Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've always enjoyed this little concerto and it was interesting to hear about its background in the interview. A light-hearted and, perhaps, rather cheeky performance by Leo Van Doeselaar I thought. Great fun!

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
      yup, he had his lines of 4 nicely set out there, ER.

should be ok for the Set pieces.

Enjoyed that performance and interview.
      I really enjoyed this performance of my favourite of the four suites. It was good, for me, that they didn't feel the need to play at break-neck speed like some other period bands do. The whole thing felt light and nicely balanced. Quite a reverberant acoustic in that hall too but the detail was there in the recording.

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
        Given the quality of the music it's my guess that JSB has sexed-up the original considerably - this is what he could make of it.
        JSB as arranger, not as composer. Hence not a work of JSB's usual standards.
        What JSB as arranger presents -compare the Vivaldi originals with Bach's re-writings- shows his considerable skills in this field too.
        Thanks Roehre.

Comment

Today,organ music again.

Prelude and Fugue in E minor, BWV 548.

Known as 'The Wedge',visit the site to find out why.
          Often considered Bach's greatest organ work.
          Absolute monster of a piece,looks very complicated on paper,sounds very virtuosic at times,even the pedal part looks tricky.
          Sounds magnificent.

Comment

Today a short and and sweet organ piece.

BWV 679 - Fughetta 'Dies sind die heil'gen zehn Gebot'
            The Ten commandments again,companion to the BWV 678 we heard earlier in the series.
            Read the inside story on the AoB homepage for a detailed analysis,you won't believe there's so much going on in a 2 minute piece.

Comment

Had an email from AllofBach.com today to announce that next Friday's offering will in fact be a complete St Matthews Passion! Should be an exciting event, if it matches their usual exceptional output.

For anyone that hasn't seen the announcement, it reads as follows:

From Friday 3 April, you can enjoy the complete recording of our performance of Bach’s St Matthew Passion!
              For many people, the performance by the Netherlands Bach Society in the Grote Kerk in Naarden is the musical event of the year.

To get a taste of it, you can already watch the mini-documentary ‘Closer to Bach in Naarden’, directed by Jacobine van Hellemond, which is all about the Netherlands Bach Society’s St Matthew Passion tradition.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

(Extracted the youtube link from their email......)

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisBennell View Post
                Had an email from AllofBach.com today to announce that next Friday's offering will in fact be a complete St Matthews Passion! Should be an exciting event, if it matches their usual exceptional output.

For anyone that hasn't seen the announcement, it reads as follows:

From Friday 3 April, you can enjoy the complete recording of our performance of Bach’s St Matthew Passion!
                For many people, the performance by the Netherlands Bach Society in the Grote Kerk in Naarden is the musical event of the year.

To get a taste of it, you can already watch the mini-documentary ‘Closer to Bach in Naarden’, directed by Jacobine van Hellemond, which is all about the Netherlands Bach Society’s St Matthew Passion tradition.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

(Extracted the youtube link from their email......)
                You beat me to it Chris,should be quite special.

Comment

St Matthew Passion is now on the site.

Comment

Speechless.

This is how to digest the best part of 3 hours of time.

Should be compulsory viewing.

Comment

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                      Speechless.

This is how to digest the best part of 3 hours of time.

Should be compulsory viewing.
                      Agreed! Having to take this in chunks due to the length. But what I've heard so far is superb both in sound and performance.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisBennell View Post
                        Agreed! Having to take this in chunks due to the length. But what I've heard so far is superb both in sound and performance.
                        Same as you,watching in chunks, but absolutely excellent so far.
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

I watched it all last night - I'd been going to watch it in chunks but couldn't turn it off! I'm more used to bigger forces in this work so was wondering if this performance would sound a bit too lean but it didn't at all. Marvellous stuff!

Does anyone have the NBS/Van Veldhoven recording of SMP on CD? I just wondered how it compares with this All of Bach performance.

Comment

Don't have the recording BUT I had a quick look round and you can listen to lots of sample extracts of it on the Presto Classical website - plus there are a few reviews from 2011. (All positive, but this is marketing of course).

See: http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/adv...ll&label=&cat=

Comment

Mass in G Minor BWV 235.

A sort of mini Mass..

Small but perfectly formed from bits of other cantatas

Interesting analysis here http://www.bach.org/bwv235.php

Comment

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                                Mass in G Minor BWV 235.

A sort of mini Mass..

Small but perfectly formed from bits of other cantatas

Interesting analysis here http://www.bach.org/bwv235.php

Comment

Working...
                                X