Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kathryn Stott Announces Retirement

Kathryn Stott has announced her retirement from public performance effective at the end of this year. It seems like only yesterday, we were heralding a new talent with her Leeds prize winning performance. Sadly I have never seen (or heard) her live but cherish several of her recordings, including her Faure, Debussy and Bridge Phantasm. She had a particular sympathy for French repertoire and perhaps, surprisingly, Russian romantic repertoire.in which she also excelled. I suppose at 65, most of us think of retirement, but this is no age for a pianist. In fact,it's an age at which a lifetime's experience is often distilled into the most penetrating of performances. One only has to think today of Schiff's Schubert or Kempff's DG Beethoven cycle from the 60s for starters.

Website for Kathryn Stott, pianist, artistic director
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

By coincidence, clearing out a drawer yesterday, I found her Conifer cassette 'A Rachmaninov Collection'.

I've always admired her playing, and she is one of the few musicians in my opinion who can talk interestingly, and, on occasion, wittily, about music.

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
        By coincidence, clearing out a drawer yesterday, I found her Conifer cassette 'A Rachmaninov Collection'.

I've always admired her playing, and she is one of the few musicians in my opinion who can talk interestingly, and, on occasion, wittily, about music.
        I remember her as a Conifer artist, so wondered how much of her recorded legacy was still available.

Fortunately, quite a lot (on a variety of labels).

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
          Kathryn Stott has announced her retirement from public performance effective at the end of this year. It seems like only yesterday, we were heralding a new talent with her Leeds prize winning performance. Sadly I have never seen (or heard) her live but cherish several of her recordings, including her Faure, Debussy and Bridge Phantasm. She had a particular sympathy for French repertoire and perhaps, surprisingly, Russian romantic repertoire.in which she also excelled. I suppose at 65, most of us think of retirement, but this is no age for a pianist. In fact,it's an age at which a lifetime's experience is often distilled into the most penetrating of performances. One only has to think today of Schiff's Schubert or Kempff's DG Beethoven cycle from the 60s for starters.
          I’m sure she has her reasons. One must consider the possibility that she may have developed a repetitive use disorder from all of the years of playing, or other health and family issues

Comment

Working...
          X