This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Delius with Andrew Davis

I am tempted to get the new Chandos Delius disk - Appalachia & Song of the High Hills. Jeremy Dibble liked it in Gramophone. Andrew Davis gets some stick on these boards but who else is there to record Delius at the moment? Has anyone heard it it?

Comment

Originally posted by robk View Post
      I am tempted to get the new Chandos Delius disk - Appalachia & Song of the High Hills. Jeremy Dibble liked it in Gramophone. Andrew Davis gets some stick on these boards but who else is there to record Delius at the moment? Has anyone heard it it?
      Ordered it from Amazon today. I've always loved Appalachia but didn't have it on CD.

I've never really understood the hostility towards Andrew Davis. He's one of the leading lights of British orchestral music IMO, as his performances of Elgar, Delius and Tippett, and his recent Holst disc, go to prove.

Comment

I will go for it. I have Davis on Teldec with Paris, Brigg Fair, First Cuckoo etc and love it. It will be interesting to see what the 150th anniversary brings forth next year.

Comment

Let's hope someone remembers the anniversary with something substantial - look how poorly Grainger has been served at the Proms.

Comment

I've ordered the new Alwyn Violin concerto on Naxos with the under-rated Lorraine McAuslan as soloist. I've always had a soft spot for Alwyn a a composer having played the 3rd Symphony under the late Harry Legge during a Rehearsal Orchestra course.

Comment

For fans of the Concertgebouw, Volume 6 of their Anthology Series (1990 - 2000) is due to appear in a few weeks (late August in France according to amazon.fr). Track listings can be found at

Earlier volumes have given me hours of listening pleasure so I'm eagerly awaiting this one

Comment

Re Dutton, see my message 238 on the Bargains thread. Their sale offers finish on August 14th.

Comment

I have heard the Eine Alpensinfonie played by CBSO/Nelsons. Very good indeed. Strongly recomend!
                  Don’t cry for me
                  I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

The much-acclaimed Smetana Ma Vlast - Talich 1939, live - and quickly sold out has been remastered and newly issued on Supraphon.

TALICH LIVE 1939 / SMETANA B. MÁ VLAST / MY COUNTRY, DVOŘÁK A. SLAVONIC DANCES Op.72, NATIONAL ANTHEM / CPO / V.Talich (live 1939)
                    Last edited by PJPJ; 27-08-11, 14:19.

Comment

# 21 Thank you so much, HighlandDougie. The track listings convinced me to stretch the budget to yet another Bank Holiday treat. Re the cost, - good value for a 14 CD set; - like Scarlett O'Hara, " I won't think about it today. I'll think about it tomorrow. After all, tomorrow is another day." Further, Amazon Fr indicate delivery in about 4/5 days time. If the anthology matches Vol 5, I'll be content, indeed.

Comment

Many will welcome a new recording due from Chandos of music by Bernard Herrmann, including Moby Dick

Die SACD Bernard Herrmann: Moby Dick (Kantate) jetzt probehören und portofrei für 19,99 Euro kaufen. Mehr von Bernard Herrmann gibt es im Shop.

Comment

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
                          Many will welcome a new recording due from Chandos of music by Bernard Herrmann, including Moby Dick
                          Is that because he's expecting some royalties?

Comment

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                            Is that because he's expecting some royalties?
                            What do you mean?

Comment

What do you mean?
                              A joke explained is a dead whale ... I was amused that he was in the queue.

Comment

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/deta...e/hnum/4102946
                                Yes indeed. Thanks for the heads-up.

Comment

Working...
                                X