• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Ward Swingle RIP

He was a phenomenon. Just loved those early Bach recordings on EP.
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

indeed and their beautiful work with the MJQ on Place Vendome
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Keraulophone
      • Nov 2010

R.I.P. Ward Swingle, and thanks for all the babadabadabadabadabs.

JSB Fugue in G minor (578): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vonJhz2COck

Comment

• rauschwerk
        • Nov 2010

My most treasured Swingle Singers disc is of English and French partsongs, issued by RCA in 1977. This was WS's first English group (Swinlge II) and some of the performances on this collection are imo unlikely to be surpassed. Catherine Bott's solo in Stanford's The Blue Bird has to be heard to be believed!

This has never reappeared on CD.

Comment

• Gordon
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by rauschwerk View Post
          My most treasured Swingle Singers disc is of English and French partsongs, issued by RCA in 1977. This was WS's first English group (Swinlge II) and some of the performances on this collection are imo unlikely to be surpassed. Catherine Bott's solo in Stanford's The Blue Bird has to be heard to be believed!

Absolutely RW!! That Blue Bird is amazing. And the Full Fathom Five adaptation is also quite arresting. I agree about the CD issue, I have looked for one for a while but do have a dub of the LP and if you listen on headphones the close mic'ing technique opens up inside your head.

Comment

• Padraig
            • Feb 2013

Another fan here. I updated my Jazz Sebastian Bach LP to CD. At the same time I acquired Nothing but Blue Skies -The Irving Berlin Songbook, but for me, nothing beats the original.

Comment

• Flay
              • Mar 2007

Their William Tell overture was a chuckle.

And it reminded me of this!

Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by rauschwerk View Post

That's a great favourite of mine as well, especially the RVW Shakespeare Songs. There's a special magic in the way they sing that beautiful passage from The Tempest
                " A sea change into something rich and strange " with the very close sonority that haunts the mind. Like you, I'm baffled that it has never appeared on CD.

Comment

• Gordon
                  • Nov 2010

An interesting performance of this classic choral song. Sorry about the cracks etc - it's taken from a rather well used LP!

for those who have not heard Stanford's Blue Bird by Swingles 2. Magic.

Comment

• ostuni
                    • Nov 2010

Fabulous - many thanks for posting. John Potter, another member of Swingle II, put a nice post on his blog yesterday, with some lovely memories of those heady mid-70s days: http://www.john-potter.co.uk/blog/20.../ward-swingle/

Comment

• rauschwerk
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                      There's a special magic in the way they sing that beautiful passage from The Tempest
                      " A sea change into something rich and strange " with the very close sonority that haunts the mind.
                      Those are 11 note chords, which could only have been achieved by overdubbing!

Comment

Working...
                      X