Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our Summer BAL 82 - Mompou Musica Callada

As far as I am aware, this has never been covered in BAL before and I suspect that it never will. It is the most substantial piano work by Federico (aka Frederic) Mompou (1893-1987) and is in 4 books with a total playing time of around 70 minutes. Available versions (from Presto website): -

Javier Perianes (D)
    Haskell Small (D)
    Alice Ader (D)
    Emil Brugalla (D)
    Lilit Grigoryan
    Adolf Pla (D)
    Federico Mompou
    Martin Jones
    Herbert Henck
    Allesandro Delyavan
    Steffen Schleiermacher
    Jean-François Heisser
    Jenny Lin
    Jordi Maso

I have the composer's own, which is part of a 4-CD set on Brilliant Classics. It was recorded in Mompou's home city of Barcelona in 1974 when he was 80 or 81. It is a late work, written between 1959 and 1967 in four books, the final book being first performed as late as 1972 (by Alicia de Larrocha, who appears not to have recorded it). The work's title translates as "Quiet Music" or "Silent Music" and is very different from Mompou's earlier piano music. Do forum members know this piece and if so I would be interested in opinions about any of the versions in or out of the catalogue.
    Last edited by CallMePaul; 26-08-22, 18:37.

Listen to unlimited or download Mompou plays Mompou - Vol. 1 (Musica Callada) by Federico Mompou in Hi-Res quality on Qobuz. Subscription from £10.83/month.

or for the lot:

Listen to unlimited or download Mompou: Complete Piano Works (The Ensayo Recordings) by Federico Mompou in Hi-Res quality on Qobuz. Subscription from 12.49€/month.

Comment

New territory for me, Paul.
      In fact, the only works of his that seem to be in my CD collection are two short pieces on a couple of BBC MM CDs (curiously, consecutive issues): Sean Shibe (guitar) playing Canço i Dansa No 13, and Anne Queffélec (piano) playing Canço i Dansas No 4.

I've found Mompou's own recording on Deezer, and have lined it up for later.

Comment

Originally posted by CallMePaul View Post
        As far as I am aware, this has never been covered in BAL before and I suspect that it never will. It is the most substantial piano work by Federico (aka Frederic) Mompou (1893-1987) and is in 4 books with a total playing time of around 70 minutes. Available versions (from Presto website): -

It appears that the composer's own, which I have as part of a 4-CD set on Brilliant Classics, may no longer be available, which is a great pity. It was recorded in Mompou's home city of Barcelona in 1974 when he was 80 or 81. It is a late work, written between 1959 and 1967 in four books, the final book being first performed as late as 1972 (by Alicia de Larrocha, who appears not to have recorded it). The work's title translates as "Quiet Music" or "Silent Music" and is very different from Mompou's earlier piano music. Do forum members know this piece and if so I would be interested in opinions about any of the versions in or out of the catalogue.
        Available here:

Mompou: Complete Piano Works. Brilliant Classics: 6515. Buy 4 CDs or download online. Federico Mompou (piano)

Presto's listing may have confused you.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
          Available here:

Mompou: Complete Piano Works. Brilliant Classics: 6515. Buy 4 CDs or download online. Federico Mompou (piano)

Presto's listing may have confused you.
          I have now amended my listing and comments - I'm not sure why Presto did not list it as a recording of the piece.

Comment

Looks like the composer's own recording is here on YouTube:

Música callada (1959/67), de Frederic Mompou i Dencausse (1893-1987). Frederic Mompou, piano. Primer cuaderno (1959)I. Angelico (00:00)II. Lent (1:46)III. Pl...

Comment

Only just noticed this thread. This is one of my favourite piano works. However, that is because I can play it, and do, quite a lot! Generally, I am not so keen on recordings of things I can play. I do own the Javier Perianes and the Lilli Gregoryan, but I'm not sure I've ever played them right through. I occasionally play a track from them or from Mompou on youtube, to see what speed they have chosen, etc...

Largely irrelevant fact: Don Paterson credits the Henck recording in his acknowledgements at the end of his marvellous Rilke versions, Orpheus.

Comment

Alicia de Larrocha did record an early-1980s Decca LP of Mompou, and I think it was Musica Callada.

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                  Alicia de Larrocha did record an early-1980s Decca LP of Mompou, and I think it was Musica Callada.
                  As a full LP, more likely to be the Songs and Dances (though this is RCA not Decca):

(1994) CD: RCA 09026-62554-2 MOMPOU •  Songs and Dances Nos. 1-12, 14 •  Prelude No. 11 (dedicated to Alicia de Larrocha) •  Preludes Nos....

PS: Musica Callada IV features in several Decca compilations though:

Comment

Hyperion has informed me, via their regular monthly email, that a new recording by Sir Stephen Hough is due for imminent release. Hopefully a recording by this high-profile pianist with give the work more attention. Is it too much to hope that Sir Stephen will give public performances of the work?

Comment

Originally posted by CallMePaul View Post
                      Hyperion has informed me, via their regular monthly email, that a new recording by Sir Stephen Hough is due for imminent release. Hopefully a recording by this high-profile pianist with give the work more attention. Is it too much to hope that Sir Stephen will give public performances of the work?
                      Not quite imminent: Presto give release date as 3 February 2023.

Mompou: Música Callada. Hyperion: CDA68362. Buy CD or download online. Stephen Hough (piano)

It's a shame that Hyperion aren't part of the streaming crowd, as I'd like to hear this.

Hough recently played some Mompou (Bristol recital): a five-star Guardian review.

Playing his own Partita alongside Debussy, Scriabin, Mompou and Liszt, the artist showed himself equal to any technical demand

Comment

[QUOTE=Pulcinella;900233]Not quite imminent: Presto give release date as 3 February 2023.

Mompou: Música Callada. Hyperion: CDA68362. Buy CD or download online. Stephen Hough (piano)

It's a shame that Hyperion aren't part of the streaming crowd, as I'd like to hear this.

There are excepts available on the Presto website (not the complete work!), even though download and hard copy are due for release on the same day.

Comment

Times review of the new Hough recording:

Comment

Working...
                          X