X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

Following the (what I thought was) excellent BaL, this might be of interest.

Everyone wants to record Bach’s Goldbergs, but not many show as much piercing insight as harpsichordist Mahan Esfahani […]

Comment

• Beef Oven!
      Ex-member
      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by doversoul1 View Post
      Following the (what I thought was) excellent BaL, this might be of interest.

Everyone wants to record Bach’s Goldbergs, but not many show as much piercing insight as harpsichordist Mahan Esfahani […]
      https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...ew-harpsichord
      Thanks for bringing this to our attention, doversole. I have long been happy with my two Glenn Gould recordings and Jeno Jando (plus some miscellaneous ones here and there!), but following on from that BaL, I can’t resist a Goldberg from Mahan Esfahan! Ordered brand new from the US via Amazon (keenest price).

I know you have been following him for some time, but until yesterday I had never even heard of him.

Comment

• MickyD
        • Nov 2010

I first heard of him when he was a guest player with the Academy of Ancient Music.

Another good Goldberg disc is Andreas Staier playing a reproduction of a monster Hass harpsichord...he uses it to full effect.

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
          anybody heard any of,or found a review of the Prague RSO Kabelac complete symphonies?

Or does anybody know where any of it can be heard ?
          Now available on Spotify, if anybody fancies a listen.

Edit:
          Just had a listen to the 4th symphony, chosen at random. Very enjoyable work. the first movement is a brooding, prowling thing, and very effective indeed. In this one , it's hard to get thoughts of other Czech composers, and especially Martinu, out of your mind, but despite that, there is a great deal to enjoy, IMO, including a full, lush sound in the recording.

Actually, from what I have heard, I'm surprised that his music isn't a lot more popular.

This set is going to be an early acquisition for me, I think.
          Last edited by teamsaint; 29-09-16, 22:38.
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
            I first heard of him when he was a guest player with the Academy of Ancient Music.

Another good Goldberg disc is Andreas Staier playing a reproduction of a monster Hass harpsichord...he uses it to full effect.
            ... mmm. Yes, it's fun. But his use of it "to full effect" to my ear leads him to enjoy the delights in the moment at the sacrifice of the larger picture. The local effects are extraordinary; I love his Hass and what he does with it. But I prefer a simpler approach, more straightforward instrument, for the overall structure. And here the Gilberts, Leonhardts, and other Roussets win out...

Comment

• Alison
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
              Not the LSO, but Philharmonia Zurich, ts:

I might very well invest in this - the Inbal and Tintner recordings I own don't quite "get it": excellent moments in both, but neither quite adding up. The reviews of the Luisi suggest that his is the one I've been hoping for. Thanks, Alison
              Anyone taken the plunge? Bryn? I'm saving this for a holiday in a couple of weeks

So did Fabio Luisi perform the same edition with the LSO?

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                Anyone taken the plunge? Bryn? I'm saving this for a holiday in a couple of weeks

yup, same edition at this LSO concert.
                Fabio Luisi and the LSO, vindicate magnificently Bruckner's first thoughts for his Eighth Symphony, and with Lise de la Salle create a splendidly multi-dimensional Mozart.
                Last edited by teamsaint; 29-09-16, 22:56.
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• Alison
                  • Nov 2010

Cheers Sainty, you made a fine choice to go that concert by all accounts.

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Alison View Post

I did indeed take the plunge. The discs arrived a few days ago but I have only listened to ripped mp3s in the car so far (on drive to and from work today). Very much taken with what I heard. I will probably give the discs a proper spin on Saturday.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

Saw on this month's BBC MM Chandos Ad, a old fashioned way of conducting Messiah!! Yes! Sir Andnrew Davis etc!!!
                      Don’t cry for me
                      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Pulcinella
                        Host
                        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                        Saw on this month's BBC MM Chandos Ad, a old fashioned way of conducting Messiah!! Yes! Sir Andnrew Davis etc!!!
                        It's actually being promoted as a New Concert Edition by Sir Andrew Davis, BBM.

In the associated blurb is this final sentence:
                        It is supported by substantial brass and woodwind forces, and several percussion instruments (including marimba!)
                        [Their excamation mark.]

I can see the appeal for you.

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

Symphonies 3 and 4 by Christopher Rouse finally got a release in May, which rather passed me by. ( NYP/ Gilbert).
                          available to try before you buy in the Naxos Library, or both works in full on Youtube.

it would be nice to be able to hear a performance of one of his symphonies in the UK.

His Fifth has its premiere in the States early 2017.

Comment

• Alison
                            • Nov 2010

Thanks Sainty. I must give these Rouse works a go. Are you taking a punt on the Bruckner 8 ?

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                              Banned
                              • Jul 2011

Gorgeous music, and really gorgeous sound... (CD, not file or stream. Live recordings 2-4/05/12. The Murail, a 2011-12 piano concerto, is a World Premiere).

Comment

• BBMmk2
                                Late Member
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                                It's actually being promoted as a New Concert Edition by Sir Andrew Davis, BBM.

In the associated blurb is this final sentence:
                                It is supported by substantial brass and woodwind forces, and several percussion instruments (including marimba!)
                                [Their excamation mark.]

I can see the appeal for you.
                                Yes indeed! I be quite interested! Thanks Pulci!
                                Don’t cry for me
                                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                                X