This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBM,
    thanks. You know that sometimes my listening is inspired by something external, like the weather , the day or date (for the Bach cantatas e.g.) or just a change of season (and winter still has to come according to the calender at least )

Comment

Originally posted by Karafan View Post
      Boult in his Pye Nixa Westminster recording of Schumann's Sym No 1 - splendid sound and rubato aplenty!

K.
      Didn't realise the second volume was out yet. Many thanks - just ordered it!

Comment

Been listening to various brass band cds of late. Very entertaining. Amazing the variety of styles we play!!
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Another of my seasonal favourites, an disc of Christmas Preludes. Beautifully played and recorded.

Last edited by Guest; 27-11-10, 14:12.

Comment

Mahlerie!! Tsk tsk!! The day before Advent and playing Christmas music!!
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

BBM

Trying to get into the festive mood, which seems to get harder every year

On a different tack, have installed Ubuntu Linux on the PC as Windoze is, well, Windozing, and I'm pleasantly surprised at how quick and easy it is to get round.
              Last edited by Guest; 27-11-10, 19:48.

Comment

Stravinsky arr. Stucky: Les Noces
                Radio Filharmonisch Orkest - Groot Omroepkoor - John Adams [dirigent] - James Wood [koordirigent]Zvetelina Vassileva [sopraan] - Elizabeth Sikora [mezzosopra...

Comment

I'm listening tothe beautiful performance of the Praetorius Mass with the Gabrieli Consort and players, conducted by Paul McCreesh.

Comment

Quote from salymap "I'm listening tothe beautiful performance of the Praetorius Mass with the Gabrieli Consort and players, conducted by Paul McCreesh."

I love their Praetorius recording! Probably my favourite disc as Christmas approaches.

(Sorry - haven't got the hang of using quotes on here yet. Thank goodness for the edit button!)

Comment

Wellesz - Symphony No 2.

Really enjoyable stuff and it contains some drop dead gorgeous music.

Comment

Originally posted by johnb View Post
                        Wellesz - Symphony No 2.

Really enjoyable stuff and it contains some drop dead gorgeous music.
                        Sounds interesting. Can you elaborate (recording etc)?

Comment

The recording on the CPO label with Gottfried Rabi conducting the Radio Symphonieorchester Wien:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wellesz-Symp...0884779&sr=1-6

I've just started exploring his music and this was written when, it appears, he was going through a Bruckerian period (in terms of structures and compositional techniques). However, that probably isn't a very helpful remark to make as the music doesn't sound Brucknerian (at least not to me). Well, you wouldn't expect it too, as it was written in 1947/8.

Some of the lyrical sections are gorgeously beautiful.

Comment

Today:

Stravinsky:
                            Concerto for two pianos (1931/35)

Kagel:
                            Heterophonie (1959/’61)
                            Variationen ohne Fuge (1972)

Wagemans:
                            Rosebud (1991)
                            Viderunt omnes (1988)

Bridge:
                            Phantasm for piano and orchestra (1931)

Vieru:
                            Taragot (1991)

Comment

I've just listened to Wellesz Symphony No 9 (his last), written 1970/71 when he must have been around 96!

What a difference!

The 2nd Symphony, though written in 1947/8, looks back to romantic music of the turn of the century whereas the 9th seems to have its feet firmly placed in the C20 Expressionism of Schoenberg's Five Orchestra Pieces, etc, etc. I find it both beautiful and riveting.

(Someone will probably slap me down for talking nonesense.)

Comment

johnb

Many thanks. Will add that disc to my wishlist.
                                Last edited by Guest; 27-11-10, 23:35.

Comment

Working...
                                X