Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kennst du das Land

Mignon's song "Kennst du das Land, wo die Zitronen blühn" from Goethe's Wilhelm Meisters Lehrjahre, is one of my favourite song-texts. Here are the words in the original:

Kennst du das Land, wo die Zitronen blühn,
    Im dunkeln Laub die Gold-Orangen glühn,
    Ein sanfter Wind vom blauen Himmel weht,
    Die Myrte still und hoch der Lorbeer steht,
    Kennst du es wohl? Dahin! Dahin
    Möcht ich mit dir, o mein Geliebter, ziehn.

Kennst du das Haus? Auf Säulen ruht sein Dach,
    Es glänzt der Saal, es schimmert das Gemach,
    Und Marmorbilder stehn und sehn mich an:
    Was hat man dir, du armes Kind, getan?
    Kennst du es wohl? Dahin! Dahin
    Möcht ich mit dir, o mein Beschützer, ziehn.

Kennst du den Berg und seinen Wolkensteg?
    Das Maultier sucht im Nebel seinen Weg,
    In Höhlen wohnt der Drachen alte Brut,
    Es stürzt der Fels und über ihn die Flut;
    Kennst du ihn wohl? Dahin! Dahin
    Geht unser Weg! O Vater, laß uns ziehn!

English translation here (hope it's acceptable to link to this site).

This simple and powerful song, in the book sung by the young Mignon to Wilhelm (twice), has been set to music by more than 60 composers. The best-known versions are those by Beethoven, Schubert, Schumann, Liszt and Wolf (plus perhaps Tchaikovsky's setting of the Russian version of the song by Tyutchev). Goethe, interestingly, hated the Beethoven setting, exclaiming "Mignon would never have sung a song like that!" Perhaps he would have disliked the later settings even more, especially the Hugo Wolf setting, which I find the most expressive of all even though it has moved far from the simplicity of Mignon's lyric. There is an interesting article about the song by Amanda Glauert of the Royal College of Music on the Music Performance Research website, considering some of the settings.

Sometimes I think poets get a bit of a raw deal from composers who set their poems in that the musical setting comes to overshadow the poem, even in the works of famous writers. It's hard to think of Erlkönig stripped of Schubert's music, or Im Wunderschönen Monat Mai as a mere poem. But with Kennst du das Land, I think the poet has the last laugh. No mere musical setting is in the end satisfactory, it returns one to the music of the lyrics themselves, remaining ever fresh for later generations of composers.

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
    It's hard to think of Erlkönig stripped of Schubert's music, or Im Wunderschönen Monat Mai as a mere poem
    Certainly that is true. When I did my German final exams as an undergraduate we were not allowed to take in copies of the texts and had to learn by heart everything we wanted to quote. For the Goethe question I chose an essay title which was something like "Trace Goethe's life through his poetry". I was already a bit of a Lieder freak all those years ago and knew quite a few Schubert Goethe settings by heart. It was a great help to be able to sing some of the songs quietly to myself to get at the text I needed. I can definitely remember doing this with "Kennst du das Land" (yearning for the south) and Ganymed (egocentricity of the romantic poet). It didn't work, of course, with poems no one set, like his later sonnets and more formal poems.

There are many translations of Kennst du das Land, some singable with rhyme. Not sure about "leafage" for "Laub" (foliage) in the one you linked to. Presumably, Mignon would have been singing in Italian.

Erich Kästner wrote a famous parody about the new Germany which was starting to show itself in 1932 "Kennst du das Land wo die Kanonen blühn?" .... Do you know the land where the guns are blooming. If you don't yet, you soon will!

Comment

Love it, aeo. Perhaps most of all in Hugo Wolf's setting. Ernest Newman and later Walter Legge left it out of their Wolf Society project on the basis that it had become 'hackneyed'. How times have changed.

And my favourite recording of it is by Maggie Teyte with Frederick Stone (from the BBC General Overseas Service in 1950). That's not available, it seems on Youtube (yet), so here's the very fine (and lamented) Arleen Auger with Irwin Gage in 1988:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Brilliant post, Aeolium. Thanks.
        Beautiful text.

Don't know any settings, so I thought I'd try youtube.

Barbara Hendricks and Schubert. Couldn't go wrong, I thought.
        But it wasn't what I had heard in my head on reading the text at all !!

Very interesting....to be continued......
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post

Don't know any settings, so I thought I'd try youtube.

Barbara Hendricks and Schubert. Couldn't go wrong, I thought.
          But it wasn't what I had heard in my head on reading the text at all !!

Very interesting....to be continued......
          ts, you could try Arleen Auger singing the Wolf version in the link kindly provided by verismissimo.
          Or the op 98 Schumann version here.

Erich Kästner wrote a famous parody about the new Germany which was starting to show itself in 1932 "Kennst du das Land wo die Kanonen blühn?" .... Do you know the land where the guns are blooming. If you don't yet, you soon will!
          Yes, gurnemanz, I know that poem. Kästner watched his books, including presumably one containing that poem, being burnt in the Opernplatz square in Berlin in 1933. He was a wonderful writer and a man of real courage.

It was interesting that Goethe included a musical setting of Kennst du das Land by Johann Friedrich Reichardt in the first edition of Wilhelm Meister. I can't find any performances of it on youtube though.

Comment

Wonderful piano-playing in the Wolf recording by Irwin Gage.

Comment

Working...
            X