Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Bach harpsichord concertos

I have Rousset and Egarr in these concerti, but I have just got hold of a second hand copy of the Leonhardt set recorded way back in the mid 1960's.

It's been many years since I have heard them (the LPs were old favourites) and though I was expecting them to sound rather dated, I was actually amazed to hear how well they still stand up.

Do any forumistas have any other recommendations?

The only complete set I have of these works is the Egarr/AAM/Manze - which is (as is their Music-making always) absolutely wonderful.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

I have an old CBS set:

Igor Kipnis/The London Strings (ASMF under another name?)/Marriner

Supplemented by a Naxos collection for two, three, and four harpsichords:

I'm not sure that either would pass muster with any authentic brigade hereabouts, but I quite like them!

Comment

Micky: not a complete answer but I'd recommend this Cafe Zimmermann box https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vivaldi-Cha...l%2C141&sr=1-1which will give you solo concertos BWV 1052, 55 and 56, double concerto 1061, both triple concertos and the quad.

For one like me who can get tired and confused by discs featuring four similar works in rapid succession, the JSB discs have the great advantage of being arranged as if an actual C18 concert at Zimmermann's, so for instance Disc 1 will give you BWV1052 plus oboe d'amore concerto 1056 (there's one of your missing keyboard concertos!), vln conc BWV1042 and the 5th Brandenburg. Over the 6 such discs you get all 4 Suites, the 3 standard violin conc's and all 6 Brandenburgs. Bliss! Plus a fair few other works: some of the other 'missing' hpschd concertos turn up reverse-engineered for possibly their original solo instruments.
        I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
          Micky: not a complete answer but I'd recommend this Cafe Zimmermann box https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vivaldi-Cha...l%2C141&sr=1-1which will give you solo concertos BWV 1052, 55 and 56, double concerto 1061, both triple concertos and the quad.

For one like me who can get tired and confused by discs featuring four similar works in rapid succession, the JSB discs have the great advantage of being arranged as if an actual C18 concert at Zimmermann's, so for instance Disc 1 will give you BWV1052 plus oboe d'amore concerto 1056 (there's one of your missing keyboard concertos!), vln conc BWV1042 and the 5th Brandenburg. Over the 6 such discs you get all 4 Suites, the 3 standard violin conc's and all 6 Brandenburgs. Bliss! Plus a fair few other works: some of the other 'missing' hpschd concertos turn up reverse-engineered for possibly their original solo instruments.
          Thanks for that reminder - I have been meaning to acquire that box for a while, a real bargain. And I agree with you, much nicer to have mixed instrument concerti rather than listening to all the harpsichord concerti together - a very good idea.

Comment

What the Café Zimmermann recordings have in common with the Leonhardt set is using one player per part, which was even more daring a thing to do in the 1960s than it is now, although it does immediately solve any problems of balance between soloist and accompaniment. (The recording of BWV1052 in that set is actually by Tachezi and Harnoncourt with a slightly larger ensemble, but never mind.)

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
              What the Café Zimmermann recordings have in common with the Leonhardt set is using one player per part, which was even more daring a thing to do in the 1960s than it is now, although it does immediately solve any problems of balance between soloist and accompaniment. (The recording of BWV1052 in that set is actually by Tachezi and Harnoncourt with a slightly larger ensemble, but never mind.)
              Yes, I should have mentioned that - a pity Leonhardt didn't do BWV 1052 at the time, but he did record a very fine version later on for the Seon label. That said, I must say that I still find Tachezi and Harnoncourt very pleasing.

Comment

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                ....... I must say that I still find Tachezi and Harnoncourt very pleasing.
                And I find the Tachezi and Alice Harnoncourt recording (LP only) of the Bach violin and harpsichord sonatas the most pleasing I have heard.

Comment

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                  I must say that I still find Tachezi and Harnoncourt very pleasing.
                  Yes indeed, I wouldn't have minded hearing them play the rest of the set. If you don't have the CZ set though, do acquire it as soon as you can - everything about it is excellent, not least the way the Brandenburg Concertos, Suites and all the others are reordered into mixed programmes. Once I start listening I always want to carry on through all six discs.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                    Yes indeed, I wouldn't have minded hearing them play the rest of the set. If you don't have the CZ set though, do acquire it as soon as you can - everything about it is excellent, not least the way the Brandenburg Concertos, Suites and all the others are reordered into mixed programmes. Once I start listening I always want to carry on through all six discs.
                    I wish I'd known about this box before acquiring the Brandenburg Concertos separately.

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                      I wish I'd known about this box before acquiring the Brandenburg Concertos separately.
                      It's still a bargain if you regard it as just the 10 additional discs compared to the six disc "plusieurs instruments" set.

Comment

Might indulge... once I've bought this olive green Fender Mustang I've been saving up for for a while now.

Comment

Anyone for Piano...?
                          Been indulging in this quite often recently......

Listen to unlimited or download Bach: Keyboard Concertos, BWV 1052-1058 by Alena Cherny in Hi-Res quality on Qobuz. Subscription from £10.83/month.

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                            Anyone for Piano...?
                            I've been working my way through the Lipatti ICON box with the greatest pleasure. One of the very greatest. Such a tragic early end in 1950.

Just reached BWV1052 with the Concertgebouw/van Beinum in 1947. To be honest, not for me worth a second visit.

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                              Anyone for Piano...?
                              Been indulging in this quite often recently......

https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/ba.../lbplt3y7zelya

Just found the Perahia set on Deezer, so listening as I type. Angela Hewitt (being Hyperion) won't be available to compare.

Comment

Working...
                              X