X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jonathan
    • Mar 2007

Really looking forward to the next installment on Somm of F.X.Scharwenka's transcriptions of Beethoven's 2nd and 7th symphonies played by Tessa Uys and Ben Schoeman.
    Best regards,
    Jonathan

Comment

• Pulcinella
      Host
      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by RichardB View Post
      A strange choice, given its expansiveness, for someone with a stated distaste for long stretches of music - that Mass is considerably longer than Rameau's Pigmalion... still, thanks for flagging it up, I look forward to hearing that, being a strong admirer of the Cappella Pratensis way of doing things.

Not sure how I stumbled across them, but I remember that I ordered three CDs direct from them/(their site?) that are mainly Josquin. I have the Tallis Scholars version of this Obrecht mass.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
        The BPO Petrenko set of Shostakovich (S8, S9, S10) gets a glowing review in today's Times:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/k...1eb56d525061cc
        I see that a 96/24 2-channel stereo version of the 8th is now available on QOBUZ. No sign (yet?) of the 9th or 10th, however.

Comment

• Pulcinella
          Host
          • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          I see that a 96/24 2-channel stereo version of the 8th is now available on QOBUZ. No sign (yet?) of the 9th or 10th, however.
          Stephen Johnson gives four stars for performance and five stars for recording in the May 2023 issue of BBC MM.
          He has some doubts, and prefers Vasily in places.

Comment

• Alison
            • Nov 2010

ES likes the Tenth, the Eighth and Ninth somewhat less in May Gramophone. Not elemental enough, too sophisticated etc.

Comment

• RichardB
              Banned
              • Nov 2021

A new recording of Dowland's Lachrimae on Alpha, by the Musicall Humours consort. Very restrained and beautiful playing, and more varied than you'd expect on account of the players swapping instruments for different pieces, quite an unusual strategy for a viol consort but why not?

Comment

• Mandryka
                • Feb 2021

DIGITAL ONLY: SUMMARY TRACK LISTING REVIEWS INFO   Coming almost a decade and a half after the last CDs devoted to James Dillon’s music, this twinned pair of digital releases from Delphian Records and Red Note Ensemble presents two major works written for and premiered by the ensemble in the last six years. Tanz/haus:

(Sounds very good music to me! I mean, like, really very very good! Probably just in the mood for it.)

Comment

• Mandryka
                  • Feb 2021

A new recording of Dowland's Lachrimae on Alpha, by the Musicall Humours consort. Very restrained and beautiful playing, and more varied than you'd expect on account of the players swapping instruments for different pieces, quite an unusual strategy for a viol consort but why not?
                  It’s not a big beef and it’s easily dealt with, but I just wish they’d play the lachrimae uninterrupted, and not mix it up with other pieces. It’s a cycle IMO and benefits from being heard as such.

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
                    Thanks. I will check out the 96/24 option via QOBUZ.

Comment

• Jonathan
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Jonathan View Post
                      Really looking forward to the next installment on Somm of F.X.Scharwenka's transcriptions of Beethoven's 2nd and 7th symphonies played by Tessa Uys and Ben Schoeman.
                      Which arrived ahead of schedule direct from Somm. Maybe tomorrow I might have time to listen to it!
                      Best regards,
                      Jonathan

Comment

• RichardB
                        Banned
                        • Nov 2021

It’s not a big beef and it’s easily dealt with, but I just wish they’d play the lachrimae uninterrupted, and not mix it up with other pieces. It’s a cycle IMO and benefits from being heard as such.
                        That's one way of hearing it, but not the only one I think. The "other pieces" are all from the same 1604 publication as the pavans and surely there's no need to cleave to the published order any more than with any other collection of the time.

Oh yes, and the two new James Dillon discs. Fascinating and attractive music as always, and so much more individual and original than 99% of contemporary chamber music. I do find the echoes a somewhat heavy-handed way to use "live electronics", but that's a small complaint under the circumstances.
                        Last edited by RichardB; 19-04-23, 23:39.

Comment

• Master Jacques
                          • Feb 2012

There is a theory that Downland may not have envisaged them being played uninterrupted as a cycle, but would have expected them to be varied with the "divers other pavans, galliards and allemands" which he had published with his "seven teares". So dividing it into suites might actually be a viable solution. I rather prefer to hear them split, like jewels ("teare" has the double meaning of gem) set into a crown.

Luckily CD programming makes it possible for us to play them just as we wish.

Comment

• Mandryka
                            • Feb 2021

Originally posted by Master Jacques View Post
                            There is a theory that Downland may not have envisaged them being played uninterrupted as a cycle, but would have expected them to be varied with the "divers other pavans, galliards and allemands" which he had published with his "seven teares". So dividing it into suites might actually be a viable solution.
                            Interesting - is there anything to read about this?

Originally posted by Master Jacques View Post

“teare" has the double meaning of gem
                            Very good factoid! The preface makes it clear that tear is already complex idea, with seven nuances, without that additional one. Hard to play in a way which brings out the different senses.

Comment

• Mandryka
                              • Feb 2021

so much more individual and original than 99% of contemporary chamber music.
                              That’s so true!

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                                • Nov 2010

Pace the usual snooterati about Steve Reich, this:

is due tomorrow. Music which never fails to energise/uplift me so, being biased in its favour because of Colin Currie, I have high expectations.

Comment

Working...
                                X