Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lydia Mordkovitch, violinist, has died.

Just announced on the Gramophone website. A pupil of David Oistrakh and frequent visitor to these shores. She recorded a lot of unusual repertoire for Chandos to some considerable acclaim.

She was a regular with the SNO in the 1980's and made a fine recording of the two DSCH concertos.

RIP.

This is sad news, indeed. I love her recordings of Shostakovich, amongst others.

RIP Lydia Mordkovitch

Comment

Sad news indeed.
      I love her Chandos recordings

RIP Lydia Mordkovitch

Comment

My teacher, who played in the SNO at this time, told me a story about her recording of the Kabelevsky concerto. Jarvi was looking for a fill up for another disc and suggested the Kabelevsky concerto which the orchestra had in its library minus the solo part. My teacher knew he had the solo part at home so popped back at lunchtime to collect it. Mordkovitch had played it as a student but not since. So after an hours practice, the red light went on and that is what's on the discs!

Comment

Oh no,this is so sad,made me feel quite numb.
          A great champion of British violin concertos and chamber music.
          I must have more cds of Lydia than any other violinist.
          Yes Roehre I love those Chandos records too.
          Thank you Lydia for the Alwyn,Bax,Bliss,Dyson,Moeran and so many others

RIP.

Comment

Pastoralguy

What a lovely story..... spontaneity so often produces the best.

Comment

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post

RIP.
              Wholly endorsed by me; a wonderful artist indeed. She had been ill for quite some time, so I understand.

RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post

RIP.
                What shock news! I have a number of her excellent recordings. A very fine artist indeed. She will certanly be missed.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                  What shock news! I have a number of her excellent recordings. A very fine artist indeed. She will certanly be missed.
                  Indeed.
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Just got out her Brahms with Sanderling and the Philharmonia from 1979. Special sadness in those opening bars before her defiant entry. RIP.

Comment

Brief tribute on In Tune. I thought we might hear from Brian Cozens (or someone).

Comment

Sad news - a fine violinist . I do not have many of her recordings but I have always enjoyed those I do have like the Moeran concerto .

Comment

I cherish her recording of the Dyson Violin Concerto.
                          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Only 70 years old. I had imagined that she was not even that old. The only CD I own is an excellent one: Shostakovich Concertos with Neeme Järvi & SNO.

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                              I cherish her recording of the Dyson Violin Concerto.
                              I listened to her performance of that not so long ago; I couldn't help thinking that, for all its occasional virtues, even she was not able to make it into something that it isn't. No one could have done more for it, I think, but its considerable ambitions just seem to me not to be realised in its score.

Comment

Working...
                              X