What South or Central American Composer are you listening to?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What South or Central American Composer are you listening to?

These threads usually thrive, so, since nobody else picked up the South American Gauntlet, ( actually, I quite fancy a pair of South American gaunlets !) I thought I would.

I seem to have a good " hit" rate with South American composers, and they deserve a bit of highlighting, IMHO, so......

Currently:
    Alberto Ginastera
    String quartets 1 and 2.

The Henschel Quartet..
    Fabulous often rhythmically driven music.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
    These threads usually thrive, so, since nobody else picked up the South American Gauntlet, ( actually, I quite fancy a pair of South American gaunlets !) I thought I would.

I seem to have a good " hit" rate with South American composers, and they deserve a bit of highlighting, IMHO, so......

Currently:
    Alberto Ginastera
    String quartets 1 and 2.

The Henschel Quartet..
    Fabulous often rhythmically driven music.
    These Ginasteras were quite recently on R3, 13 and 23 September 2014, see my contribution to "what are you listening to"

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
      These Ginasteras were quite recently on R3, 13 and 23 September 2014, see my contribution to "what are you listening to"
      its such a shame when wise contributions get lost in those big, general " catch all" threads, don't you think ?...
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

its such a shame when wise contributions get lost in those big, general " catch all" threads, don't you think ?...
        I do

Comment

On a trip to Mexico I got to know quite a lot of Latino music. I attended one recital by the Cuarteto Latinoamericano playing Piazzolla, incl. La muerte del Angel (got the CD - sublime music).
          Carlos Chavez (pupil of Ponce) wrote a piano concerto which gets an occasional airing in Europe. Silvestre Revueltas is not entirely unknown and definitely worthwhile exploring. There is a lot of piano music by Manuel Ponce who completed his musical studies in Italy and later Berlin. He was the first to introduce Debussy's piano music to Mexican audiences. His numerous rather melancholic Mazurkas recall Chopin. But he also absorbed the tropical Cuban rhythms, to wit his Rapsodia cubana, Guateque and Suite Cubana. His four and very short Cuatro Danzas Mexicanas reveal modern elements not a million miles from Prokofiev and Bartok. J P Moncayo's Huapango is great fun!
          My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

Interesting thread, ts

The most recent concert of South American music that I attended was in 2013. It was the Brazilian, Camargo Guanieri's symphony #4 (Brasilia).

Played by the São Paulo Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Marin Alsop in London.

Comment

Carlos Chavez - arguably the Diego Rivera of Mexican music

Comment

Stop press...just out...

The Argentinian Album
                Music by Piazzolla (4 Estaciones, arr. Desyatnikov), Ginastera & Golijov (Last Round). Amsterdam Sinfonietta/Candida Thomson. Channel Classics 24/96 Flac. (Or sacd etc.)

Just started listening to the Concerto for String Orchestra OP.33 by Ginastera. And very striking it sounds... reviewed G. 1/2015, in which high praise is also awarded to the new Naxos album of the Villa-Lobos Symphony No.10 (Sao Paulo SO/Karabtchevsky). Haven't bought that though. (Yet...)

(Better not comment on the deep & profound complexities of the Channel Classics downloader. They were so nice when I wrote to them about it, I don't want to be critical.... I mean you can't really blame software designers. They're very bright, they do get bored sometimes, and...no, I really do just refuse to get critical and abusive about it. I think I'll go and try & get it to appear in Audirvana as an actual album again now...I may be some time...)

Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 08-01-15, 06:25.

Comment

We heard a very enjoyable concert at the Barbican a few years ago, having gone on spec. Found the details on their website:

Ginastera - Dances from Estancia
                  Piazzolla - Aconcagua: Concerto for Bandoneon
                  De Falla - Nights in the Gardens of Spain
                  De Falla - The Three-Cornered Hat - Suite No 2

BBC Symphony Orchestra
                  Josep Pons conductor
                  Pablo Mainetti bandoneon
                  Javier Perianes piano

... and the bandoneon cropped up again in the Ute Lemper concert we saw there a few weeks ago, with an explanation of its history.

The only live music we heard during a S. American tour a few years ago was a tango evening in Buenos Aires, I think geared mainly for tourists but very entertaining and well performed.

I don't really know that much S. American music and don't have a lot of CDs but did decide after reading reviews that the BIS 7CD set of Villa-Lobos Choros and Bachianas Brasileiras was one to have - thoroughly recommendable.

Comment

I conducted Huapango (Moncayo) once. I recall it as a wonderful experience, though I suspect that several of the (very good amateur) orchestra remember the difficulty of dealing with hemiolas (3 against 2 - think of 633 squadron).

Comment

Villa-Lobos: String quartets 1-6 - Cuarteto Latinoamericano (6 CD Box - Brilliant Classics)

I heard the Huapango by Moncayo in Jerez de la Frontera (Spain) a few years ago, performed by a visting Mexican dance company. Colourful to say the least!
                      My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

There was a very interesting piece on Saturday Lunchtime Concert on 27 December, but the playlist is such a complete mess that I cannot find out the work’s title. The third item on the playlist should be the work.
                        Vocal quartet La Colombina in a performance of music from 16th-century Spain.

The music was, according to the presenter, a mixture of European polyphony, indigenous Latin American music, and African rhythm. The composer is (I think) Gaspar Fernandes (1566–1629) who went from Portugal to Guatemala.

Ex Cathedra has recorded many works of Latin American Baroque music.

The music sounds great but I can’t help thinking about, well, other things. Still, I suppose most classical music comes under the similar shadow.
                        Last edited by doversoul1; 09-01-15, 22:37.

Comment

Camargo Guarnieri - Symphony #3

Anyone got any views on his symphonies?

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                            Camargo Guarnieri - Symphony #3

Anyone got any views on his symphonies?

don't know them, but I'm a fan of the first 3 piano concertos.

Did you draw that sleeve yourself?

is Sym #3 a recommendation, Beefy?

Comment

don't know them, but I'm a fan of the first 3 piano concertos.

Did you draw that sleeve yourself?

is Sym #3 a recommendation, Beefy?

No I didn't draw the BIS cover myself, I'm not that good!

I don't know the piano concertos.

Yes #3 is definitely a recommendation.

Comment

Working...
                              X