Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our Summer BAL 6: Brahms Serenade No 1

Thought I'd help verismissimo out with the summer BALs by opting for one of Brahms' sunniest works, the first Serenade. This work gives the lie to the misconceived idea among some of Brahms as a purveyor of dour, earnest and heavy music as it has such a lyrical freshness.

There seem to be plenty of choices from Toscanini and Boult to Abbado (with BPO and Mahler Chamber Orchestra), Mackerras, Tilson Thomas, Haitink, Belohlavek, Wand, Bernstein inter al. I first heard this work in the version with Kertesz and the LSO which I still think is superb - the LSO on top form. The Abbado/Mahler CO version which was played on Classical Collection this morning was slightly disappointing as it was sluggish in some places with excessive rubato.

Any particular preferences? I would expect Haitink's version with the Concertgebouw to be impressive on the basis of his Brahms performances last week with the COE.

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
    Thought I'd help verismissimo out with the summer BALs by opting for one of Brahms' sunniest works, the first Serenade. This work gives the lie to the misconceived idea among some of Brahms as a purveyor of dour, earnest and heavy music as it has such a lyrical freshness.

There seem to be plenty of choices from Toscanini and Boult to Abbado (with BPO and Mahler Chamber Orchestra), Mackerras, Tilson Thomas, Haitink, Belohlavek, Wand, Bernstein inter al. I first heard this work in the version with Kertesz and the LSO which I still think is superb - the LSO on top form. The Abbado/Mahler CO version which was played on Classical Collection this morning was slightly disappointing as it was sluggish in some places with excessive rubato.

Any particular preferences? I would expect Haitink's version with the Concertgebouw to be impressive on the basis of his Brahms performances last week with the COE.
    Kertesz, Abbado in either recordings, also many years ago I remember a very good prom performance with COE. I agree that it is a wonderfully sunny work (Brahms can be dark at times) and has fared well on CD/LP over the years. Boult also very good.

Comment

Wonderful choice, aeolium. I've only ever had Haitink with the Concertgebouw from 1978. I'll re-visit it!

Comment

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
        What a lovely piece this is!
        My own favourites are the wonderfully invigorating recordings by Mackerras/SCO (Telarc) and Kertesz/LSO (Decca), along with Brusilow/Philadelphia Chamber Players (never officially released on CD, on an RCA Victor LP). Haitink is very good too, though not quite as ebullient. Much as I admire him in so much repertoire, I find Abbado slightly disappointing in this piece. Ditto Boult but the problem there is some less than impeccable orchestral playing.

Comment

Originally posted by makropulos View Post
          What a lovely piece this is!
          along with Brusilow/Philadelphia Chamber Players (never officially released on CD, on an RCA Victor LP).
          I had forgotten this one - nicely played with small forces if I remember correctly, definitely a candidate for the recordings to be reissued thread.

Comment

yes - for me Bernard Haitink / Koninklijk Concertgebouworkest, 1976, Philips.

I find I also have Frans Brüggen / Radioorkest on the Brilliant intégrale - I blush to say not yet listened to - must rectify this weekend (perhaps a counterblast to the Notting Hill Carnival half a mile away... )

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
              yes - for me Bernard Haitink / Koninklijk Concertgebouworkest, 1976, Philips.
              Ditto - an absolutely magical recording. I also have the Kertesz but it doesn't match the almost miraculous combination of a joyful rhythmic pulse with nonetheless a sense of ease that Haitink gets perfectly right. One of my favourite CDs.

I happened to catch the Abbado / Mahler CO on the radio this morning - strangely lacking in just that sense of impetus that enlivens the Haitink. Abbado seemed to be going for something dreamy even in the faster movements, but I found it just too slow and a bit soporific.
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

I thought the Abbado this morning was distinctly lacklustre. Coming to it 'blind' in the car it took quite a while to even realise it was Brahms.

Comment

Originally posted by barber olly View Post
                  Kertesz, Abbado in either recordings, also many years ago I remember a very good prom performance with COE. I agree that it is a wonderfully sunny work (Brahms can be dark at times) and has fared well on CD/LP over the years. Boult also very good.
                  That's me done then. I would have suggeted Boult and Kertesz. Interesting to see what others come up with.

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                    Ditto - an absolutely magical recording. I also have the Kertesz but it doesn't match the almost miraculous combination of a joyful rhythmic pulse with nonetheless a sense of ease that Haitink gets perfectly right. One of my favourite CDs.

Spot on, Caliban.

Comment

I'm quite happy with Haitink and Kertesz...

...except they're on LP. Time for a third, CD, version??
                      I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                        I'm quite happy with Haitink and Kertesz...

...except they're on LP. Time for a third, CD, version??
                        Since you have two of the best ones already, I'd certainly recommend (strongly) the Mackerras/SO for a CD alternative version.

Comment

I would have liked to have heard Beecham conduct this work, with the 'Royal Family' of woodwind and Dennis Brain and Alan Civil in the horns. I'm not sure if he ever performed it - he certainly doesn't seem to have recorded much Brahms, mainly the 2nd symphony, the violin concerto and some overtures.

Comment

I 'only' have the Haitink/Concertgebouw as part of his Philips complete symphonies, etc set, as a reference point, and have never found that I'm lacking other versions, but I'd certainly be interested to give Kertesz a visit. A wonderful piece, and Haitink - as ever - does Brahms proud.

Comment

I've just investigated the largely unexplored LPs that descended from my brother's father-in-law, a very mainstream record collector post-war.

LSO Kertesz. 1 & 2, with lovely Caspar David Friedrich reproductions on the sleeves.
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                              X