This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beef Oven

Havergal Brian Symphony #3 BBC Symphony Orchestra, Lionel Friend. Not sure where I got the idea from to play this.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Stranglers, Rattus Norvegicus - first saw these guys in 1976!

Last edited by Guest; 01-03-12, 16:57.

Comment

• BBMmk2
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

Debussy: Music for King Lear: 11 Fanfare d'ouverture; 2 Le Sommeil de Roi Lear; Jeux; Images. CBSO/Rattle.

Mahler: Symphony No.6, "Tragic". Berliner Philharmoniker, Claudio Abbado.

Shostakovich: Festival Overture, Op.96; Symphony No.10 in E minor, Op.93. LPO, Andrew Litton.
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• DublinJimbo
          • Nov 2011

Mendelssohn: String Quartets op. 44
          Pacifica Quartet

Comment

• salymap
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

John Ireland piano concerto, Eric Parkin soloist, LPO conducted by Brydon Thomson, on R3 earlier
            Last edited by salymap; 01-03-12, 13:11.

Comment

• Beef Oven

David Bowie - Low, RCA, 1977.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Peter Grimes, Pears, Brannigan et al, Decca.

Comment

• Petrushka
                  • Nov 2010

Delius: Piano Concerto
                  Curzon/BBCSO/Pritchard

Holst: The Planets
                  LPO/Jurowski
                  "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                    • Nov 2010

Symphonic journey listening the last few evenings:

1855 (concluding)
                    Smetana: Symphony in E 'Festive'
                    Eduard Franck: Symphony in B flat major
                    Gounod: Symphony No 2 in E flat
                    Liszt: Dante Symphony
                    Saint-Saens: Symphony in F 'Urbs Romana'
                    Gade: Symphony No 6 in G minor
                    Liszt: Faust Symphony
                    Spohr: Symphony No 10 in E flat
                    Bristow: Symphony in F sharp minor
                    L Norman: Symphony No 1 in F major

Another interesting collection. The Smetana has suffered from its use of the 'Emperor's Hymn' in 3 of the 4 movements. Rather uninspired in places in nevertheless shows glimpses of the mature composer, most especially in the delightful Scherzo which is sometimes heard.
                    I don't expect many MB's have come across the music of the German composer Eduard Franck. The B flat is a nicely written work nothing special and very much of its time with Mendelssohnian touches. Gounod's 2nd Symphony is sometimes overshadowed by his 1st which is better known, but I find the 2nd just as delightful, especially the finale.
                    The two Liszt Symphonies are of course fairly well known. Of the two I much prefer the Faust Symphony, which is a superbly written work and a work I must get a score of soon. The Dante Symphony doesn't for me hang together as well and I find it occasionally rather rhetorical, but this is purely my opinion.
                    Saint-Saens' F Major Symphony is I find a rather dull piece, certainly far less interesting than his earlier A major and E flat symphonies. The Gade 6th is a typical work from this composer, but perhaps not the equal of his earlier symphonies, the scherzo stays in the memory but the other movements lack distinctive ideas at least compared with the earlier symphonies.
                    Spohr's final symphony caused the composer some doubts and he didn't publish it. It is a rather subdued work and not totally convincing except for the strangely sombre yet moving siciliana like slow movement.
                    George Bristow is an American composer and his F sharp minor symphony, has plenty going for it, rather Mendelssohnian at times also sometimes the influence of Schumann is noticeable, there are one or two moments that don't quite sound like other composers of the time.
                    The Swede Ludvig Norman occasionally has his chamber music featured on TTN. His 1st symphony should be broadcast as well. It is an occasionally slightly quirky work, that certainly has moments of individuality. Like Gade and Berwald there is something oddly Scandinavian about his music and like Berwald he scores slightly unconventionally at times particularly for woodwind and brass.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
                      Symphonic journey listening the last few evenings:

1855 (concluding)
                      Smetana: Symphony in E 'Festive'
                      Eduard Franck: Symphony in B flat major
                      Gounod: Symphony No 2 in E flat
                      Liszt: Dante Symphony
                      Saint-Saens: Symphony in F 'Urbs Romana'
                      Gade: Symphony No 6 in G minor
                      Liszt: Faust Symphony
                      Spohr: Symphony No 10 in E flat
                      Bristow: Symphony in F sharp minor
                      L Norman: Symphony No 1 in F major

Another interesting collection. The Smetana has suffered from its use of the 'Emperor's Hymn' in 3 of the 4 movements. Rather uninspired in places in nevertheless shows glimpses of the mature composer, most especially in the delightful Scherzo which is sometimes heard.
                      I don't expect many MB's have come across the music of the German composer Eduard Franck. The B flat is a nicely written work nothing special and very much of its time with Mendelssohnian touches. Gounod's 2nd Symphony is sometimes overshadowed by his 1st which is better known, but I find the 2nd just as delightful, especially the finale.
                      The two Liszt Symphonies are of course fairly well known. Of the two I much prefer the Faust Symphony, which is a superbly written work and a work I must get a score of soon. The Dante Symphony doesn't for me hang together as well and I find it occasionally rather rhetorical, but this is purely my opinion.
                      Saint-Saens' F Major Symphony is I find a rather dull piece, certainly far less interesting than his earlier A major and E flat symphonies. The Gade 6th is a typical work from this composer, but perhaps not the equal of his earlier symphonies, the scherzo stays in the memory but the other movements lack distinctive ideas at least compared with the earlier symphonies.
                      Spohr's final symphony caused the composer some doubts and he didn't publish it. It is a rather subdued work and not totally convincing except for the strangely sombre yet moving siciliana like slow movement.
                      George Bristow is an American composer and his F sharp minor symphony, has plenty going for it, rather Mendelssohnian at times also sometimes the influence of Schumann is noticeable, there are one or two moments that don't quite sound like other composers of the time.
                      The Swede Ludvig Norman occasionally has his chamber music featured on TTN. His 1st symphony should be broadcast as well. It is an occasionally slightly quirky work, that certainly has moments of individuality. Like Gade and Berwald there is something oddly Scandinavian about his music and like Berwald he scores slightly unconventionally at times particularly for woodwind and brass.
                      Many thanks Suffolkcoastal for another interesting post.

Comment

• Roehre

I don't expect many MB's have come across the music of the German composer Eduard Franck.
                        I guess you like understatements

Saint-Saens' F Major Symphony is I find a rather dull piece, certainly far less interesting than his earlier A major and E flat symphonies.
                        I wonder whether Saint Saens was awar of this difference. I hardly can imagine another reason why he hasn't published the work himself and gave it an opus number.

To be honest, I prefer this work of Bristow's to the Chadwick symphonies, of which one (iirc the second) is said to be the "best symphony Beethoven never wrote"

Whatever, thank you very much again for your posting, SC: very valuable and very much appreciated

Comment

• Roehre

Today (It’s St.David’s Day ):

Mathias:
                          Festival Te Deum op.28 (1964)

Hughes:
                          Dewi Sant (1951)

Grace Williams:
                          Fantasia on Welsh Nursery Tunes (1940)

Puw:
                          ..onyt agoraf y drws.. (2007)

German:
                          Welsh Rhapsody (1904)

Comment

• DublinJimbo
                            • Nov 2011

I don't expect many MB's have come across the music of the German composer Eduard Franck. The B flat is a nicely written work nothing special and very much of its time with Mendelssohnian touches.
                            I'm more familiar with his chamber music (including an especially good Piano Quintet), but do have recordings of two symphonies (B flat and A major) and two violin concertos. Your mention prompted me to turn to the A major symphony, which I'm now listening to.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                              • Nov 2010

I shall reach the E Franck A Major symphony in a few days, I think it dates from 1862, from what I remember of it the 1st time I heard it, it is the more attractive of the two symphonies, I'm glad my mention encouraged you to listen to it. I believe I've heard the Piano Quintet, it was available as a download.

I don't find the Chadwick symphonies too bad, the 3rd is the better of the two that have been recorded, but the real gem among 19th century American symphonies is John Knowles Paine's 1st Symphony which stands up well against many better known symphonies of the period IMO. The choice of composers to publish or not publish some of their works is sometimes a wise decision sometimes not. But in the Saint-Saens F major case definitely the right one, still from a historical and developmental point of view it is valuable to have a chance to hear these works. In the case of the earlier A major symphony I suspect he wasn't inclined to have what he considered juvenalia published, even though it is a delightful and refreshing work.

Comment

• salymap
                                Late member
                                • Nov 2010

Sibelius symphony no 1, Mark Elder and the Halle. Complete on Essential Classics today

Comment

Working...
                                X