X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On R3 now BBCSSO and Runnicles playing Bruckner symphony no 7. My favourite Bruckner atm

Comment

I feel the urge to play Beethoven 8 - with BPO/Karajan 1962

Comment

The Bruch is a lovely piece,maybe it doesn't reach the heights of the Mendelssohn,but it's an ideal late evening listen.

Comment

Honegger Symphony No.4; Symphony No.5
          (OSR/Luisi Cascavelle CD)

Returning to these after the Honegger thread, I'm more impressed than ever. The 4th's first movement has never been better done, so dreamily atmospheric and lyrical in its reflective meanderings. Just lovely. Sorry, but a spot-check with Dutoit left the latter sounding very routine...

...plus splendid R3 concerts via 5-star HDs this week - and more to come...

Comment

Beethoven:
            Symphony No.2 ‘Eroica’
            Coriolan overture
            Berliner Philharmoniker/Karl Bohm
            Recorded 1962 & 1959 Jesus Christ Church, Berlin/Dahlem
            On ‘The Originals’ Deutsche Grammophon

Verdi per due - Angela Gheorghiu & Roberta Alagna
            Berliner Philharmoniker/Claudio Abbado
            On EMI Classics
            I find this a wonderfully expressive blending of two superb voices. Verdi is the great master of opera and his music gets me every time.

Schubert:
            Schubert: Mass in E flat major for soloists, chorus & orchestra, D950
            Mozart:
            Vesperae solennes de confessore, K339
            Soloists, Chor der Sächsischen Staatsoper Dresden;
            Staatskapelle Dresden conducted by Sir Charles Mackerras
            Recorded: 2008 at Frauenkirche, Dresden
            On Carus
            A simply glorious performance under Sir Charles Mackerras that I can't stop playing. Beautifully played and recorded in the magnificent setting of the recently restored Dresden Frauenkirche.

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
              ...plus splendid R3 concerts via 5-star HDs this week - and more to come...
              Indeed. The cream, for me, has been:

Vaughan Williams: Symphony No 3 - BBC SSO Andrew Manze in a well-played and powerful performance.

Bruckner: Symphony No 7 - BBC SSO Runnicles - the co-production with Hyperion for release shortly.

Friedrich Gulda: Cello Concerto - Tuesday's concert from the QEH with the BBC Concert Orchestra - well worth catching if you haven't already. The last movement's a hoot!

Comment

picked up a little charity shop bargain today.

Hindemith
                Pitsburg (as per the sleeve) Symphony Suddeutsche PhilharmonieC/W Noblissime Visione osterreicheisches Rundfukorchester.
                Both conducted by Swarowsky.
                On the Classic Adventure Label.
                Anyone like to comment on this or shed light?!
                Enjoyed it on first play .
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

This CD which contains items new to me, purchased in Poundland - yes for £1!

It is not the typical fare of Leoncavallo, Mascagni, or Puccini that make this disc special. Like other NAXOS releases, the producers always seem to include in their compilations something new, obscure, or enlightening. Take the German composer of Italian ancestry, Eugen d'Albert. The selections from what remains of his 1903 "Tiefland" are worth the price of this CD alone. The prelude followed by the intermezzi engulfs us in an orchestral bloom that just had to influence the great film composers of the Golden Era. Though we're all familiar with Wolf-Ferrari's "Susanna's Secret" the less known selections from "The Jewels of the Madonna" takes us on a mischief, playful romp before the program turns more tragic with "Manon". Two Mascagni rarities are included from the comedy "L'amico Fritz" and "Guglielmo Ratcliff" a story of passion and mass murder. The latter taking on a somber note. The early Puccini "Edgar"(1889) Prelude to act III starts off as funeral procession and concludes in an ecstatic revelation. His "Le Villi" based on the same subject of Adam's 'Giselle" features the playful to tragic consequences from the ghosts of girls to their abandoned lovers. The entire program is nicely balanced and is one of NAXOS's better recorded. Highly recommended!

Comment

More from the journey through my symphonic collection:

Arnell: Symphony No 1
                    Blomdahl: Symphony No 1
                    Vladimir Bunin: Symphony No 1 in E minor
                    Finney: Symphony No 1 ‘Communique’
                    L Gruenberg: Symphony No 2
                    Hanson: Symphony No 4 ‘Requiem’
                    Koppel: Symphony No 2
                    Martinu: Symphony No 2
                    Miaskovsky: Symphony No 24 in F minor ‘In Memory of Vladimir Derzhanovsky’
                    Piston: Symphony No 2
                    Popov: Symphony No 2 ‘Motherland’
                    Rathaus: Symphony No 3
                    W Schuman: Symphony No 5 ‘Symphony for Strings’
                    Shostakovich: Symphony No 8 in C minor
                    Tubin: Symphony No 4 ‘Sinfonia Lyrica’ (revised 1978 version)
                    Vaughan Williams: Symphony No 5 in D

Arnell’s 1st Symphony is an assured and very classically proportioned work. The 1st movement has a certain poise and sophistication and the form is confidentally handled. The slow 2nd movement however is rather dry and the material is to be honest rather dull. The scherzo is quite entertaining but I feel is a little short. The finale is also quite bright and makes a satisfactory but conventional conclusion.
                    Blomdahl is a Swedish composer, and his 1st Symphony is an impressive score. Blomdahl was to become one of Sweden’s most adventurous composers, this Symphony though is still very recognisably Nordic in feeling. The 1st movement is dark and unsettling. The central movement continues with sombre tone though it makes a strong impact and the energetic finale makes for an effective conclusion.
                    Vladimir Bunin’s 1st Symphony is 1 three movement work of around 40 minutes duration. The first two movements are rather sombre and static and there’s not really enough effective contrast, though there is plenty of atmosphere. The finale is a rather typically cinematic Soviet movement.
                    Ross Lee Finney’s 1st Symphony is a curious short work, not symphonic, more like the background music to a newsreel or documentary of the period. Generally the music is recognisably American but curiously understated.
                    Louis Gruenberg’s 2nd Symphony is a rather typical American work of the period, but one that lacks any distinctive stylistic features or an language of any individuality, even though it is pleasant enough to listen to.
                    The 4th is one of Hanson’s best works, written in memory of his father. Each movement has a subtitle taken from the Requiem Mass. Hanson’s lyrical and often extremely beautiful musical language here reaches its apogee in a finely crafting and very moving symphony.
                    Koppel’s 2nd Symphony comes 13 years after its predecessor. As with the 1st Symphony Koppel was highly dissatisfied with the work and didn’t acknowledge it. It is however by no means negligible. About 30 minutes long and in 3 movements, it is the first of Koppel’s three war-time symphonies, written when Denmark had been under German occupation for 3 years. The 1st movement maintains an underlying tension, but is arguably too long for its material. The central slow movement is often dreamlike and nostalgic, and is the finest movement, whilst the finale has more militaristic episodes but doesn’t quite hold together.
                    Martinu’s 2nd Symphony is a much more relaxed work than his 1st. The slow movement though has a feeling of a wistful, dreamlike sadness and longing which his most appealing. The energetic scherzo has a somewhat strident edge to it and the finale is a rhythmically exhilarating movement, that brings this highly enjoyable work to a joyful conclusion. Martinu’s highly individual sound world is delightfully present through, with his distinctive use of the piano in the orchestral texture.
                    The 24th Symphony of Miaskovsky was composed in memory of his friend, the musicologist Vladimir Derzhanovsky. It is in 3 movements and is among Miaskovsky’s finest symphonies. The movement have a real symphonic sweep to them which is maintained and holds the listeners attention throughout. The slow central movement is among Miaskovsky’s most moving, with genuine sadness and nobility. The finale like the 1st movement has plenty of drama before is unexpectedly concludes quietly and serenely in F major. A symphony that commemorates both a friend and those killed in the war and well worth investigating.
                    Walter Piston’s 2nd Symphony is amongst the finest of the American war times symphonies, extremely satisfying and moving. The 1st movement contrasts a slightly melancholic idea with a brighter slightly jazzy one, a challenge that Piston confidentally solves, the movement ends in a haunting and elegiac coda. The slow central movement is exceptionally beautiful, elegiac in tone it contains one of Piston’s finest melodic inspirations. The finale is full of nervous energy that drive this excellent symphony to a defiant conclusion.
                    Gavril Popov’s 2nd Symphony has its origin in a film score that the composer completed prior to working on this score. The sombre and dark-hued 1st movement is very striking and scored for strings alone. The bright Petrushka like scherzo has an air of wistful nostalgia about it. The 3rd movement is dominated by the strings and is the longest movement, built in arch form. The finale is full of nervous energy which is only partly offset by the affirmative coda. Not the equal of the exceptionally striking 1st Symphony but still a work of interest.
                    The Polish born Karol Rathaus’s 3rd Symphony was written 20 years after its predecessor, after teh composer had fled to the US. The symphony lacks the striking individuality of its predecessor, but it is still a work of merit inspite of its relative conventionality. The 1st and 3rd movements make the most impact.
                    William Schuman’s 5th Symphony is scored for strings alone and is amongst its composer’s best works. The outer movements are full of energy and drive that are impressively maintained. The central slow movement is elegiac and has a coda of haunting beauty. Schuman’s individual style is instantly recognisable throughout.
                    Shostakovich’s 8th Symphony needs little comment from me, as it is I would imagine very familiar to most MBs. I’ve always found it among this composer’s most moving and haunting works. Striking in the impact of its message on the tragedy that is war. The finale is curious, lighter in texture and seems to be heading for an affirmative and uplifting conclusion, when its sidesteps this in a strangely slightly wistful and cool coda, as if one had woken from a dream on a grey still morning. A fascinating score.
                    Eduard Tubin’s 4th Symphony is among my favourite symphonies. Quite simply it is a gloriously lyrical and memorable symphony, highly approachable and distinctive with a sound world unlike any other composer. I first heard this on R3 one afternoon about 20 or so years ago and was completely spellbound by it (those were the days when one could just switch on R3 and hear a work like this for the 1st time). The 4 movements compliment each other and are distinctly orchestrated, the ideas stay with one long after listening. I cannot recommend this beautiful work highly enough.
                    Finally my favourite symphony and work of all, Vaughan Williams Symphony no 5. This has been my favourite work for 30 years since I was in my teens and my love for it is undiminished. It also a superbly written and original symphony. In the 4th tonality is continually undermined chromatically in the 5th it is more subtly undermined by modal means, before D major is finally established in the incredibly beautiful coda. Each movement is perfectly paced and not a note to long. For those who may be interested, it is well known that some ideas come from his then unfinished Pilgrims Progress, however a couple of others originate in a pageant from 1938 called ‘England’s Pleasant Land’. There is a recording of some extracts from this work (scored for wind band) and is fascinating to hear these ideas in embryonic form.

As usual any comments or discussion on any of these works will be most welcome.

Comment

Brilliant stuff and as usual sc many thanks.
                      Some favourites of mine in that list (Martinu,Shostakovich and of course RVW) and a lot I don't know.
                      I can't put into words what RVW 5 means to me,I can't live without it.
                      Almost like a drug that keeps me alive.......I'm starting to ramble.

Comment

Logging off to take my medication

Comment

Panufnik:
                          Symphony No. 7 ('Metasinfonia')
                          Symphony no. 8 ('Sinfonia votiva')
                          Concerto Festivo

Konzerthausorchester Berlin / Lukasz Borowicz

I've forgotten now what recently revived my interest in Panufnik, but I'm turning to him quite a bit lately. This recording is from CPO's ongoing series devoted to the orchestral music, this being volume no. 5. Sinfonia votiva is the only piece I'd heard before. Of the other two, Concerto Festivo made the bigger impression and will be returned to (the Metasinfonia is really a glorified organ concerto, and left me rather cold and unimpressed).

Comment

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                            Brilliant stuff and as usual sc many thanks.
                            Some favourites of mine in that list (Martinu,Shostakovich and of course RVW) and a lot I don't know.
                            I can't put into words what RVW 5 means to me,I can't live without it.
                            Almost like a drug that keeps me alive.......I'm starting to ramble.
                            Thanks ER, I would definitely recommend the Tubin if you don't already know it, also I think the Hanson & Miaskovsky would appeal to you. If you don't know Piston then the 2nd is a good introduction as is Schuman's 5th to that composer. Yes some real treasures in 1943. Will start 1944 tonight (Arnell 2 & Barber 2)!

Comment

Mozart:
                              Exultate, jubilate, KV165
                              Edith Mathis (soprano), Staatskapelle Dresden/Bernhard Klee;
                              Coronation Mass, KV317
                              Missa Brevis, KV220
                              Ave verum corpus, KV618
                              Regensburger Domchor, Chor und Symphonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks/Rafael Kubelik
                              Soloists include: Edith Mathis; Norma Procter; Tatiana Troyanos; Donald Grobe, Horst Laubenthal, John Shirley-Quirk
                              No recording information given.
                              On Deutsche Grammophon

Verdi Arias - Roberto Alagna
                              Roberto Alagna (tenor), Berliner Philharmoniker/Claudio Abbado
                              On EMI Classics
                              I find this to be a splendid mix of familiar and not so familiar Verdi sung by Alagna with splendid expression.

Webern:
                              Im Sommerwind Tone Poem (Idyll) for large orchestra after a poem by Bruno Wille (1904)
                              Passacaglia, Op.1
                              6 Orchestral Pieces, Op.6
                              5 Orchestral Pieces, Op.10
                              Symphony, Op.21
                              Variations, Op.30
                              Staatskapelle Dresden conducted by Giuseppe Sinopoli
                              Recorded: 1996 at Lukaskirche, Dresden
                              On Teldec/Apex
                              In my view this budget priced Teldec/Apex release must be one of the finest collections of Webern’s important orchestral music that is available on a single disc. From the Mahler-like high-romanticism of the tone poem Im Sommerwind to the late Variations for orchestra his fully established embracing of twelve-tone composition. Wonderfully played too by this crack German orchestra and the late Giuseppe Sinopoli; a most underrated conductor.

Comment

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
                                Thanks ER, I would definitely recommend the Tubin if you don't already know it, also I think the Hanson & Miaskovsky would appeal to you. If you don't know Piston then the 2nd is a good introduction as is Schuman's 5th to that composer. Yes some real treasures in 1943. Will start 1944 tonight (Arnell 2 & Barber 2)!
                                Thanks SC, ah Barber 2

Comment

Working...
                                X