Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our Summer BAL 10 - Lalo Symphonie Espagnole

I seem somehow to have lots of recordings of this old warhorse - it does not seem to be done in concert much nowadays .

My favourites are KWC,the early two Menuhin recordings on EMI and Ida Haendel with Ancerl ( fiery stuff) .

Any others .

I was surprised to look and see that I have 14 versions, my favourites are Repin, Oistrakh, Grumiaux, Stern and Gimpel (a neglected player and a recording that I don't think has made it to CD). I think it's a piece that lots of violinists play and many get the notes but not the atmosphere.

Mike

Comment

I agree about the lack of atmosphere . I found that in the highly rated Vengerov/Pappano version .

I was sure I had the Perlman/Barenboim but that must be on cassette and I have not heard it for years.

Comment

I've always had Gimpel and recently acquired Oistrakh, yet to be listened to.

Anyone heard Lalo's Violin Concerto of 1874, or his Cello Concerto?

I must look out the bits of Le Roi d'Ys that I have. Anyone heard/seen that?

Comment

The Cello Concerto is a pretty well known work surely. There is a dazzling old record of it with Navarra and Silvestri .

The Violin Concerto was available with another Lalo work the Concerto Russe on Chandos with Olivier Charlier playing - well played but rather forgettable as I recall.

Comment

Oistrakh's playing with Kondrashin is superb, but the recording from 1947, radio derived I suppose, is very ropey.

I've been listening to various recordings of the Aubade from Le Roi d'Ys. This is exquisite - from the great Alfredo Kraus:

De Le Roy D'ys. Concierto celebrado en Lanzarote el 29 de diciembre de 1990. Orqueta Filarmónica de Gran Canaria. Director de orquesta: Gian Paolo Sanzogno.P...

Comment

I have recordings by Huberman, Heifetz and Oistrakh (x2). I couldn't say one's better than the others, although the first two aren't quite complete, they're just different.

Comment

The LMP shelves are not burdened with multiple copies for once, just the Gimpel on a Heliodor LP recently freed, merely out of mild curiosity, from a local charity shop.

It sounds pleasant enough to be kept, but in saying this am I perhaps delimiting the current estimation of the work? Few versions by contemporary artists have yet been mentioned, and I can't recall when I last saw it on a concert billing or a R3 listing. I fear I won't be rushing for a CD version whatever is said here.
                I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

Does it suffer from having the last movement as a regular on Classic FM?

I see there's a fairly recent recording by Anne Sophie Mutter.

Comment

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                    The LMP shelves are not burdened with multiple copies for once, just the Gimpel on a Heliodor LP recently freed, merely out of mild curiosity, from a local charity shop.

It sounds pleasant enough to be kept, but in saying this am I perhaps delimiting the current estimation of the work? Few versions by contemporary artists have yet been mentioned, and I can't recall when I last saw it on a concert billing or a R3 listing. I fear I won't be rushing for a CD version whatever is said here.
                    Mine neither only 5
                    Ricci SRO Ansermet
                    Campoli LPO Beinum
                    Meyers RPO Lopez-Cobos
                    Mintz IPO Mehta
                    ZukermanLAPO Mehta

It's a work I like so much that I can't remember when I last played it!

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                      I seem somehow to have lots of recordings of this old warhorse - it does not seem to be done in concert much nowadays .

My favourites are KWC,the early two Menuhin recordings on EMI and Ida Haendel with Ancerl ( fiery stuff) .

Any others .
                      Barbirollians KWC?

Comment

I seem to have 1 of this [Sym Esp]; Kogan/Philharmonia/Kondrashin on a double EMI cd "Leonid Kogan - a profile"

And quite stunning it is, too.

Comment

Just realised I have Zukerman/NYPO/Mehta - that's brilliant as well - lots of highly-spirited moments.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                            Barbirollians KWC?
                            Sorry - Kyung Wha Chung with Dutoit . Terrific recording but only apparently available second hand on CD coupled with her Tzigane and Vieuxtemps No 5 .

Comment

Thanks for solving that mystery for me. Ok - there are some available - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Symphonie-Es.../dp/B00000E2RJ

Comment

Working...
                              X