcers in a bad mood when he posted? I listened to Abbado last night and enjoyed it and I really like the Karajan.

I’ve got (to my surprise) seven recordings of this but I can’t remember what I thought of them all. I’ll have to do some re-listening.
                        Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

Originally posted by Parry1912 View Post
                          Was Pulcers in a bad mood when he posted? I listened to Abbado last night and enjoyed it and I really like the Karajan.

I’ve got (to my surprise) seven recordings of this but I can’t remember what I thought of them all. I’ll have to do some re-listening.
                          Don't think so!

I really did think that the Abbado lacked sparkle: no joy in that first movement.
                          The Karajan came over as wooden/lumpy, too.

Still: it's always good to read other people's reactions.
                          I'll be interested to see what you think of the other versions you have.
                          I've just lined up the Kegel to listen to later.

Comment

I heard this symphony for the first and only time a few years ago at a free afternoon concert at Media City. John Storgards conducted the BBC Phil but I can't remember the rest of the programme. I was surprised to see how many recordings are available, most by major conductors, given that I have no recollection of having ever seen the symphony listed in a paying concert, at least in the north of England. Unsure whether I will investigate it further - I tend to think of Hindemith primarily as composing for the viola (of which he was a renowned player) and of chamber music for instruments that rarely take the spotlight.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                              Don't think so!

I really did think that the Abbado lacked sparkle: no joy in that first movement.
                              The Karajan came over as wooden/lumpy, too.

Still: it's always good to read other people's reactions.
                              I'll be interested to see what you think of the other versions you have.
                              I've just lined up the Kegel to listen to later.
                              Whew! Has the heat got to everyone on the Proms thread?? Anyway, back to 'Mathis der Maler' ... I thought that I should give the Abbado another listen (Universal Japan SHM-CD). I'm still with Pulcinella on this one - I continue to find it a bit joyless and rather dull. Part of the problem may be the rather lifeless recording - not a patch on Blomstedt. Or it may be that it is, simply, not a work much loved by Abbado - respected, yes, but not in the same league as the 'Symphonic Metamorphosis', of which the performance on the same disc is a delight. As to the question about Furtwängler, it's included in this box set:

Deutsche Grammophon has created a landmark new edition that offers a cross-section of the great German conductor’s career in all its remarkable creative on Deutsche Grammophon. Listen and buy now.

but which may no longer be widely available??

Comment

Working...
                              X