Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bax - Piano Sonata No.1

For anyone interested in the English piano sonata, there's a comparative review on the Bax Website of Bax's First Sonata, here:

The author intends to follow up, with similar surveys of the remaining three Bax sonatas, if this proves popular. It may appeal to enthusiasts for the Gramophone-style comparatives, or indeed the old-style Building a Library!

My own opinion is, that although Bax's 1st Sonata hasn't yet received a "perfect" recording (how could it?) it's been pretty fortunate in its interpreters, especially those from outside the UK.

Many thanks for this MJ.

Franziska Lee comes closest to perfection, only IMVHO, in fact it London Nights was my record of the year 2021, what bigger accolade can there be ?
    “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

I heartily agree, Edgy 2. Few discs brought me so much pleasure as this, during 2021. It rather crept under the radar, too. Beautiful playing and recording from Franziska Lee.

Comment

Not really connected to the Sonata, but whenever I try to search this site for posts on Bax I'm told the word is too short...

Comment

Malcolm Binns' recording of all four sonatas , with the alternative passages in the Second, was a revelation for me, having known these works only from the Iris Loveridge LPs.

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
            Malcolm Binns' recording of all four sonatas , with the alternative passages in the Second, was a revelation for me, having known these works only from the Iris Loveridge LPs.
            If you don't already know Michael Endres' set (OEMS Classics) I heartily recommend it. Just as Vernon Handley alerts us to the structural maps of Bax's Symphonies, so Endres gives us similar insights into the Piano Sonatas. They both add new (if not necessarily "deeper") layers to our understanding of these always astonishing works.

Comment

Working...
            X