Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dave Hurwitz reviews - love 'em or hate 'em

I've just come across this one man reviewer/controversialist on Youtube. He is definitely an acquired taste and doesn't pull his punches. His opinions/prejudices are clearly and brashly stated and likely to rile some of us -witness his dismissal of the Walter/Ferrier Das Lied.
    Here's the link to Das Lied: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uA8_zjn-ZU

He frequently expresses contempt for The Gramophone and its reviewers and some conductors eg Haitink often get pretty short shrift, boring being the regular epithet of choice, whilst others eg Mackerras could do no wrong: the Currentzis recording of Beethoven 7 gets mauled, so he likes to stir things up!
    I had not previously thought of Elgar's finest work being the Mogul March from the The Crown of India but apparently Hurwitz wants me to.

I watched the youTube put-down of the Currentzis Beethoven 7 and, while it had its hilarious moments, the man comes across as a total a*s*h*l*. Fearing for my blood pressure, it would be best if I refrain from watching any more.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Put me down for a supersize portion of hate 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
        I watched the youTube put-down of the Currentzis Beethoven 7 and, while it had its hilarious moments, the man comes across as a total a*s*h*l*. Fearing for my blood pressure, it would be best if I refrain from watching any more.
        Well Pet, I must say over the years you’ve been making contributions to the forum I’ve seen occasional hints of annoyance but that is the first to my knowledge of hints of bad asterisked bad language - I can only think that Hurwitz criticism of Uncle Bernie tipped you over the edge.

This Hurwitz will have a more calming effect

Comment

I know nothing.

Sometimes (usually) my total ignorance is a spur to discover more. In this case, investigating one opinionated individual who dismisses the respected views of others seems not top of my priorities. There are just too many of them.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

He seems to polarise opinion. I know people on other forums who think he's great (usually for the comedy value) whilst others cannot stand him. He does appear to have an open mind towards the more obscure composers which, for a reviewer, is unusual. For example, if his going on about how good e.g. Joachim Raff is and as a result, more people get to know his works because of that, then that's good.

Having said that, I've never listened or watched one of his programmes on U-tube.
            Best regards,
            Jonathan

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan View Post
              For example, if his going on about how good e.g. Joachim Raff is and as a result, more people get to know his works because of that, then that's good.
              Except that with his reputation (I did know about that!) he will put many people off investigating.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                Except that with his reputation (I did know about that!) he will put many people off investigating.
                Which of course, totally wrong. A pity. Why don’t people just trust their own instinct?
                Don’t cry for me
                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

I have to admit to visiting Hurwitz's site more often than I should, but I always do so with a healthy (unhealthy?) helping of salt to hand.

Good things about the site are its search engine and the presence of other reviewers who are more moderate in their language - DH has in a number of cases described recordings as "disgusting" - and generally better informed; I've seen at least one DH review that suggests he thinks Hallé is a place where Skrowaczewski used to be principal.

As for the Brit-bashing, well, he's not alone in that, but in his case 10/10 for a UK recording must mean he really liked it!

Comment

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
                    Which of course, totally wrong. A pity. Why don’t people just trust their own instinct?
                    I disagree with that assessment. Sure, he does, very occasionally, show a fleeting glimpse of good taste, but having got used to rejecting both his negative and positive criticisms, it is all too easy to be put off listening to recordings he rates highly. Best just to ignore him.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                      I disagree with that assessment. Sure, he does, very occasionally, show a fleeting glimpse of good taste, but having got used to rejecting both his negative and positive criticisms, it is all too easy to be put off listening to recordings he rates highly. Best just to ignore him.
                      ... and the same goes for Bernard O' Hanlon, often encountered on amazon reviews

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                        ... and the same goes for Bernard O' Hanlon, often encountered on amazon reviews.
                        Indeed, Hurwitz is effectively another BO'H with his own reviews website. BO'H all too often undermines the average 'star' ratings of the customer reviews on Amazon.

Comment

I agree - I think Hurwitz and O'Hanlon have a lot in common - best to ignore their frequently poisonous reviews entirely.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                            Indeed, Hurwitz is effectively another BO'H with his own reviews website. BO'H all too often undermines the average 'star' ratings of the customer reviews on Amazon.
                            Yes but there are many 5* ratings which are very questionable!

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                              Yes but there are many 5* ratings which are very questionable!
                              Indeed so, and far too many based on 'stars only' assessments with a lack of attendant reviews.

Comment

Working...
                              X