Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Egregious self-indulgence

While I've been away I've been making some videos of my early pieces. Here are some of them. I hope you find something enjoyable, but in any case it's an interesting survey of how I got used to writing larger works. In general my aims were something that's enjoyable in the moment, rather than exploring any 'deep' dimension.

My symphony (1974-1975). I was 21-22). It was eventually played at Merton College, Oxford, in 1989.

My horn concerto (1976). A parody piece with absolutely no regard for natural horns. It's been played a few times since 1976.

https://youtu.be/BmpHlfCxtcI

Chibiabos The Musician (1977) written for the 1978 Andover Festival, but never performed because it was rather more difficult than expected.

My Clarinet Concerto (1979). Performed a few times, including (with piano) at the RCM. My personal favourite.

Fantasy Variations (1982) - came 2nd in a composition competition, but - alas! - never has been performed.

https://youtu.be/S95HxyWGNY4

Fascinating, Pabs - and don't worry about the self-indulgence (it's not as if you're trying to sell something!)
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Thanks for posting these. I look forward to hearing them in due course.

I think you deserve a round of applause . I know some will think this naive, but I do believe that if more of us engaged creatively with the arts there'd be more peace in the world. I'm reminded of something Vaughan Williams said : 'Make your own music, however simple, as long as it is truly your own.'

Comment

I well remember the improvising saxophonist Lol Coxhill announcing a number by saying, "We're often accused of gross self-indulgence for what we do, so for the next number we've decided we are going to be really self-indulgent for a change"!

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
            Thanks for posting these. I look forward to hearing them in due course.

I think you deserve a round of applause . I know some will think this naive, but I do believe that if more of us engaged creatively with the arts there'd be more peace in the world. I'm reminded of something Vaughan Williams said : 'Make your own music, however simple, as long as it is truly your own.'

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
              Vaughan Williams said : 'Make your own music, however simple, as long as it is truly your own.'
              I like that . I can still hum my four-bar composition for piano, one-finger, composed aged c.6. Sadly, no Mozart I. More self-humiliation than self-indulgence, were I to post it here.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

.....good to see you back Pabmusic....funnily enough I looked at your profile only 10 days ago wondering where you were...
                ....left me wondering if you had been blown away by aq typhoon or floods....
                bong ching

Comment

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                  .....good to see you back Pabmusic....funnily enough I looked at your profile only 10 days ago wondering where you were...
                  ....left me wondering if you had been blown away by aq typhoon or floods....
                  Still here. We all go through difficult times now and again.

Comment

Not an early work, but my George Butterworth entertainment. It comprises orchestrations of the Folk Songs From Sussex and Requiescat, among several unknown or incomplete Butterworth things. It is held together by Butterworth's own writings.

My own contribution was in putting it all into an hour-long 'small orchestra' format, and composing about 20% of the music (mainly in the final section).

The frustrating thing is that a conductor from South London was interested in looking at it a few years ago, but the pandemic put an end to that. I'd like to revive it someday.

It's for Narrator, Baritone and small orchestra.

I began writing this in December 2014, but my mother died unexpectedly in January - so I dedicated it to her. She would have understood this piece well, bein...
                    Last edited by Pabmusic; 01-02-24, 02:32.

Comment

Working...
                    X