Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favourite one-off Shostakovich symphony recordings

It occurred to me today when listening to that excellent Hallé Prom that my favourite Shostakovich symphony recordings tend to be by conductors who have not recorded complete cycles as much as I have got a lot from Barshai and Petrenko’s sets .

I would list these as favourites - what would your one-off ( though I think I would include anyone who has not recorded a complete cycle ) recordings of these symphonies ?

Ancerl 1,5 and 10
    CBSO/Rattle 4
    LSO/Previn 6 &8 latter the DG one
    Berlin/Sanderling 5
    NYPO/Bernstein 5. &9
    Houston/Stokowski 11
    Bournemouth SO/Berglund 7

5 and 9 by the BRT Philharmonic Orchestra, Brussels, under Alexander Rahbari, on Naxos.
    Not part of the earlier (pre-Petrenko) complete set on Naxos, of which I kept 14.

PS: I think (need to check) that I kept that version of 14 as it's an all-Russian one, rather than the polyglot Haitink.
    Anyone know what the usual performance/recording language(s) used is?

Comment

Shostakovich never loses his topicality does he? As relevant to today's world as ever.

Agree with LSO/Previn for 6 & 8 but the 1973 EMI one is preferable.
      Also agree with NYPO/Bernstein in 5 and CPO/Ancerl in 5, also CBSO/Rattle in 4 and Bournemouth SO/Berglund in 7, one of my first DSCH records.

I'd add BPO/Karajan in 10 (either recording).
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

I certainly agree with the Ancerl 1 5 9
        also
        Mitropoulos 10
        Martinon 1
        Weller 1 9

I sometimes wonder if cycles became a chore for conductors and some eg Previn mostly recorded the music he particularly liked and sometimes more than once.
        Last edited by cloughie; 30-07-23, 12:55.

Comment

Just remembered another: Philadelphia Orchestra/Ormandy in 1.
          It got a Penguin Guide rosette.

Shostakovich: Symphony No. 1 in F minor, Op. 10, etc.. Sony: SBK62642. Buy download online. Philadelphia Orchestra, Eugene Ormandy

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
            Just remembered another: Philadelphia Orchestra/Ormandy in 1.
            It got a Penguin Guide rosette.

https://www.prestomusic.com/classica...inor-op-10-etc
            I bought the LP for the 1st Cello Concerto around the time of its release. It was my introduction to the 1st Symphony. Each remains a favourite recording of those works.

Comment

Barbs list covers some of mine-Ancerl, Bernstein, Sanderling. I would add the Bernstein/CSO Seven, Sanderling Ten, and Lopez-Corbos/Cincinnati in 1/15
              land the HvK Tenth
              Last edited by richardfinegold; 30-07-23, 13:26. Reason: Cloughie jogged a brain cell

Comment

I think Karajan's only Shostakovich recordings were his two of No10!

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                  I think Karajan's only Shostakovich recordings were his two of No10!
                  Yes, though, to be pedantic, three of 10! Two for DG, one live one from Leningrad/St Petersburg. (And more on Youtube, of Sym 10)

Comment

Kondrashin and the RCO in the 4th. On disc 1 of this set:

or, oif course, in the big RCO radio recordings boxed set.

A lower audio definition version can be found on YouTube:

Dmitri ShostakovichSymphony n°4 op.43I. Allegretto poco moderato 0:00II. Moderato con moto 24:45III. Largo. Allegro 33:11Concertgebouworkest AmsterdamKirill ...

Comment

Gald to see you mention Berglund's 7th and Stokowski's 11th, Barbirollians: both old favourites of mine.

I'd add Mravinsky's 8th on BBC Legends, the 1960 Festival Hall concert which I believe was the first time the symphony had been played outside Russia. Given that there was no available recording it must have been quite an event.

I'm also fond of Boult's 6th on Everest and Cluytens' 11th, a French Columbia recording made in the Salle Wagram in 1958 when Shostakovitch visited Paris. The rather fine stereo version I think appeared for the first time on a Tetsament CD.

Comment

Rattle in 4 for me too - one of the very best things he did in Birmingham.
                        Bernstein in 5 - the live one on tour in Tokyo.
                        Neeme Jarvi in 7, mainly cos of the fastish speeds.
                        Ancerl in 10

Comment

The CBSO/Rattle 4 is cleverly coupled with Britten's Russian Funeral, composed the same year (1936).
                          Lined up for listening to next (currently streaming the Cincinnati 1/15 coupling mentioned by Richard).

Comment

Another PhiladelphiaOrmandy LP I bought in the 1970s was his recording of the 4th but I've never bought it on CD. Is it still available?
                            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                              Another PhiladelphiaOrmandy LP I bought in the 1970s was his recording of the 4th but I've never bought it on CD. Is it still available?
                              Yes, as a download as part of this set:

Eugene Ormandy Conducts Shostakovich. Sony: 19439704792. Buy download online. Mason Jones (horn), Mstislav Rostropovich (cello) Philadelphia Orchestra, Eugene Ormandy

Comment

Working...
                              X