X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

Fanfare Magazine Editorial: No CDs For Reviewers

The American Clasical Music Magazine Fanfare, published bimonthly (around 600 pages/tome), carries an Editorial from it's Editor in the current issue. He usually only contributes when he feels there is something of major import.
    It seems that Naxos of America, which is not identical to the Naxos Record Label, but a distribution group for more than 50% of Classical Music Labels available in the US, will now only supply 1 CD of each new release for reviewers. If more than 1 Reviewer is used, the others will have to listen to downloads. There are several comments from Reviewers on this. In general, they seem to conflate this with the demise of the CD.
    The magazine has submitted at least half ofthe recordings to more than 1 reviewer over the past few years, sometimes as many as 5. It is interesting to read the divergent opinions amongst the reviewers, all of whom seem to be writing independently of what their colleagues write.
    Yet since the magazine has stayed at the same book length over the past several years, it has made me wonder if there are much less recordings being made.
    The fact that Naxos stil supplies at least 1 CD to the magazine to me indicates that the CD is going nowhere towards extinction. Perhaps they expect the Editor will burn a few copies to send to other reviewers, which is probably illegal here but extremely prevalent. Some of the reviewers are complaining that they will have to buy new equipment to listen to downloads and now become conversant with Computer Audio.
  • Old Grumpy
    • Jan 2011

Seems reasonable to me to send one copy to one magazine.

Some of the reviewers are complaining that they will have to buy new equipment to listen to downloads and now become conversant with Computer Audio.
    Likely story!- do they send in their reviews in manuscript form, written on parchment?

OG

Comment

• pastoralguy
      • Nov 2010

Didn't Gramophone have a brief period of putting two independent reviews of the same recording side by side? I seem to remember that they could be inconsistent in their opinions!

Comment

• Ferretfancy
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
        Didn't Gramophone have a brief period of putting two independent reviews of the same recording side by side? I seem to remember that they could be inconsistent in their opinions!
        That happens frequently in Fanfare, and can be quite useful, especially as their reviewers seem to write at any length they wish. I recently let my subscription lapse, but Fanfare keeps crashing through the letter box. You almost need a fork lift truck to handle it.

Comment

• richardfinegold
          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
          That happens frequently in Fanfare, and can be quite useful, especially as their reviewers seem to write at any length they wish. I recently let my subscription lapse, but Fanfare keeps crashing through the letter box. You almost need a fork lift truck to handle it.
          The multiple reviewer per disc policy is probably a plus, although some times I find it very frustrating, or perhaps amusing, when two (or more) reviewers differ completely, and on everything, from tempos, quality of playing, and sound quality. And yes, some of the reviewers definitely suffer logorrhea, and make me yearn for the Twitter sized reviews of a publication such as BBC Music. Other reviewers, otoh, are so fascinating, and such great educators, that I wish they had written more.
          And yes, you don't want to drop a copy of Fanfare on your foot if you are suffering an acute attack of gout.

Comment

• VodkaDilc

I allowed my subscription to lapse recently. There was simply too much to read - and a huge number of dullish pages before reaching the reviews. The reviews themselves were variable; too many were by one female reviewer with some very eccentric opinions.

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
              I allowed my subscription to lapse recently. There was simply too much to read - and a huge number of dullish pages before reaching the reviews. The reviews themselves were variable; too many were by one female reviewer with some very eccentric opinions.
              Strangely, I worked through about half the reviews in the current issue without seeing her dreaded name. Could it be true? Had she been given the boot? Oh joy!

But no, there they were later on. It must have been coincidence, though I still have the impression there were fewer than previously, and there seem to be some new names appearing.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                Strangely, I worked through about half the reviews in the current issue without seeing her dreaded name. Could it be true? Had she been given the boot? Oh joy!

But no, there they were later on. It must have been coincidence, though I still have the impression there were fewer than previously, and there seem to be some new names appearing.
                That would be Lynn Rene Bailey. She is a hoot.
                They do seem to have added several reviewers for the last couple of issues, a welcome development. At one point have of the reviews were being given to Bailey and the equally objectionable Jerry Dubins, and the Editor explained that these two reviewers were retired and had more time on their hands.
                The 250 pages of interviews prior to the reviews are largely a waste, although occassioanlly there are some fascinating tidbits to be found there.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                  • Nov 2010

When I first started to read Fanfare, I used to find the vitriol on the letters page quite entertaining. Reviewers and readers went against each other hammer and tongs, but recently the tone has become more moderate and less interesting.
                  All those interviews with mostly unknown performers and composers are really tedious, though they are presumably better known there than here.

If recordings in future are only going to be available online, I shall be perfectly happy just enjoying my existing collection. As things are, if I'm browsing second hand in places like Gramex, I find to my cost that I occasionally end up buying a CD that is on my shelves already! Things have to stop somewhere.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                    When I first started to read Fanfare, I used to find the vitriol on the letters page quite entertaining. Reviewers and readers went against each other hammer and tongs, but recently the tone has become more moderate and less interesting.
                    All those interviews with mostly unknown performers and composers are really tedious, though they are presumably better known there than here.

If recordings in future are only going to be available online, I shall be perfectly happy just enjoying my existing collection. As things are, if I'm browsing second hand in places like Gramex, I find to my cost that I occasionally end up buying a CD that is on my shelves already! Things have to stop somewhere.
                    yes, I had contributed a few potboilers myself to the Letters Section. After a few were published and a few tempests resulted the Editor began forwarding the letters to the Reviewers so the vitriol became a private email thing, much less fun.
                    If you think about it, this forum is very similar. Unpleasant postings are deleted by moderators, the bomb throwers tend to be ostracizied, and peace and harmony is the norm. Not a bad thing, if perhaps less stimulating.

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                      yes, I had contributed a few potboilers myself to the Letters Section. After a few were published and a few tempests resulted the Editor began forwarding the letters to the Reviewers so the vitriol became a private email thing, much less fun.
                      If you think about it, this forum is very similar. Unpleasant postings are deleted by moderators, the bomb throwers tend to be ostracizied, and peace and harmony is the norm. Not a bad thing, if perhaps less stimulating.
                      The only time I wrote to Fanfare (complaining about reviewers not knowing enough about the existence of famous previous recordings of works they were writing about) my letter was published and drew a few brittle responses from the gentlemen in question.

The interesting outcome was that Joel Flegler invited me to review for the magazine, whether because of shortage of contributors or the quality of my invective I never knew. I declined, although the going rate was something like $2 a review and maybe the CD to keep.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                        The only time I wrote to Fanfare (complaining about reviewers not knowing enough about the existence of famous previous recordings of works they were writing about) my letter was published and drew a few brittle responses from the gentlemen in question.

The interesting outcome was that Joel Flegler invited me to review for the magazine, whether because of shortage of contributors or the quality of my invective I never knew. I declined, although the going rate was something like $2 a review and maybe the CD to keep.
                        Not a retirement plan, surely.

Comment

• VodkaDilc

I once dashed off an email to the editor of Fanfare, correcting a factual error about a well-known British singer. I recieved no reply and forgot about it. To my surprise, it appeared as a letter in the next issue.

There are very occasional items of interest in the numerous interviews in the early part of the magazine. I recall an interview with John Scott, which was of far greater length and interest than any coverage he might have received in any other magazine. Otherwise the welter of minor musicians given the star treatment can be overwhelming.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                            • Sep 2012

I once dashed off an email to the editor of Fanfare, correcting a factual error about a well-known British singer. I recieved no reply and forgot about it. To my surprise, it appeared as a letter in the next issue.

There are very occasional items of interest in the numerous interviews in the early part of the magazine. I recall an interview with John Scott, which was of far greater length and interest than any coverage he might have received in any other magazine. Otherwise the welter of minor musicians given the star treatment can be overwhelming.
                            Yes, the many articles that run to 300 pages--largely interviews--with largely unknown Musicians can be tedious. I skip most of them. There are some gems occassionally and if out of boredom I read one that I otherwise might have skipped I generaly find it interesting.
                            There is an article with James Ginsberg in the curent issue that I want to read. He is the President and CEO of Chicago based Cedille Label and I have met him at Concerts of one of their Artists, Chicago Acapaella. His mother is a U.S. Supreme Court Justice. He had a fascinating anecdote in a previous interview. Apparently James sends his mother 9 copies of each new Cedille Release (there are 9 Justices On the Court). She gives one to each Justice, who then submits a Legal style brief critiquing the CD.
                            Caliban, are you reading this?

Comment

• LHC
                              • Jan 2011

A few years ago Norman Lebrecht got hold of a letter from the Fanfare Editor to a record label that offered to publish an interview with the artist and a favourable review of their recording if the label agreed to purchase a full page advert at considerable expense. I suspect that the interview pages (particularly of otherwise obscure artists on obscure labels) are the result of such deals. When I used to read Fanfare, I treated the interview section as little more than 'advertorials' and only read the proper reviews.
                              "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                              Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

Working...
                              X