This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recordings discussed on RR

A thread for recordings mentioned on Record Review (not BaL)
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Don’t know whether any one is listening to the excellent Roger Parker CD review on now but that Micheal Spyres Opera aria album featured an aria with a top Eflat in it.

Daniel François Esprit Auber

Le Lac des fées: Fée immortelle

Singer: Michael Spyres. Orchestra: Halle. Conductor: Carlo Rizzi.
    • OPERA RARA

I think he sang it full voice not falsetto. Extraordinary.

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
      Don’t know whether any one is listening to the excellent Roger Parker CD review on now but that Micheal Spyres Opera aria album featured an aria with a top Eflat in it.

Daniel François Esprit Auber

Le Lac des fées: Fée immortelle

Singer: Michael Spyres. Orchestra: Halle. Conductor: Carlo Rizzi.
      • OPERA RARA

I think he sang it full voice not falsetto. Extraordinary.
      He did sing it full voice. It's a wonderful aria from a superb opera (Auber is a 'cause' of mine), and Spyres does it to perfection.

I was amused by Roger Parker's dryly humorous description of the plot ("A Prince falls in love with a fairy disguised as a swan") as "completely ridiculous". I suppose the world is divided up into people who find such an idea absurd, and those - like myself - who find it completely natural! I wonder if he'd have said the same about Swan Lake?

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

I fear you're right, but that's why I thought a more general thread under the Record Review heading might be of use in future.
        And I did appreciate us being brought back on track!
        Forgive the digression but this two piano* (not duet as in the back announcement) version of the Slow movement of the Rachmaninov’s Eminor symphony is magnificent. What incredible playing by Sergei Babayon and Daniel Trifonov in the latter’s arrangement.
        * and the two pianos are in tune with each other for once.

Comment

Working...
        X