This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitch View Post
    Stravinsky - Symphony in Three Movements. Igor Stravinsky, Columbia Symphony Orchestra.
    happened upon this interesting review of a BPO/Rattle disc containing the same work, Hitch.

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Elgar
      Symphony 2, Barenboim, LPO.

Not sure if I already had this, but picked it up on Sony Essential Classics for £1.99 in Oxfam.

I wonder if this is the best mastering of this recording - I may have heard it - I think on tape shortly after it came out,
      one of the best recordings I'd heard up to then or since I thought.

There's distortion noticeable on my equipment, but maybe that's just the equipment. Obviously (!!) I need to spend a lot more
      to get something better. Was this one ever issued as an SACD or indeed as a high res download? Forget the fact that the original was analogue - that doesn't matter. Highly recommended if you can get a version which doesn't obviously have distortion and/or your equipment can take it. Perhaps JLW will know.

Comment

Stravinsky - Symphony in Three Movements. Igor Stravinsky, Columbia Symphony Orchestra.

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
        happened upon this interesting review of a BPO/Rattle disc containing the same work, Hitch.

http://classicalcdreview.com/07630.html
        Most interesting. The movements do feel spasmodic, so it was enlightening to read that Stravinsky cobbled together parts from an unfinished concerto and a film soundtrack - a format that is essentially stop-start. The review mentions that critics noted a lack of thematic transformation or development in his symphonic works.

It also adds how newsreels influenced his compositions' programmatic impulse, yet thinks his music would be a "tough Hollywood sell". I'm not so sure about that. From time to time, Stravinsky's music eschewed development and settled into a rhythmic "groove" that was/is well suited to cinematic suspense scenes. Hollywood composers seem to have absorbed Stravinsky pretty thoroughly. There are parts of the Rite and the Symphony in Three Movements that remind me of soundtracks to thrillers of the 60s and 70s.

I don't want to labour the point. Film music is a sore point around these parts, I understand, and I'd rather not be responsible for getting Igor banned from these forums.
        Last edited by Hitch; 14-10-13, 16:22. Reason: For clarity, one hopes...

Comment

Cesar Franck: Piano Quintet;
          Ernest Chausson: String Quartet.

Michael Levinas(piano), Ludwig Quartet.
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Hitch View Post

Most interesting. The movements do feel spasmodic, so it was enlightening to read that Stravinsky cobbled together parts from an unfinished concerto and a film soundtrack - a format that is essentially stop-start. The review mentions that critics noted a lack of thematic transformation or development in his symphonic works.

It also adds how newsreels influenced his compositions' programmatic impulse, yet thinks his music would be a "tough Hollywood sell". I'm not so sure about that. From time to time, Stravinsky eschews development and settles into a rhythmic "groove" that is well suited to cinematic suspense scenes. Hollywood composers seem to have absorbed Stravinsky pretty thoroughly. There are parts of the Rite and the Symphony in Three Movements that remind me of soundtracks to thrillers of the 60s and 70s.

I don't want to labour the point. Film music is a sore point around these parts, I understand, and I'd rather not be responsible for getting Igor banned from these forums.
            well that would a quite an achievement, though not really a good one !!

I'm having a listen to my Michael T T version later hopefully, so I'll keep your comments in mind.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Henze:
              Sinfonie für Kammerorchester (1946/47, rev. 1963, 1991)
              Sinfonia N. 6 für zwei Orchester (1969, rev. 1994)
              Rundfunk-Sinfonieorchester Berlin/Marek Janowski
              Recorded 2012 Berlin
              Wergo

Gene Ammons (and his All Stars):
              ‘Groove Blues’
              Prestige (1958)
              ‘The Happy Blues’
              Prestige (1956)

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                Rautavaara 3.
                RSNO. /Lintu.

fabulous.
                i need to buy some more of his stuff.....

Box set still on your Christmas list is he Ts?

Heavily into 7 at the moment any more you, or anyone else, would recommend?

Comment

Mozart: Overture - The Magic Flute
                  Liszt: Piano Concerto No 1
                  Alfred Brendel (piano)

[interval]

Vaughan Williams: Symphony No 9

London Philharmonic Orchestra
                  Bernard Haitink
                  "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                    Alfred Brendel (piano)

[interval]

Bernard Haitink
                    Good one Pet ! I love that BH Magic Flute; can really 'see' him conducting that as I listen.

Comment

Haydn - Die Schöpfung. Karajan, Berlin PO.

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post

Good one Pet ! I love that BH Magic Flute; can really 'see' him conducting that as I listen.
                        Still dipping into Bernard Haitink the Philips Years plus others as appropriate. Enjoy the DSCH 15 tomorrow, Alison. <greenwithenvyemoticon>
                        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                          My favourite Proms of 2012 by a long shot - many thanks teams!
                          One of the truly memorable Proms of recent times. I was wary when I saw it listed, but both orchestra and conductor won me over utterly. Oh to have been there!

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                            Alfred Brendel (piano)

[interval]

Bernard Haitink
                            Nice to see so many forumistas spinning RVW 9 recently.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                              Henze:
                              Sinfonie für Kammerorchester (1946/47, rev. 1963, 1991)
                              Sinfonia N. 6 für zwei Orchester (1969, rev. 1994)
                              Rundfunk-Sinfonieorchester Berlin/Marek Janowski
                              Recorded 2012 Berlin
                              Wergo
                              I've been really impressed by Janowski's Henze, and have all four releases so far. I understand from Wergo that the cycle will be completed next year with the release of Symphonies 2 and 10.

Comment

Britten: Works for String Orchestra

Variations on a Theme of Frank Bridge
                                Simple Symphony
                                Lachrymae
                                Two Portraits
                                Elegy for Strings

Camerata Nordica / Terje Tønnesen

24/96 download of a new release from BIS for the Britten centenary, and a bit of a new take on the music. The performances suffer to a certain extent from BIS's legendary wide dynamic range, some of the tempi are unorthodox (a very slow and deliberate pace for the Playful Pizzicato's central section, for example), and excessively long pauses are inserted between variations in the Bridge. But the playing is exemplary (the Simple Symphony's Sentimental Sarabande is especially good), and the recording is admirably detailed, spacious and involving.
                                The Elegy was given its première performance at the BBC Proms on 31st August 2013 by Camerata Nordica, and this is its first recording.

Comment

Working...
                                X