X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sebastian Fagerlund: Partita. Clever but not very original.

Comment

Jerome Kern Treasury (McGlinn/London Sinfonietta)

Comment

Today:

Clarke:
        Poem for String Quartet(1926) (R3: Lunchtime)

Huygens:
        Pathodia sacra et profana (1647)

Verrijt:
        Flammae divinae opus 5 (1649)

Sweelinck:
        Psalm 42 (p.1604)
        Mein junges Leben hat ein End

Escher:
        Musique pour l’Esprit en Deuil
        (1943)

Comment

The discussion of the Weinberg opera made me get out the Naxos disc of the violin concertos of Vainberg [sic] and Myaskovsky. I liked the Weinberg (1960) which I thought matched the idiom of Shostakovich. The Myaskovsky (1938) is still in the lush, romantic, lyrical style. Sort of nice in the lush, romantic, lyrical way, but perhaps not quite as interesting.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Today:

Alpaerts:
            Zomer-idylle (1928) (R3: TtN)

Mahler:
            Symphony no.10: Adagio

Peter Eötvös:
            Zero Points
            Psychokosmos
            Levitation
            IMA
            (last Saturday’s R3: H&N, thanks Bryn )

For some reason Eötvös‘ IMA inspired me to return to:
            Sweelinck:
            Psalms 150, 33, 53, 148 and 98
            Te Deum laudamus
            Ab Oriente
            Oraison orientale
            De Profundis
            Caude et laetare
            Ecce Prandium

Comment

Rossini's little String Sonata no 1 in G, written when he was in his teens. Are the other 5 Sonatas as attractive as this one?

Comment

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                Rossini's little String Sonata no 1 in G, written when he was in his teens. Are the other 5 Sonatas as attractive as this one?
                Yes, they are, Salymap. You can hear them as String pieces or in Rossini's own arrangement for wind quartet - Flute, Clarinet, Bassoon and Horn.

Last night I listened to Piano concertos by J. C. Bach.**
                Played by the Hanover Band and directed from the fortepiano by Anthony Halstead (better known to wind players as one of the most accomplished horn players of his generation).

What a remarkable musician!

** Op. 13 Nos 1 to 6 and No 14

Good morning everybody,
                VH
                Last edited by Guest; 19-05-11, 07:38. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                  The Academy of St.Martin-in-the-Fields/Neville marriner made a recording of all of them in the 1970s, then released on an Argo 2LP-set [combined with IIRC a Donizetti string quartet] Should be available on one CD.

Delicious works they are, these Rossini sonatas à 4, all of them written in the summer of 1804 (he was 12 by then!) as he was on holiday and staying at family's of his of which 4 were playing string instruments. Btw, the original bass-line of these sonatas is not for 'cello, but for double bass

Comment

Thanks Roehre, I must look out for it. I've had a tape of no 1 for ages, the others never seem to make it on TTN.

Comment

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                      The Asrael is a closed book to me and this is my first real attempt at getting into it. First impressions: vivid performance and recording, but I still have doubts about the work as a whole. 5 movements and an hour plus of naked misery are a difficult trick to bring off: the soul - well, mine anyway - does need a bit of (strong) contrast somewhere along the road!

Clearly I need to give it a few more spins before setting this judgment into stone...
                      I think it's easier not to bother. Sorry to say this, but I had another go myself after reading this.

Comment

..the Finzi Cello Concerto on this morning ... not heard too many versions but love the piece; i have Yo Yo Ma and the RPO and Tim Hugh and Northern SInfonia ... listening to Ma now
                        According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                          The Academy of St.Martin-in-the-Fields/Neville marriner made a recording of all of them in the 1970s, then released on an Argo 2LP-set [combined with IIRC a Donizetti string quartet] Should be available on one CD.

Delicious works they are, these Rossini sonatas à 4, all of them written in the summer of 1804 (he was 12 by then!) as he was on holiday and staying at family's of his of which 4 were playing string instruments. Btw, the original bass-line of these sonatas is not for 'cello, but for double bass
                          A section of the Double Bass part from the 3rd Sonata was one of my old Grade VI Double Bass examination pieces. Basically fun with C major scales!

Comment

Been listening today to a selction of cds from that marvelous box of hasrmonia Mundi's Annoiversary year, this one called 'Sacred Music'. the cds I have had on are the 'La Petit et Grande Motets, The Birth of Polyphony and a cd of settings of the Stabat Mater.
                            Don’t cry for me
                            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Florent Schmitt: Psaume 47 (HDTT download of Martinon's classic 1972 recording)

Comment

Today:

Two centuries of Psalms:
                                33 and 130 Sweelinck
                                69 Zwingli
                                46 Walter
                                125 Greiter
                                12, 26 and 40 Clemens non Papa
                                107 de Monte
                                140 Claude le Jeune
                                47 Vallet
                                121 Butler